50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I did the 50 Hr maintenance on my new Kubota RTV X1100C this weekend, it included such things as engine oil and filter change , and both transmission filters and of course the many many many grease points to do. I was disappointed on Kubota's lack of thinking when it came to access to the filters for example. The engine oil filter is buried and after you remove the large engine protection plate , the filter is still buried behind cables and tight against a rad hose. Also even though it looked like it would be a breeze to change the transmission filters at back of engine just sitting on a stool .......except that the space only allows your wrench to turn barely a half inch at a time. I did like that you only lose less than a litre of UDT fluid doing those two. It was nice to learn the machine, although the operator guide is vague on some of the grease locations . How did everyone else find their first maintenance on their Kubota side by side ?

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #2  
I thought the service was average difficulty/annoyance for a Japanese product, except for one stubborn filter and lack of information in the owner's manual. Here's a thread I started:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...x1120d-hydraulic-fluid-system.html?highlight=

Upshot: make sure you check the reservoir dipstick under the seat and top that off after the filter changes. This appears to be an oversight in the owner's manual. The only reason I got clued into this was that I lost more fluid than the rear dipstick suggested, so I went looking for another place to check/add fluid. In hindsight it seems totally logical, but the owner's manual doesn't talk about that other reservoir or dipstick in the section on filter changes, so it would be easy to overlook.

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C
Thanks for old link s219.........you went thru same problem as I with a very tight filter (the bigger black one) . I was lucky that mine deformed enough before it split that I was able to get a better grip to turn it those half inch at a time until rubber gasket released. Also I knew I had lost a litre or more of fluid so when transmission dipstick didn't show it , I looked for the other dipstick and fill location under the seat (buried in my operators manual unrelated to filter change) So I filled the missing litre and half there and everything was good. One other thing that happened when I bought the filters and fluid from dealer , the parts guy was adamant that both those two filters were same and wanted to give me two same .........I brought him over to a RTV same model on the floor and showed him different diameter size........we called Kubota and it ended up he had not put the - dash between RTV-X1100C and was in error looking at wrong engine.......... Kubota admitted their parts listing were confusing.........good thing I was stubborn and did not rely on parts guy to get it right .......we both learned something that day.......by the way that bigger filter was $56 CDN ridiculous, I think after warranty expired I will have to look up substitutes. (anyone done that yet?)

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #4  
Thanks for old link s219.........you went thru same problem as I with a very tight filter (the bigger black one) . I was lucky that mine deformed enough before it split that I was able to get a better grip to turn it those half inch at a time until rubber gasket released. Also I knew I had lost a litre or more of fluid so when transmission dipstick didn't show it , I looked for the other dipstick and fill location under the seat (buried in my operators manual unrelated to filter change) So I filled the missing litre and half there and everything was good. One other thing that happened when I bought the filters and fluid from dealer , the parts guy was adamant that both those two filters were same and wanted to give me two same .........I brought him over to a RTV same model on the floor and showed him different diameter size........we called Kubota and it ended up he had not put the - dash between RTV-X1100C and was in error looking at wrong engine.......... Kubota admitted their parts listing were confusing.........good thing I was stubborn and did not rely on parts guy to get it right .......we both learned something that day.......by the way that bigger filter was $56 CDN ridiculous, I think after warranty expired I will have to look up substitutes. (anyone done that yet?)

Sometimes, yo gotta question the parts guys although they are generally pretty good...I, personally, wouldn't put any non-Kubota filter on any of mine..Risk is wayyyy too high.

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #5  
Kubota shop manual is poorly written also. I also did some work on Kitamur CNC machine same problem, factory service guy laughed and said you don't read Jinglish. There is no mention of color codes for wiring anywhere in the manual. Can't find any pics about where all the grease fittings are

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #6  
Thanks to these forums I learned how much KUBOTA are to service, so when haggling over the sale price I got enough supplies for 50h and 200h service, filters and UDT fluid. Got 25% off on supplies, 15% of unit with bed liner, rear window guard 40% off , cvc guards free, WSM free

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #7  
That first oil change is a challenge. My biggest gripe is removing the skid plates to drain the oil. Have to remove the rear one just to get to the drain plug but the oil will hit the front skid plate and go everywhere. I've started removing both skid plates when I change the oil. I found a large amount of mud built up that needed to be cleaned anyway. Not easy to try to hold up that large skid plate and replace the bolts. I think they could have come up with something better.

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #8  
Could you use a fumoto valve and just hook a hose to it when you change it? I haven’t even studied up on mine yet.

Brett

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #9  
A fumoto valve would probably extend below the skid plate so couldn't be used. The diesel JD Gators I had were just as hard to change the oil on. A real pain to change the oil filter and fuel filter but you didn't have to remove a skid plate.

/ 50 Hr Service on 2017 Kubota RTV-X1100C #10  
Taking the skid plate on and off is the only challenging part of changing the oil and filters IMO. I use a combination of 2x4's and small jacks to help me out. You'll also figure out that some of the screws are easier to put in first, so if one doesn't want to catch the threads try another. Don't torque them all up until you have all of the screws in. Once everything is aligned then tighten.

As you have already noticed, watch out for the small elbow shaped radiator hose next to the oil filter. I've destroyed one when I was trying to go to fast one day. Cheap part and easy change out, but better to avoid it.

There are basically only two dipsticks to worry about. The one on the engine for the oil, which is obvious, and then there is one under the passenger seat. You will need to check this one as well after you change out the hydraulic filters and add a bit of oil. The manual is not clear about this, at all.

Grease points are numerous. About three per wheel is from what I remember. Figure out where they are and remember for next time. I like to use an expensive synthetic grease so I don't have to worry about greasing it up but a couple times a year.