RTV900 Tweaks

/ RTV900 Tweaks #1  

lloyd123

Silver Member
Tractor
RTV-X1100C
It's been mentioned several times on this forum about the seat restraint cable that Kubota is now installing on the RTV900.

I was at my dealer today looking at two new RTV900 arrivals and noticed that there are also some other minor tweaks that Kubota is making at the factory.

There is now a large piece of rubber material that is used to cover access to the power steering reservoir, coolant overflow and the radiator screen. My RTV900 only covers these up with some foam rubber on the bottom of the seat and a little plastic cover that's over one side of the radiator screen access hole. They've eliminated the small plastic cover and now have this large rubber flap that is held in place by three plugs on the left side.

I also noticed that Kubota is now installing a small black extender on the end of the exhaust pipe.

I wonder if any of these changes are safety related.

/ RTV900 Tweaks #2  
Yea I noticed the seat gettin hot after a while of driving.. Ill bet this is why they did the underseat rubber piece..

Frank

/ RTV900 Tweaks #3  
The primary reason for the plastic flap/cover under the seat is to keep stuff from getting into the radiator. The muffler tip is a Nelson add-on spark arrestor.

/ RTV900 Tweaks #4  
ok thanks jippy. Can I get all these 'updates' on my RTV at a reduced or free cost?? Due to the fact they are runing changes??

Frank

/ RTV900 Tweaks #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ok thanks jippy. Can I get all these 'updates' on my RTV at a reduced or free cost?? Due to the fact they are runing changes??

Frank )</font>

I don't know about that...ask your dealer. I kind of doubt you can get these running changes, since they are new production parts but they should be available sooner or later.

/ RTV900 Tweaks
Would the spark arrestor diminish performance - increased back pressure?

I seem to remember someone on this forum with a JD that said they got better performance by taking off their spark arrestor.

/ RTV900 Tweaks #7  
I took the spark arrestor off my JD HPX diesel on the recommendation of another member. It seems to have made a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The fine mesh wire in the spark arrestor would fill up quickly with soot. If you remove it, keep it handy so you can re-install it if you ride in a national forest that requires spark arrestors.

/ RTV900 Tweaks #8  
Ya know, I really haven't seen just a lot of fire coming out of the exhaust pipe of my RTV... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ RTV900 Tweaks #9  
If you ever drive a diesel tractor at night under load you might be surprised at how many sparks are coming out the exhaust stack. Probably won't be a problem with a diesel utility vehicle since it won't be under a heavy load. The problem with a diesel is the amount of soot that forms in the exhaust system. Then if you put the engine under a heavy load the exhaust will get real hot and flakes of red hot soot will blow out. With an exhaust pipe close to the ground it could be a fire hazard.

/ RTV900 Tweaks #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Would the spark arrestor diminish performance - increased back pressure?

I seem to remember someone on this forum with a JD that said they got better performance by taking off their spark arrestor. )</font>

It does not diminish performance...back pressure change was nominal. I don't think you need it unless you plan to run around on USFS land of any kind...the muffler by itself does enough spark arresting but not quite up to USFS standards without the add-on.