UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel.

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I have been thinking about a UTV for around our 85ac. We are building a horse farm and could use it many times over.

However, at this point, the only compelling reason I can come up with, which makes sense, is because it won't leave as deep of ruts in the field in comparison to my farm pickup, an F350 dually diesel 4 door.

I cannot believe the cost of these machines. I've driven and would like the Kubota 1140 however, priced out with a windshield, mudflaps, tail-light protectors, and a auxillary hydro pump, costs just shy of $20K!

I know these machines are different animals and perform a different function, but holy cow! Is the demand that high that they can command this sort of price? I guess it must be, because I see them scattered around all the time.

My basis is for person (1-2) transport around the farm as well as the ability to haul a few bales of hay, some dirt (tilt bed), air compressor etc. I know in choosing the RTV-1140, I am looking at the top end big boy, but still, it is far more than it seems to be reasonable. I figured it would give me the most 'Utility' around the place.

I have a Land Pride seeder which in all actuality is crap. It was a new purchase last fall, and I would NOT purchase it again. My thinking was to trade it in and get a UTV. However, it would likely only cover a little over 1/2 the cost.

Anyway... enough of my crotchety-ness.

How do you guys come to grips with the cost of these things?
Do you have any good quality alternatives?
What are your recommendations on used vs new?

Kubota 1140.JPG

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #3  
I personally could not justify the cost of a new side by side. I found a well used Toro Workman for $1800. It has 3000 hours but is solid and can haul 1200#. I have been well pleased with it's performance considering what I have tied up in it.

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #5  
A small used (Tacoma, Ranger, S10) pickup makes much more sense dollar wise. Even if you bought some wide tires & wheels for a similar footprint of a UTV. If you got anywhere near the price of a UTV, you'd have a nice used truck that would take you to the feed store as well. I have a big place and my F-450 does those UTV chores while my wife uses the Kaw. Mule to play in the yard.

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #6  
You think the price is high for starters, just start repairing them.

People don't seem to realize, our currency is going to S%#T.

If someone in China would build a very basic high quality UTV (No Flames or Wild Plastic), Diesel Engine, manual tranny and BIG wheels, at a good price, I don't see how they could go wrong. But this is not the world we live in, and the buying public is just too daft and buys into the fansy, expensive, poor value garbage instead.

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #7  
I bought an '08 RTV900 with 180 hrs for $5500. That was hard to swallow. But I figured I was under market value enough that I could get out from under it if I didn't like it. That was two years ago. Still have it. Fills a definite niche. I treat it like a mini Diesel 4x4 dump truck. It don't complain.

No way I could do $20K.

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #8  
We bought a used RTV900 for 7k two years ago... not a single issue around the Christmas Tree farm... the hydrostatic is a great safety feature on the steep hills...

I have a Samurai that I paid $1050 for with a bad transmission and worn out top... cost $80 for the transmission bearing and $200 for the top... that was in 1998... only thing spent since is on second battery, oil change and gas... it really gets around and hauls very well...

The RTV has a tight 3 across seating and hydraulic dump... plus no clutch...

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #9  
You should be able to purchase a Yamaha Viking for about $12,000(new).They have the best CTV system by far.On another note Kubota just came out with a gas motor/ctv transmission unit;don't know the cost.
We have had good luck with our Yamaha machines.

/ UTV madness... more than my F350 dually diesel. #10  
I have been thinking about a UTV for around our 85ac. We are building a horse farm and could use it many times over.

However, at this point, the only compelling reason I can come up with, which makes sense, is because it won't leave as deep of ruts in the field in comparison to my farm pickup, an F350 dually diesel 4 door.

I cannot believe the cost of these machines. I've driven and would like the Kubota 1140 however, priced out with a windshield, mudflaps, tail-light protectors, and a auxillary hydro pump, costs just shy of $20K!

I know these machines are different animals and perform a different function, but holy cow! Is the demand that high that they can command this sort of price? I guess it must be, because I see them scattered around all the time.

My basis is for person (1-2) transport around the farm as well as the ability to haul a few bales of hay, some dirt (tilt bed), air compressor etc. I know in choosing the RTV-1140, I am looking at the top end big boy, but still, it is far more than it seems to be reasonable. I figured it would give me the most 'Utility' around the place.

I have a Land Pride seeder which in all actuality is crap. It was a new purchase last fall, and I would NOT purchase it again. My thinking was to trade it in and get a UTV. However, it would likely only cover a little over 1/2 the cost.

Anyway... enough of my crotchety-ness.

How do you guys come to grips with the cost of these things?
Do you have any good quality alternatives?
What are your recommendations on used vs new?

View attachment 542108

Oh, hello again...from another fellow Kentuckian. I paid 10,000 for my Polaris Ranger HD in August 2010. I have since added a ton of stuff to it like a full cab and heater...but that wasn't necessary. When you talk about spending 20K you are talking about the highest end on the spectrum you can buy...sort of like me saying all trucks are $75,000 because the one I priced and looked at was a Denali 3500 Duramax.....

I LOVE my Polaris Ranger to death. Out of all my stuff (I have LOTS of stuff) this is hands down my favorite. You won't be disappointed. My ranger will probably bring about 8 grand right now and it is loaded down with all sorts of goodies I added on it and it has TONS of life left in it...So check out the used market. The used market in Kentucky is fantastic. After that check out the full size Polaris Ranger 570. That is a nice low cost Ranger that will haul and do EVERYTHINNG and I mean EVERTHING you throw at it.

Lastly, I have a friend in Somerset not too farm from you who is about to trade his gator. Let me know if you are interested in it.