Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
Greetings,

I bought a used 2005 Sportsman 500 4x4 ATV. The tires look well worn, one leaks, and the machine tends to wander. In my experience, it seems to pay to not muck about but instead just spend a few bucks and improve things. So I want to get a set of tires -- I'm assuming online is a better deal [my neighbor can mount them]. The current tires are:

Front: Dunlop T25-8 X 12
Rear: Polaris AT26 X 11 R12

I would welcome advice on where to purchase, brand preference, size variances, and any other factors.

Our riding habits are not highly demanding -- generally under 20 - 25 mph, mostly fields and woods trails, crossing a few streams and some mud, but no extreme mudding etc.

Thank you for your thoughts.

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman #2  
You might try Rocky Mountain ATV it's in Payson Utah. They had some good prices and a lot to choose from. If I remember right, also free shipping.
I ordered some at two o'clock in the afternoon and got them the next day. I live in Southwest Wyo. The phone number is (801) 465-3140.

CWB.

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman #3  
Plenty of options out there - depends on budget but for all around utility/smooth ride - Maxxis Zilla's are highly rated quality 6 ply tire that is going to last, handle mud fairly easily and deliver a nice ride quality. Not going to be the cheapest option - but can find sets on Amazon for around $300 if you look around.

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman
Actually, $300 for a full set sounds about right. Most places I've looked at seem to run $65 a tire for starters -- and that's not for the better 6 ply types. Thanks for the recommendation.

One thing I have noticed is how widely the quality of the web sites vary. Some of them are nearly impossible to navigate and very difficult to see a range of options quickly. Would think by this time sit design would have the bugs worked out but not for every place.

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman #5  
Greetings,

I bought a used 2005 Sportsman 500 4x4 ATV. The tires look well worn, one leaks, and the machine tends to wander. In my experience, it seems to pay to not muck about but instead just spend a few bucks and improve things. So I want to get a set of tires -- I'm assuming online is a better deal [my neighbor can mount them]. The current tires are:

Front: Dunlop T25-8 X 12
Rear: Polaris AT26 X 11 R12

I would welcome advice on where to purchase, brand preference, size variances, and any other factors.

Our riding habits are not highly demanding -- generally under 20 - 25 mph, mostly fields and woods trails, crossing a few streams and some mud, but no extreme mudding etc.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I would recommend Maxxis Bighorns or Maxxis Bighorns 2.0(lighter tire). I'm due for some new shoes as well-will be ordering mine online.

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman
I noticed that Rocky Mountain specifies same size front and rear. My current set up is substantially different front and rear. Wonder if that is why it wanders so badly even at slow speed. What do you think about this factor?

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman #8  
I have never heard of different diameters. The all wheel drive feature on polaris relies on wheel slip. Different sized would not allow that to function as designed. For tires I go to mudthrowers.com. I also like the bighorn radials. I just put a set of Kenda bearclaw HTR on our machine and really like them.

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman #9  
I have a 2004.5 Sportsman 500 H.O. It came with the Carlisle Badlands XTR radials. They were awesome tires, best I have used for snow plowing. But they lacked a little in off road mudding.
So I was going to put ITP Mudlites on it but my dealer talked me out of them. So I ended up buying Interco Reptile Radials. I love them. They work out to give you about a half inch more ride height with my stock rims, they ride smooth on hard pack and pavement and they are awesome off road.

I will be putting them on my new Sportsman 570 EPS too, because Polaris really cheaped out on these models. The stock tires are useless and burn off instantly.

And as for rim leaks, I don't know what it is about these Polaris rims, but I am constantly having the dealer or tire shop reset the bead and even using that glue, and they still go flat after a few days.

/ Recommend Tires for Polaris Sportsman #10  
Smaller front width makes turning easier - less tread making contact means less effort turning.