Coast Valve issues

/ Coast Valve issues #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
I have a 2007 RTV900W6 and I was reading some older posts about installing a coast valve kit.

Coast Valve Kit for Kubota RTV 900 / RTV 1100 / RTV 1140: SideBySideStuff.com

It sounds like an improvement to me.

My question is; Has anyone installed a coast valve and caused damage to the transmission as a result?

I'm just a little apprehensive when it comes to aftermarket improvements.

Thanks, Bill

Last edited:
   / Coast Valve issues #2  
I have a 2007 RTV900W6 and I was reading some older posts about installing a coast valve kit.

Coast Valve Kit for Kubota RTV 900 / RTV 1100 / RTV 1140: SideBySideStuff.com

It sounds like an improvement to me.

My question is; Has anyone installed a coast valve and caused damage to the transmission as a result?

I'm just a little apprehensive when it comes to aftermarket improvements.

Thanks, Bill

Bill, Don't blame you on the apprehension. However, there have been numerous forum members that have installed coast valves and I've not heard of one having an issue. Most trans failures that I've seen have been due to full-out abuse or lack of maintenance.

I left my RTV as-is since I actually like the engine braking.

/ Coast Valve issues #3  
I'm with timswi on this. When I first got my RTV1100, the engine braking seemed whiplash-inducing, but voer the past couple of years I've learned some throttle finesse and no longer see it as a disadvantage or irritation.

/ Coast Valve issues #4  
I installed a coast valve in my RTV in 2008, about 3 weeks after I bought it.
I have never had any kind of problem since then, transmission or otherwise.

Wouldn’t ever go back to the original set up, too herky jerky for me.

/ Coast Valve issues #5  
I'm with timswi on this. When I first got my RTV1100, the engine braking seemed whiplash-inducing, but voer the past couple of years I've learned some throttle finesse and no longer see it as a disadvantage or irritation.

One other advantage--I'll never have to replace the brakes since I virtually never have to use them.

/ Coast Valve issues
One other advantage--I'll never have to replace the brakes since I virtually never have to use them.

Ain't that the truth!

If there aren't any adverse affects, I think I may give it a try.
If I'm unhappy I can always change it back.

Generally speaking we don't have any operation issues. Just release the throttle slowly....

A few weeks ago my girlfriend reached to get something that fell off the seat. As she bent down the machine took a bump and her foot came off the pedal. Fortunately she was wearing sunglasses which protected her eye somewhat from (I think) the shifter. Needless to say she looked like an escapee for a Tarrington cigarette add.
She has been operating that machine since it was new and had plenty of experience. I doubt she'll ever make that mistake again.

/ Coast Valve issues #7  
There is an old post somewhere that shows how to adjust the factory valve. I did my neighbors several years ago.
Matter of removing valve and adjusting the set screw I believe out?

JW5875

/ Coast Valve issues #8  
There is an old post somewhere that shows how to adjust the factory valve. I did my neighbors several years ago.
Matter of removing valve and adjusting the set screw I believe about 3 turns out?

JW5875

/ Coast Valve issues
I read through some older posts that described the adjustment you are referring to. They also mentioned possible cavitation issues associated with that valve adjustment.
For that reason, I decided not to try that as a solution.

Since I haven't heard any negative comments on the replacement valve, other than the loss of engine breaking, I decided to order one.

/ Coast Valve issues
Well my coast valve arrived today. It only took me 15-20 min to install.

I won't say that I've done extensive testing, but after running it around a bit, I really like it. There is a little lag (not much) if you let off then step on the accelerator.
Getting out of one gear and into another especially reverse was always problematic. Now it shifts easily like it's unloaded.

Time will tell, but I think we have a winner.

Bill