Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to?

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #1  

kjm3232

Silver Member
Tractor
power-trac 1430
Hi we bought a 96 Kawasaki bayou from my wife's cousin in may. We had the carburetor rebuilt by the Kawasaki dealer in June.it was fine until the other day.i was turning it on every couple days just to charge the battery. Yesterday I started it and did other chores when I came back it was off due to no gas. I put gas in and restarted it. Ran it for another five minutes or so and shut it off. This afternoon went into our shed and smelled gas and saw a puddle on the floor. Saw that it came from a hose that was connected to the bottom of the carburetor but the other end was disconnected and just hanging down. I looked for a place where it connects to but didn't see any obvious place to attach it. So can someone tell me where it connects to? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,219
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,273
   / Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #2  
My guess is that is a water trap and there should be a plug in the end of it. The water is heavier than gas and settles in the tube. You take the plug off every so often and drain the water out. Without the plug in the end gas would just pour out.

Edit I think where your holding it is the valve assembly that opens and closes the tube to drain the water????????????

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #3  
Is there possibly a screw on the other side of the bowl bottom for a shut off?

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #4  
That is an "over flow"tube;just so the gas doesn't drip on the motor;not connected to anything.Your carb float is stuck or have a bad needle and seat.On mine(apart a hundred times),just shut-off the fuel shut off when not using.Do not plug it;you could flood the motor and ruin it.

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #5  
Most atv carbs have a hose off the bottom of the bowl to prevent gas from running onto the engine when the float valve doesn't seal it connect to an overflow tube inside the carb . If that is what it is then the rebuild didn't last long, which is not surprising with todays fuel issues, But if you plug that line it will cause the carb to overflow and fill the cylinder, air cleaner box, and possibly the crankcase with gas.

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #6  
That is an "over flow"tube;just so the gas doesn't drip on the motor;not connected to anything.Your carb float is stuck or have a bad needle and seat.On mine(apart a hundred times),just shut-off the fuel shut off when not using.Do not plug it;you could flood the motor and ruin it.

I think Birdman got it--two issues unassociated.

Hose is for draining the water out of the carburetor bowl end of/beginning of season/before removal. Rerouting can be a pain and may have been missed?

Gas pouring out sounds like stuck float valve. May just have got the needle stuck up. Pull air intake boot and see if it travels freely down and see. If not I'd pull the carb & check everythings clean and moving freely. 96 should be straight forward.

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #7  
FWIW...adding Seafoam to the fuel will often free up sticking float valves etc...

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #8  
Do yourself a favor and learn how to clean out the carb. It is a fairly simple task that will be greatly aided with a cheap harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner. The guys at the Kawi dealership are going to stick you for 90 bucks an hour each time, so that learning will save you tons over the long haul. In some cases, it's best to just replace the carburetor. A new carb is 30 to 50 bucks on amazon (if yours is a Bayou 220). For comparison, the oem needle valve: VALVE-FLOAT,#1.5 (16:(-166) | MotoSport is 38 dollars from motosport. New oem carb is 350 bucks. Ouch.

Pull the carburetor and take the float bowl off and we can likely guide you.

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #9  
I'd guess it's an overflow tube for when the float gets stuck. I watched someone tap a carburettor with a hammer. That actually worked and the float unstuck. The truck that had set for 8 years ran fine after that.

/ Hose on bottom of carborator where does it connect to? #10  
MotoSport[/url] is 38 dollars from motosport. New oem carb is 350 bucks.

I run a Chinese replacement carb on my 86 Bayou 300. It took a lot of tweaking to get it to run right, including
modifying the jets for richer mixture and the cable controls. AND the float needle leaked.

The OEM carb (Keihin) is far far superior to the Chinese units, from my experience with about 10 of them. The
only reason to replace the OEM is if corrosion has destroyed any part of the carcass. A used OEM carb on
eBay is a crap-shoot cuz it may be corroded inside. New is indeed over $350.

The drain valve screw on the bottom or the carb is indeed used to drain out old gas/water from the
carb. But that is also where you get corrosion from water sitting in there. Sometimes, opening that
screw is a mistake, as then it refuses to seal again. Best to take off the bowl and clean it. The hose
directs the effluent to the ground, or container.