JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE*

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #1  

gpa311

Tractor
MTD Lawn Tractor (Breaks almost every time I use it!!)
I managed to get the name of a big JD Rep in my area and questioned him on the "Kawasaki Engine Hard Start" issue. He was well aware of the problem and stated that not all of the Kawasaki engines have the problem. He agreed that choking is, of course, normal when starting a cold engine; however, it should not be necessary to "pat" the gas pedal like is required on my HPX. He went on to say that the idle can be adjusted higher (just a hair) and this usually straightens things out.
Anyway, I sent my HPX to the Dealer today for the idle adjustment to be accomplished. I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference.
Also, the JD Rep said JD is working on a solution to help the Kawasaki's start up better.
GPA

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE*
Okay. I got the HPX back this morning. She sat for about 7 hours (should be cold, right?). I pulled the choke, turned the key........BINGO! I DID NOT have to pat the gas pedal! I guess adjusting the idle up a hair did the trick!
I must say, this renews my confidence in the Kawasaki Engine....what a difference a few RPM can make!!
GPA

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #3  
I don't usually drag up an old thread like this unless I have some important info. The adjustments don't fix the problem. Read on:

Our 4x2 HPX (I think the 1st year model)has always had to give it full choke, depress gas 1/2 way down and she'd start. Turn it off for 10 minutes (while she's still hot) and you have to use the same procedure. It had been to the dealer for all the possible "adjustment" remedies to no avail.

I asked the service advisor if he'd check the latest JD remedies, and the last one he came up with recommended carburetor replacement. $370 Ouch!

Well, thought about it for a couple of weeks and decided to bite the bullet. Ordered the carb, simple install, and whalaa, IT IS SO MUCH BETTER. It will almost start without choke, it idles perfectly without fear of dying. :):):) It is like driving a new gator now. Just wish I'd done it years ago. I couldn't tell any perceptable differences between the old carb and the new. I didn't tear the new one apart but kept the old one just in case. BTW, the plugs were BLACK from way overly rich condition.

I pretty much blame Kawasaki as much as JD for the faulty carb. The new carb came in a Kawasaki box with a JD label covering the Kawi's part #.
My FIL bought this gator used with about 50 hours on it and over a year old so the warranty was over.

So if anyone out there has an older HPX with this condition, I'm telling you the new carb will definitely fix the problem. Hope you don't wear out your starter trying to start yours.

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #4  
Hey Kyle,

Is that the same vehicle that you gave our kids a ride on at Don's place?

Nice to hear you found the problem, I've had similar issues with Holley Caberators on my dumpt truck. First one that I put on it solved one prolem, but cause a new, different one. It took three brand new caberators to get one that worked right. Fortunataley I was dealing with Summit, and they were really good about it.

What HP and model is that engine? I just bout a new lawn mower with a 26hp water cooled Kawasaki engine on it.

Eddie

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #5  
Yes, Eddie it's the same one. It has a 650cc V-twin water cooled Kawi engine. The engines are suppossedly good to go but the carbs that Kawi stuck on these things weren't right. Whose fault? I'm sure somebody somewhere knows but I'm just glad it's fixed but it took $373 for a new carb and 2 new plugs.

I would recommend the engines. I wanted a new Gator with fuel injection but now that this one is fixed, I'm happy. It almost starts just looking at the key now!:D:D:D

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #6  
i think i'll stick with just pulling the choke for a second and then pushing it back in . my hpx starts with in 2/3 seconds of me turning the key then i push the choke back in and it's good to go i can't see paying almost 400.00 bucks for that. good to know you fixed your's though.are you sure you didn't just need a carb tuneup. and what year did you have?mine is a 04,hpx

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #7  
Kyle, our Mule has always needed full choke to start first thing each day, but it starts easily when warm. It does take some skill to adjust the choke during warmup. My grankids always have a problem with something that does not have automatic choke or electronic fuel injection. Modern automobiles have really spoiled people since they start and run so well.

I need to pull the plugs and check their appearance because the Mule has always used more gas than I'd prefer. I hear people talk about how little fuel their Mules or Gators use and I've never been impressed with the fuel usage on ours. The plugs will probably tell the tale of fuel mixture. We have around 350 hours on our Mule and the original plugs.

Eddie: I think your Kawasaki engine is a little larger than ours. Ours are around 20 hp instead of the 26 hp yours has.

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #8  
I am not sure about the year model but I believe it is the 1st year the HPX came out. Maybe the 2nd. So maybe 2002 or 2003?

Trust me, I've been around motorcycles since old Honda SL100's in 1971. Really my bro had the super 90 before that and a Cushman too.

Maybe, with enough time and patience I could've researched the jetting I could have maybe fixed it but since my FIL offered to pay for the carb I just ordered it.

Jinman, does your mule need to be choked after sitting for 10 minutes (with a hot engine)?

Tommy, it sounds like yours is OK, start with choke and push it in as it warms up. The key problem ours had was you had to choke it AND give it at least halfway gas pedal. This is a symptom of a bad choke fuel circuit. I noticed on the new carb, there are some pressed in brass balls in some circuits that the old had some adjustment screws. (I know all about drilling out brass plugs on Jap carbs). I believe there is an inherent, unfixable, unjettable problem with the old 2003 carbs. Otherwise, JD would have offered to change jets more than likely (low $ fix). I think if they had sold more of them, they'd had alot more negative feedback. This may be the only 4X2 my dealer sold that year.

Anyhow, it runs like its suppossed to now. Starts, idles, and accelerates without any missing.

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #9  
Our new (build date June 4 2008) HPX wants choke to start first thig in the morning, but you gotta push it in right away. Never needs choking the rest of the day to restart. That'll probably change once we get some honest New England winter weather.

Judging by all I've read, there must've been some real changes to the carburetion-JD even advertises it.

/ JD GATOR STARTING PROBLEM (KAWASAKI ENG.) *UPDATE* #10  
Jinman, does your mule need to be choked after sitting for 10 minutes (with a hot engine)?

Generally no. It can be a little hard to start, but my right foot seems to know exactly what to do with the accelerator pedal to get it to start. Starting is not the Mule's "strong suit" by any means. From your description, our Mule is not nearly as hard to start as your Gator was, but it is certainly less than optimum. However, our choke is on the dash panel just left of the steering wheel. Both Kathy and I automatically reach for the choke if the Mule turns over for more than a couple of seconds without starting. We also know that you have to pull the choke handle and hold it all the way out for full choke. When you release it, it instantly goes to a 3/4 choke position. If you go to full choke when the Mule is warm, it won't start either.