800 Polaris Sportsman-When will it end?

/ 800 Polaris Sportsman-When will it end? #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I was checking the Polaris web site and see that they just announced for 2005 an 800cc fuel injected Sportsman.

As an owner of a 2002 Sportsman 700 I have always been a bit disappointed with the power. My 2001 Sportsman 500 H.O. was very close with respect to power, weighed about 80 pounds less and was much easier on gasoline. It also sells for about $800 less.

I haven't had a chance to try their fuel injected 700 but it should be an improvement. My carburated version needs about 5 minutes of warm up time in cold weather before it run properly.

So the move to an 800 probably makes sense. I suppose there will be a few thousand 700 owners anxious for this new machine although the list price I believe is around $8500.

An $8500 ATV, wow! That might chase a few away.

/ 800 Polaris Sportsman-When will it end? #2  
From what I hear, that 800 is "only" a 760! I think that EFI is the wave of the future though.

Many, many years ago, my first CAR was a 850cc SAAB 3 cylinder, 3 carburator, two stoke with oil injection (that siezed up two engines) that put out 60 screaming horse power!

Rinnngg a dinnngg .... RRinggg a dinnnggg dinnnggg .....

Now I can bearly tolerate a two stroke chain saw.

Getting a Ranger soon to just putt-putt around with the wife and grandkids (actually it will be HER Ranger!)

/ 800 Polaris Sportsman-When will it end? #3  
TC,

How many miles do you have on your 700. I had trouble with mine at first going over 40 miles. Something in the carb. Once that was adjusted I see a major difference from my 500 to the 700.

But you are right, Kawasaki and some of the others seem to have more umph than the Polaris

murph