Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE!

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I have a 100+ acre farm, mostly raising and selling hay. I want a UTV to use here. (currently using 4-wheelers and pulling a trailer) I have to maintain my hay meadows and grazing land, surrounded by about 4 miles of fence, which includes repair, trimming trees and brush, spraying for weeds, etc. This will be strictly a farm vehicle. I don't go mud riding.

Looking at a 2004 Kubota 900 UTV Diesel 4x4 with 300 hours. They're asking $6k. (a little high, I think) A diesel UTV really appeals to me, since I have a bulk fuel tank. (one less thing I have to haul gas for)

My questions are:
1. Was this a good, solid, dependable side-by-side, or do I need to run away?
2. If it's a good machine, what are the problem areas I need to look closely at?
3. If you don't think this is a good choice, which UTV would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #2  
2004 with 300 hours for $6k? Tell me where so I can go buy it.

Get bigger tires for it. I take mine in 2wd where I won't take my Kubota L4330 tractor in 4wd. I bought ITP Blackwater Evolutions for it, one size bigger than OEM. 8 ply, tough tire. Don't buy ATV tires for it, they aren't tough enough.

Add a rifle rack to it plus a couple light bars. It's essentially a UTV tractor.

bmtsuhj.jpg

XV9WbKy.jpg

7NXWcB6.jpg

HKOFZkG.jpg

Good luck!

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE!
FTG,
I appreciate your thoughts.
Yeah, the gun rack would be a necessity. Need a spot for the Mini-14. I would also want a windshield.
What year is yours? Good looking ride! :thumbsup:

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #4  
One of the biggest problems is> they sip fuel.. that may not seem like a problem but>> the fuel sits in the tank & goes bad.. big problem.
Not as big of a problem as a gas motor but is more expensive to fix..
You should become familiar w/ removing the injection pump.. the control rack will stick because of bad fuel..
& taking it in for repair is very expensive.. They charge THAT MUCH because they can, is the only reason..
Another thing is the air cleaning system.. filters & such.. ALOT of 900's in the scrap yard because of "dusted" engines..
Just do you maintenance on it regularly.. CHECK & TIGHTEN the air system REGULARLY.. Change the engine oil before its due & keep the fuel filters changed ATLEAST 2x a year & she would be a good choice for anyone..
ALOT of maintenance comes w/ owning a diesel..

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #5  
We bought used 4 years ago and paid more... there just was not a lot available... even the Dealer would sell the new ones as they came in.

So far... the only issue was solved by getting better tires... too many flats with the one that were on it.

Dust isn't a factor here and it gets used a lot... not every day but almost... so far no issues except one repair to a weld on the muffler... just patched it when we brought it home.

Only thing I have been meaning to do is to add the throttle cable kit.... have some real steep trails and more pedal isn't the way to navigate because it is more hydro...

Definitely better seats on other brands and newer Kubota models comfort wise. Not all that quiet but so far couldn't be more pleased at how reliable it is...

Second having a windshield...

One of the biggest problems is> they sip fuel.. that may not seem like a problem but>> the fuel sits in the tank & goes bad.. big problem.
. . . ALOT of maintenance comes w/ owning a diesel..
Thanks, that's the kind of information that I need. Question: does the fuel tank have a drain plug? Looks like that would be easy enough to just drain the fuel if it has been in the tank for a while.
I have a 300 gallon bulk tank for my off-road diesel, and it gets filled 2 or 3 times per year. I have a fuel filter/water separator on the pump, so I'm putting clean fuel in.
I always use fuel stabilizer in all the gas that I buy now, and I only buy non-ethanol. (ATV's, mowers, outboard, etc.) I haven't had a fuel system problem.

Yeah, I've been around diesels my whole life. I currently own 4 diesel tractors, 2 diesel pickups, and a Peterbilt. I know the drill: Clean air, clean fuel, and clean oil.

We bought used 4 years ago and paid more...
So far... the only issue was solved by getting better tires... too many flats with the one that were on it. . .

Definitely better seats on other brands and newer Kubota models comfort wise. Not all that quiet but so far couldn't be more pleased at how reliable it is...

Second having a windshield...
Appreciate your honesty. I don't think that engine noise would be a huge factor for me either. A more comfortable seat would be nice, but my property is 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile. That's about as far as it will go. Not like I'll be riding the thing across the country.
Thanks

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #8  
Not as big of a problem as a gas motor but is more expensive to fix..
You should become familiar w/ removing the injection pump.. the control rack will stick because of bad fuel..
& taking it in for repair is very expensive.. They charge THAT MUCH because they can, is the only reason..
Another thing is the air cleaning system.. filters & such.. ALOT of 900's in the scrap yard because of "dusted" engines..
Just do you maintenance on it regularly.. CHECK & TIGHTEN the air system REGULARLY.. Change the engine oil before its due & keep the fuel filters changed ATLEAST 2x a year & she would be a good choice for anyone..
ALOT of maintenance comes w/ owning a diesel..
First off, diesel fuel wont go bad setting in the tank (vehicle or storage tank), I keep over 200 gallons of fuel in storage and it has never had any issues. I finally changed my fuel filters at 550 hours and about 5 years on my RTV 900 and even then the filter was not stopped up.

Never had any issues with injector pump either. Matter of fact, never had any issues at all with my Kubota RTV 900. It is a 2009 with about 650 hours (last time I checked) and only thing I have done is motor oil change every year or so or 200 hours, changed the hydraulic and HST oil at 250 hours (it is due for another change ).

As for air filter, it is the same type that is in my tractor and has outer and inner filter. Never heard of anyone "dusting the engine" if normal maintenance is done and I doubt you will find very many Kubota RTV's in the scrap yard because of the air cleaner. Anything in the scrap yard is likely due from lack of maintenance and/or using it for a mud buggy. They aren't designed for mudding mostly due to the weight and the max speed of about 25 mph.

I find that there is actually less maintenance with a diesel than a gas engine as long as you keep clean fuel and clean air to it, it will more than double the life of a gasoline engine. Gasoline really goes stale fast and is a constant aggravation for consumers of small engines. A diesel vehicle could set for years and with a fresh battery, crank right up. The only issue for a diesel is that it has to have clean fuel (just like a gas engine) but contrary to gasoline, diesel wont ever go bad as long as it is kept water free.

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #9  
I have a 100+ acre farm, mostly raising and selling hay. I want a UTV to use here. (currently using 4-wheelers and pulling a trailer) I have to maintain my hay meadows and grazing land, surrounded by about 4 miles of fence, which includes repair, trimming trees and brush, spraying for weeds, etc. This will be strictly a farm vehicle. I don't go mud riding.

Looking at a 2004 Kubota 900 UTV Diesel 4x4 with 300 hours. They're asking $6k. (a little high, I think) A diesel UTV really appeals to me, since I have a bulk fuel tank. (one less thing I have to haul gas for)

My questions are:
1. Was this a good, solid, dependable side-by-side, or do I need to run away?
2. If it's a good machine, what are the problem areas I need to look closely at?
3. If you don't think this is a good choice, which UTV would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The price doesn't seem too bad considering the cost of new ones. What options does it have? You will want a windshield (preferable glass so it doesn't scratch up like Plexi-glass does-a $800 option when mine was new in 2009) I use my winch a lot for pulling and dragging things. Hydraulic dump bed is really nice and I wouldn't want one without that feature (I don't really know if that is optional or not). A rear screen on the back is nice and almost a requirement when hauling limbs and such to keep them off the driver.
Rear screen and winch can be installed later if it doesn't have them.

Mine has the ATV tires with is minimum necessary for off road use. The street tires give no traction in the mud. FTG-05 says ATV tires aren't tough enough. Well I drive mine in the woods and everywhere on my farm and never had a flat. My rears are getting pretty slick now and soon will need replacement. I am sure the ITP tires are great, but far more than I need for my work. I will likely replace the rears with like kind especially since the fronts are still good. I don't want to get them out of sync too much with a larger tire on the rear and I am too cheap to replace a perfectly good set of fronts.

/ Looking at buying a used Kubota RTV 900 Diesel - NEED ADVICE, PLEASE! #10  
FTG,
I appreciate your thoughts.
Yeah, the gun rack would be a necessity. Need a spot for the Mini-14. I would also want a windshield.
What year is yours? Good looking ride! :thumbsup:

You're welcome!

Mine is a 2006. I got it for ~$9K a couple years ago. Unknown to me, it had been mudded and that trashed the right rear axle bearings. $500 for a new rear axle. Another downside to Kubota RTVs; lack of used spare parts.