Rust already on a new RTV?!!

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #1  

rtvman

Silver Member
Tractor
97' L35, 04' RTV900
Hello everyone. I have had my RTV for only 3-weeks now and I noticed this past weekend that there is rust starting to form on the brush guard at the weld points:(. Has anyone else seen this condition on their's? It just seems too early to start seeing rust forming. The silver paint that is used seems like it wasn't baked on. Any suggestions on what to repaint it with? Thanks

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #2  
Mine has that same rust. I've also noticed some where it mounts to the frame. Haven't done anything about it yet.

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #3  
I had some rust on mine also when it was delivered. The dealer gave me a can of touch up paint that I have sprayed on. It looks fine now. You may want to order some from your dealer

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #4  
That's my plan (get paint from dealer), or... I wonder how the grill guard would look in black?

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!!
You know, now that you mention using touch up paint I took a closer look at mine and it appears that touch up paint was already used and the rust is now showing through it. I know this is a minor thing but it doesn't seem right that it should be delivered from the factory that way /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Anyway, in response to bczoom, I was thinking the same thing that repainting it black would look great! I will have to add that to my winter project list. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #6  
I've also been pondering whether to insert some steel grating into the brush guard in the headlight area.

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #7  
I painted mine just after I got it. I hated the cheezy silver look and the paint job on the guard was awful. I complained about it before buying, suggesting that it would look better grey like the camo RTV's grill guard. After the deal was made my dealer gave me a can of Kubota Dark Grey. I took the guard off and painted it after I got it home. I'll say it looks a thousand percent better now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #8  
I thought I was just picky. My selling dealer had "touched up" the front brush guard and my personal opinion was that it looked like crap. I'll likely just take the entire brush guard off and have it powder coated. Since I've been restoring cars, I found a local place that I've used to powder coat a lot of various parts for me. If you can find a place to do the powder coating for you, it will be anywhere from 8 to 15 times as durable as the strongest paint. For similar sized items as the brush guard, my local powder coating place charged me about $50 to media blast and powder coat the item. For that price, it isn't worth two hours of sanding and another hour of applying numerous coats of paint!

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #9  
Rick,
I may try that approach (get the dealer to give me some dark grey paint).
Not near the machine right now. For the winch, except the fairlead mount, do I assume correctly that the brush guard is completely independent for easy removal?

/ Rust already on a new RTV?!! #10  
Stopped by the dealer today.
Kubota has 2 greys. One is listed as "ROPS Grey" which is what I thought I wanted but couldn't tell from their paint chips. The lady in the parts dept. and I went out to an RTV and matched it up. Once I told her it was to repaint my grill guard due to rust, she just gave it to me. No problem.