Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one?

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #1  

RIPOIL

New guy here...
I'm going to buy either a Mule 3010 Diesel or a Kubota RTV900 this month. I'll be using it on very rough and rocky terrain in the Texas Hill Country to haul a small trailer with welder and generator, to haul wood, to use hunting, and for my wife to use to get around the property. I'm looking for something that has good pulling power, good off-road capability, and is very tough and reliable. I have both a Kubota dealer and a Kawasaki dealer close by so either one would be convenient.

Which one is better for my uses? Thanks in advance for ya'll's help.

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #2  
I'm just an ATV wannabe, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much, but I figure couldn't go wrong with either one. Lots of people love their Mules, and they say the RTV has raised the bar to a whole new level. It probably gets down to which one you like the best, since either one is an outstanding product. Have fun making a decision!

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #3  
I owned a gas Mule and it was a great machine. I can't say enough good about the Mule.

Now, what I will tell you is I just purchase a Kubota RTV900 and what a machine that is, It's got power to spare when it comes to pulling trailers and hauling loads. I think the Kubota diesel's record stands alone, I have one tractor that is still running great after 23 years on hard work and another Kubota that been the same for 8 years.

Go RTV900

It's a MACHINE and not at toy, not as sporty as the Mule or Ranger.

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #4  
ripoil,

Welcome to TBN!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you already haven't done so, use the search at the bottom of the "ATV & Utility Vehicles" forum and do a search for Mule. There have been several comparisons which may help. Also check out the threads that will be listed but don't explicitly have "Mule" in the subject. They'll provide a lot of insight on the RTV in particular.

Anyway, I'm a RTV owner. A couple things that help me decide to go with the RTV were the power steering and diesel with HST transmission.

Based on the description you've provided for your needs, the RTV should handle all that with ease.

Besides going to the dealers and kicking the tires and stuff, I would highly recommend getting both dealers to bring a demo out to your place. Once you ride them on your terms, the answer as to which will most likely become self-apparent. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Had I not done the same (bring out the demos), I most likely would have gotten the wrong one. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A parking lot ride is just not the same.

Brian

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #5  
When I bought a 3010 gas Mule last December, the RTV-900 was not available from Kubota. If it had been, I would probably had a much harder time deciding what to buy. I think either of these machines will hold up to the jobs you described, but there are distinct differences. You can't look at a comparison in print and really understand the differences in the machines. You can find lots of info by an internet search, but you need to go look/drive/test both and maybe even a couple of others.

Frankly, I think Kubota has raised the bar on Kawasaki. The Mule just can't compete on a comparison, but if the Mule will fit your needs, you can probably negotiate the price down more than on the Kubota. Since Kawasaki and Suzuki have merged, Suzuki also carries their version of the Mule, except you can get it in blue.

The RTV doesn't have all the "bugs" worked out, but they are few and Kubota seems to be standing behind these machines very well. The larger tires, hydrostatic transmission, power steering, and disc brakes are features you will not find on the Mule.

The proven design, tons of aftermarket accessories, high snorkel air intake, more in-cab storage, and lower cost favor the Mule.

Have fun selecting your choice. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can't look at a comparison in print and really understand the differences in the machines.

Since Kawasaki and Suzuki have merged, Suzuki also carries their version of the Mule, except you can get it in blue.
)</font>

If I may, I'd like to note something on comparisons in print.
Unfortunately, when a manufacturer puts their machine in comparisons against others, they may not be 100% truthful in the other company’s product. Either they'll use old information (e.g. competitors previous year model) or won't include the competitors most comparable model. It can be used as a "guideline" but I'd recommend confirming the content.

Jim - looking for one (the Suzuki) because it's the closest color to your NH? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #7  
i had a mule,which i really did like,but the RTV will do a lot more work,I really do like the RTV

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #8  
I own neither machine, but have experience with both. My brother has the gas Mule, and a cousin bought one of the first RTVs. While the Mule is a fine machine, the Kubota is in another category. If you are convinced that you want a diesel, there is not that much price difference between Kubota and Kawasaki. If a gas Kawasaki would be a possible choice, there might be a $2000 difference in favor of the Kawasaki.
Will

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I own neither machine, but have experience with both. My brother has the gas Mule, and a cousin bought one of the first RTVs. While the Mule is a fine machine, the Kubota is in another category. If you are convinced that you want a diesel, there is not that much price difference between Kubota and Kawasaki. If a gas Kawasaki would be a possible choice, there might be a $2000 difference in favor of the Kawasaki.
Will )</font>

Good post. If you are looking for a diesel UV the Kubota RTV900 is better for approx. the same price as the Mule 3010. I have a lot of experience on both and the RTV900 is a better all around machine. The Mule has a CVT (ATV) style transmission that does not hold up as well compared to the RTV900 HST transmission under heavy loads and towing. However, Kawasaki did beef up their T/M's in this years models but still no match for the RTV HST T/M. Also, the power steering is so nice on the RTV compared to the Mule. So, you can't go wrong with the RTV900 and those minor "bugs" have been worked out, so any new RTV900 on the dealer lot would be excellent to have on the farm/ranch IMHO! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mule 3010 diesel or RTV...Which one? #10  
I owned a Mule before I got my RTV and loaded it heavy one day with rocks. I was coming up a steep hill and actually split the transmission housing wide open. That was a $ 2000.00 lesson about loading the Mule heavy.

I don't see that happening with the RTV. It's just a different machine.