Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE!

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE!
. . . I haven't checked the specs, but I suspect that the 1120 is longer than the 900. . .
According to Kubota's website, the two machines are exactly the same size, with the 1120 weighing about 90# more. (I suspect the weight difference is just the larger engine)
Now, the 1140 is 21" longer than the 900 or 1120, but it has two rows of seats. I'm not interested in the "crew" cab though.

I was just wondering if I would regret buying the 900 with the slightly smaller engine and a little less HP. I have 3 FWD tractors and I'm not looking to replace one of them. I'm looking to replace an ATV for farm chores.

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #22  
According to Kubota's website, the two machines are exactly the same size, with the 1120 weighing about 90# more. (I suspect the weight difference is just the larger engine)
Now, the 1140 is 21" longer than the 900 or 1120, but it has two rows of seats. I'm not interested in the "crew" cab though.

I was just wondering if I would regret buying the 900 with the slightly smaller engine and a little less HP. I have 3 FWD tractors and I'm not looking to replace one of them. I'm looking to replace an ATV for farm chores.

My mistake -- I was confusing the 1120 and the 1140.:ashamed:

Steve

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #23  
I think the answer depends on the # of people you want to transport. Back before my wife passed, our RTV 900 accommodated her, our Lab, and me in the one row of seating with no problem other than the Lab overlapping the passenger's lap.:) Seating for three adults would be a stretch. I haven't checked the specs, but I suspect that the 1120 is longer than the 900. I have some trails with tight turns that would have to be modified to accommodate a 1140.

Steve

Ditto on the turn radius, these are not atv's. Sometimes it take a bit of maneuvering to get around, but 4 seats is really nice when you have visitors, or two dogs and a passenger.

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #24  
One of the biggest problems is> they sip fuel.. that may not seem like a problem but>> the fuel sits in the tank & goes bad.. big problem.
Not as big of a problem as a gas motor but is more expensive to fix..
You should become familiar w/ removing the injection pump.. the control rack will stick because of bad fuel..
& taking it in for repair is very expensive.. They charge THAT MUCH because they can, is the only reason..
Another thing is the air cleaning system.. filters & such.. ALOT of 900's in the scrap yard because of "dusted" engines..
Just do you maintenance on it regularly.. CHECK & TIGHTEN the air system REGULARLY.. Change the engine oil before its due & keep the fuel filters changed ATLEAST 2x a year & she would be a good choice for anyone..
ALOT of maintenance comes w/ owning a diesel..

Diesel fuel does not go bad at least in my area. I had a stored 1982 Kubota where the weeds had grown up through the engine area, seat area etc. It sat there with flat tires and a dead battery for 15 years. One day as a joke I put air in the tires replaced the battery and that beast started right up. I ran it hard for another 4 years before I decided to sell it. Never changed the oil or hydro fluid on it in that nearly 20 years. Heck I never even greased it. The pins holding the front end loader were worn down 50%. The teeth on the hydraulic pump for the chain were worn down 100% as was the chain which was paper thin from wear.
Before the sale I treated her nice for the first time in 20 years. Changed all the fluids, greased it up, new filters, and I actually hated to see that tractor go. It was an M4500 and pull like a freight train.

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #25  
The newer diesel fuel is not as stable as the old was.

David

OK, my search is over. (for the UTV, but not the add-ons) Made a deal on the RTV-X900 diesel today. 2018, Camo, $14k. (out-the-door, title and local taxes incl) This is the closest dealer to me. (18 miles) And I've known the salesman since he was born. I'm really glad that I could do business at home.

Now, I'll be looking for a good after-market windshield and winch, for sure. Any good recommendations for those? (the salesman told me not to pay Kubota prices for those)

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #27  
Congratulations... it's a good feeling to be pleased with your purchaser after putting in the research.

We have the Kubota windshield... it's good but the expensive glass one.

The plastic is way cheaper but prone to scratching... but if careful should also provide good value...

Any windshield provides some protection from the elements.

I thought about a winch but as much as I like the coolness factor I have managed well with a nylon tug strap and a choker for dragging things... if I were to get stuck the winch could be handy.... but around the ranch not really a consideration.

Ultra,
Thanks.

I like the idea of the real glass windshield, but I'm not laying down a grand. I want a good, scratch-resistant plastic, and prefer a fold-down for summer time. It's not unusual for us to have 95-100 degree days in July/August.

Probably gotta have a winch. I have 6 creek crossings on my fence row. I'm pretty sure it will be a necessity.

And, something that I forgot earlier, I have to have a gun rack. (rifle) The Mini-14 needs a place to ride along. :)

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #29  
It does get over a 100 for days at a time here... but generally it comes with low humidity... lack of air circulation as never been a problem.

I can see where a winch could be very useful with water obstacles...

Is there such a thing as water proof electric winches?

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #30  
Before I put money out for a windshield, I'd use the RTV without one and decide if I really needed one. I've done without one for going on eight years now without any undue hardship.

WRT the winch, I welded a 2" receiver to the front of the RTV and bolted a Warn 8000 lb winch to a Harbor Freight hitch. Rigged up welding cable connectors to the battery on the truck, tractor, and RTV, and can move the winch where it's needed.

Good luck with your new purchase.