Buying a used ATV

/ Buying a used ATV #1  

jjbenson

Tractor
Kubota L3400 and Massey 65 Mark II Dieselmatic, Bobcat 863H, Yanmar B50 Excavator, CAT E70B excavator, Massey 245
Hey guys

I really want a side by side, and I'm about set on a Honda 1000-5. I am going to wait a little while longer so i can pay with cash, so i thought I would get used 4x4 atv. Use will be for slow trail riding and general work in the rocky woods of western maryland. I'm planing on leaving it at my camp in western Maryland. I don't plan on it getting stolen, and will take measures to prevent it. Ive been driving a 1991 Yamaha 250 Moto 4 for the last 20 years, and its getting tired, needs tires, a in general has lots of little issues I am tired of messing with. After looking around on facebook marketplace and craigslist, I see prices all over the place for similar sized machines in the 500cc range. I have seen the same Honda Foreman 4x4 atvs with similar miles priced 1500-2500 apart from the other. I guess what i am looking for is
1. Recommendations for brand/model of used ATV's. I am asking this here because I know what the answer will be on a Honda, Yamaha, Polaris site. I know there is variety here at TBN.
2. Ideas on how to price these machines. Is it just me or is it crazy that a 10 year old 4x4 atv has a 5k asking price?
3. What do you consider high/low hours/miles on a used machine
4. Should I look for EFI or carb'd?

Any all all advice will be thoughtfully considered and is appreciated.

/ Buying a used ATV #2  
Prices are all over the place on those sites because many people will ask well above market value knowing they will be haggled down. If you buy used look at the person, family and the area they are from. It may tell you how the machine was treated. Mine has never left my property more than 5 times and its still 100 hours and 1000 miles in 3 years. I don't abuse it, but its not treated well. Short trips, pulling and farm gas ran through it.

/ Buying a used ATV #3  
I would stick with any of the Japanese brands;I have owned Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki and Kawasaki ;all four strokes and four wheel drive.My 1998 Kawasaki Prairie has about 4,000 miles and still use it regular.Had a falling out with the local Honda dealer(great machines) and have purchased three new Yamaha's since 2004.
The Yamaha's have been out-standing;a Grizzley,Rhino and current Viking.Yamaha has a superior transmission and four wheel drive system to the others IMHO.
My BIL put 14,000 miles on a Honda Foreman before retiring it,currently has a 450 Yamaha.
Yamaha just came back out with a 450cc ATV for about $6,000 new;hard to beat that for the money.

/ Buying a used ATV
Are the Yamahas still chain driven like my Moto 4? I guess I also should have asked what folks think about belt vs chain drive.

Last edited:
   / Buying a used ATV
And I really like those Rhinos and Mules, but I see 15 year old machines that guys still are asking about 5-6 grand for. I don稚 like haggling I guess, I ask about 10%more than what I think something is worth when advertising, and negotiate from there. It痴 hard for me to offer someone half of what they are asking for, because I知 assuming they think it痴 worth the price.

/ Buying a used ATV #6  
Are the Yamahas still chain driven like my Moto 4? I guess I also should have asked what folks think about belt vs chain drive.

Yamaha Ultramatic(belt driven transmission to a shaft),big plus with Yamaha it's has great engine braking.Put 4,000 miles on my Rhino with no belt change or any problems other than tires.My machines are used for work so must be dependable;Yamaha's have never failed me.
Most use some sort of belt transmission,Honda uses an automotive style(electric shift or fully automatic) and still sells manual shift.

/ Buying a used ATV #7  
I am no expert but my friends are and they always stick with Hondas and Yamahas so I bought a brand new foot-shift Foreman 500 last year after they told me to avoid the Rancher 420 _ low torque and trans failure they say.

EFI will fire up easier in very cold weather but that may not be an issue in MD.

/ Buying a used ATV #8  
If you're looking for a workhorse, look no further than a Honda. That's pretty much what every farm and ranch around here runs - they last forever and are the ultimate in dependability, especially with the manual transmission.
I've never owned a Honda but ride with plenty of people who do. My ATV is a Yamaha Kodiak 450 that I bought new in 2006. Got almost 7,000 miles on it. The only thing I've had to do to it is change the belt twice now. The belt is the weak spot in any ATV that uses that type of drive, and I must admit, mine was abused in that it was never meant to pull a trailer with nearly a cord of wood on it. These belt drives have a high and low range, and most of the belt problems could be avoided if people just used low range more when pulling heavy or climbing at a slow speed.
IMG_2863r.jpg

As far as prices, they are ridiculous, even on the used ones I see sold at farm auctions. Might as well buy new and have the warranty. And I too am looking closely at the Honda Pioneer 1000...mainly because everyone I know who have another brand has to carry a spare belt!

/ Buying a used ATV #9  
And I too am looking closely at the Honda Pioneer 1000...mainly because everyone I know who have another brand has to carry a spare belt!
I always carry a spare belt.
I put 7300+ miles on my Kawasaki Brute force 750 before I sold it, and have 4000+ miles on my current Polaris RZR 900s, (both CVT) never needed to use the spare belt to get back.
But crazy not to have one with you if you do need it.
Personally I like the CVT transmissions.

Last edited:
   / Buying a used ATV #10  
1. Honda, Artic Cat, Kawasaki, Can Am Polaris in that order of preference for me - cost/resale/parts and reliability being primary points - polaris is everywhere of course, but I'd avoid the first generation big bores...500 sportsman was a good machine, first year 570's were hit/miss
2. 5k for a 10 year old unit is high in general...atv's are slow selling, most buyers going utv route these days - expect negotiation - lots of nice 500 cc units out there in the 2500 range.
3. Look at wear - not hours. Honda's CAN be good for 10k miles - look at the miles/hour ratio - low hours/miles and wear tells me hard trail driven machine possibly - look at the sellers situation/other equipment if possible....if everything else looks like its ready to fall apart you know what your buying and who your buying from
4. EFI - just less chance of problems with ethanol fuel being used by prior owners - not problem free..but less issues in general