Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    gator hpx 4x4

Default Re: JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE*

i do live in the deepest of south louisiana too where it's always hot even in the winter.lol so this choke thing would probably be good for anyone who is in a cooler climate than me
    This ignore feature is great it's like raid is on pest one click and the pest is gone

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    kubota L4350

Kyle in Tex,
    Do you have a part number for the new carb? I have an 02 mule that is such a pain in the butt to crank. I too have drilled out the brass buttons and have adusted those screws many times. I'm considering just ordering the new carb and being done with it.
    Ken

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

I can get you one but I'm at work right now.
    The measure of any man's virtue is what he would do, if he had neither the laws, nor public opinion, or even his own prejudices to control him. - William Hazlitt

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Bigk56,
    Here is the JD part #: MIA10675

The JD label is glued right over the Kawasaki part #15003-2996

JD had it stocked in the warehouse and I had it in 3 days w/o paying any shipping.
    The measure of any man's virtue is what he would do, if he had neither the laws, nor public opinion, or even his own prejudices to control him. - William Hazlitt

I experienced all the problems discussed in this thread with my 2004 JD Gator HPX. Difficulty starting in any condition (hot or cold), needing to pull choke and give gas to start, minor backfiring while driving, only one spark plug was black, etc. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the old carburetor and complete service without success. Finally, I purchased and installed the replacement carburetor today (part# MIA10675). Perfect! The HPX now starts without even pulling the choke every time. I even left it outside for 2 hours and was able to start it with ease - first time! No backfiring and running perfectly. I am convinced there was an inherent flaw in the original carburetor. It was $500 well spent. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Glad you got your machine fixed. It will be a lot more enjoyable now to drive.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 195D (for sale)

My 610 was a miserable thing to start from day 1. So bad in fact that I couldn't keep batteries in it. the starter would run them down to the point that the charge system couldn't keep up. even went to 400 amp utility battery. Then I checked the spark plug. manual calls for .028-.032" gap, I opened it up t0 .040" and it is like a new machine. easy start and all.
    amazing how something so simple can cause so much grief.
    Tractors are like women. All nice, Just some nicer than others!!

Tractor
    gator hpx 4x4

that could be a reason why my hpx startes up good . i gap my plugs at.37 instead of 32 or less.
    This ignore feature is great it's like raid is on pest one click and the pest is gone

Tractor
    Deere 755

Our '08 HPX has always started quite easily since getting it in June. In fact, in another thread (or maybe this one-I should check) I reported that it was necessary to push in the choke almost immediately after starting to keep it from stalling, and choke was never necessary after the first start of the day.

Well, last weekend it was in the 20s here in New England, and i found i actually needed to leave the choke out for 40-50 seconds after starting, in order to keep it running. And, it wanted a brief choking after sitting a while in the cold. I'm really impressed with the fact that this engine isn't at all reluctant to run or pull within minutes of starting.

Just posting this so others will know that at least our HPX starts easily and runs well from cold. The salesman suggested we consider the 620i for improved cold starts, but our experience suggests that wasn't important.
    Jerry

JD 755 w/70 loader, 60" MMM, LandPride FDR2560, Artillian Forks, Brush Bandit chipper, Woods RB60 blade, 48" KKII tiller, DR LeafVac
    Gator HPX 4x4 Gas,Cat 303c CR mini-ex

Tractor
    Kubota L4400DT, w/FEL

Quote Originally Posted by ducksjunk View Post
    My 610 was a miserable thing to start from day 1. So bad in fact that I couldn't keep batteries in it. the starter would run them down to the point that the charge system couldn't keep up. even went to 400 amp utility battery. Then I checked the spark plug. manual calls for .028-.032" gap, I opened it up t0 .040" and it is like a new machine. easy start and all.
    amazing how something so simple can cause so much grief.
    This is the best advise ever! I did it too, and WOW! now I have to lower my idle, because it runs so much better! Thanks for the tip. Dave
    If God didn't intend you to drink and fish, he wouldn't have invented bobbers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast