RTV 1100 shifting problem

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
A couple of years ago we bought a used RTV 1100. It has always been balky at shifting, but, in the worst case, all I've had to do is shut off the engine to get shifted. However, this morning, it went into Midrange, Neutral and Reverse a couple of times without obvious issues, then, when taking it out of midrange, it slipped up into High range and nothing I can do will get it out of High. (FWIW, I also cannot get it to move out of 4wd). When it did this, of course I was about two feet from an obstacle, so I had to use my tractor to drag it back far enough to drive (in High) back to the house.
This unit is vintage 2009 -2011 (I can't remember which year).
Do RTV 1100's have a history of issues with shifting, or did I just get lucky?
Does anybody have experience/suggestions that would help me correct the problem?

Thanks,
Bob

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #2  
A couple of years ago we bought a used RTV 1100. It has always been balky at shifting, but, in the worst case, all I've had to do is shut off the engine to get shifted. However, this morning, it went into Midrange, Neutral and Reverse a couple of times without obvious issues, then, when taking it out of midrange, it slipped up into High range and nothing I can do will get it out of High. (FWIW, I also cannot get it to move out of 4wd). When it did this, of course I was about two feet from an obstacle, so I had to use my tractor to drag it back far enough to drive (in High) back to the house.
This unit is vintage 2009 -2011 (I can't remember which year).
Do RTV 1100's have a history of issues with shifting, or did I just get lucky?
Does anybody have experience/suggestions that would help me correct the problem?

Thanks,
Bob

I have an RTV1100--2009 vintage and yes it can be a bit of an argument to move the trans lever under heavy load--Normally pushing down hard on the brake relieves the hydro pressure and the shifter will move. I have to back up a very steep hill when plowing and that has worked for me for the last 9 or so years.

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #3  
There is a relieve valve that is actuated by cable when you press down on the brake pedal, and sometimes it needs to be adjusted (especially if the cable has stretched). So check on that. It makes a big difference.

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think that is the (only/main?) problem, since even when the engine is shut off (and the pressure is presumably relieved) I still can't move the shifter (or the 4wd/2wd lever).

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #5  
That doesn’t necessarily mean anything — I can see how there would still be mechanical force on the gears if the engine is shut off without first relieving the pump pressure/flow. I don’t know enough about the HST setup to say for sure.

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #6  
+1 on what s219 said in the post above. I can also see how you'd have trouble disengaging 4 wheel drive, if the front wheels are cranked one way or the other, for the same reason.

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem
With some searching, I found a couple of old (2008 or so) threads here that covered this issue...and the problems with having Kubota service the problem adequately.
Since I don't have a place to work out of the weather, and have seriously limited mechanical competence, I've shipped the unit in to town to the dealer to get the problem corrected.
When I get it back, I'll try to remember to post an update on the results.

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #8  
Hope it’s an easy fix ! My 900 locked up , dealer got it straightened out, guess a fork jumped out of position.

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #9  
I'll take a shot. I believe it's a shifting fork problem. More common that I think it should be.

Not picking on anyone here. It's usually caused by trying to force the shifter. The system uses a "rail" with the forks running on that rail. You have a fork that's flexed far enough to jump out of the gear it's supposed to be moving.

It's a relatively simple fix but if you don't have a warm place to work on it I'd agree that it should go to the shop. The top cover of the transmission needs to be removed to fix the problem.

The shop may also suggest replacing the fork that was dislodged to help prevent this happening again. The fork might be slightly bent and dislodge easier next time.

Hope it turns out to be this simple to fix. :)

/ RTV 1100 shifting problem #10  
Hope it’s an easy fix ! My 900 locked up , dealer got it straightened out, guess a fork jumped out of position.
This happened with my 2006 RTV 900.They put some type of kit on it cured the problem never happened again.