Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand?

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "One arm free for a 3 year old boy"? Sorry man, no offense intended, but that is a scary thought.

Driving an ATV on anything but level ground, in 2WD, and very, very, slow speed, will usually require both hands from an operator. Even hitting a bump under these conditions can cause the handlebars to jerk from your hand and loss of throttle and brake control. )</font>

+1 (and a safety tangent to the discussion)

Dangerous. Unless you are going at a crawling speed on flat ground for a short "pony ride," I'd NEVER put a 3 year old on an ATV. I know lots of people do, but I won't. Don't care if he's strapped to me or not. (What happens if I bail and land ON him? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Having a couple of hundred lbs or so land on a 3 year old seems like you are just asking for trouble.)

Some may take offence to this position but my purpose is not to offend but to suggest that folks "rethink" the wisdom of putting their toddler on an ATV. They aren't designed for it and neither are the kids.

All that being said, while I too find an ATV more useful than a utility vehicle due to maneuverability, in THIS situation it seems like the utility vehicle is a safer alternative. Ideal? Hardly. But better.

Is that "excessive?" Maybe. But I've seen too many stories on the news of kiddos killed after being thrown from ATV's. Bet those parents who inadvertantly killed their kids thought they'd never have an accident and would trade everything in the world to get their child back.

Best advise: Get the ATV you like best and leave Jr. off of it.

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #12  
I went with a UV for just the reasons you mentioned over an ATV. Several years ago, I was teaching my oldest son (he was 7 at the time) how to ride the ATV. He had watched too many cartoons, and about the time I was beginning to relax as I was sitting behind him, he cranked the wheels all the way to the left (trying to do a donut). It flipped immediately, and in keeping the ATV off of him I fractured my right femur.

I sold it before I was off of crutches. The only things we have had since have been Honda Pilots (full roll cage and 4 pt harness), Honda Odysseys (full roll cage and 4 pt harness), and now a Rhino (Roll cage and 3 pt harness) and an RTV (roll cage and seat belts). I have 5 kids and am extremely protective. I'll never buy an ATV for them.

I'll even mention his name in case he reads this site, but one of my oldest daughter's best friends father, Rodney Lincoln - a super guy who is amazing with what he can still do and his devotion to his kids, is crippled from the chest down from an ATV accident. He is a great guy and cares dearly for his kids. It is a constant reminder for me every time he is here to pick up his daughter or I'm at their house to pick up their daughter, when I see him in his wheel chair. It was a freak accident and he actually feels thankful that he did not have any of his kids on the ATV with him when it flipped. Obviously he will never own another ATV. However, he has no problem with his daughter riding in our RTV or Rhino as long as she is belted in.

Sorry to go on on this subject, but the danger of ATV's hits really close to home with me. I just can't ever see having one or ever allowing my kids on one after what has happened to me and close friends. Good luck and be careful!

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #13  
<font color="blue">( I just can't ever see having one or ever allowing my kids on one after what has happened to me and close friends. )

<font color="black"> When I was 12 years old I wanted a dirt bike. My parents thought they were too dangerous so they bought my brother and I a 3 wheeler. We both rode double on that little Honda until we traded up to a bigger size that would carry both of us more comfortably. My parents had the notion that 3 wheels were safer than 2. Looking back I can honestly say they were about the same. The thing about a 3 or 4 wheeler over a 2 wheeler is the false sense of security. There are freak accidents with everything. I personally knew a Special Forces SGT that had a swimming pool installed in his back yard. Within a week of filling the pool up, he dove in, his neck snapped and he was dead before the ambulance arrived. He was healthy, physically in good shape, and jumped from perfectly good airplanes. It was a freak accident that no one could have expected. I am sorry to hear about your friend, but we can't go around being scared of everything. </font>

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #14  
Oh boy...

I'd guess everyone that has (or know somebody that has) an ATV probably has accident stories. But, everyone that has a bicycle, horse, motorcycle or anything else that you can ride on most likely has stories as well.

It's going to come down to each individual to decide what they want to do. For me, I let my kids ride (not drive) with me if not on their own ATV but safety is always properly addressed.

BTW - The side-by-sides are safe machines due to the seatbelts and ROPS but you can still get hurt. Normally, legs and arms are getting broken as they exit the vehicle when it's rolling.

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #15  
Thats, amazing my dad thought the same way, he was hurt once on a motorcycle before us kids came along and bought a '71 honda 70 and '73 honda 90 that my brothers beat to crap but never got hurt.

By the time I was old enough he turned anti-jap and bought me a Carl Heald kit "supertryke" Knowing it was the only 3wheeler I was going to have, i liked it.

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> but we can't go around being scared of everything. </font> )</font>

I think you misunderstood my comments. I'm not preaching, but if you don't follow your common sense and don't follow the little stickers on most all ATV's saying "no riders under the age of 16", there is a greater chance for disaster. I've taken the falls, spills, and had all too many broken bones. I'll do whatever I can to prevent my children from having to learn the way I did. I raced motocross in the 125 and 250 class for 5 years and trophied in nearly every race unless I crashed. I know pain, and I know what causes it. I also know that some injuries that healed 25 years ago mysteriously start hurting again.

Contrary to what I've generally thought, those warning stickers are put on ATV's for a reason. I'll admit that I'm over protective of my 5 kids. I'd honestly charge and attack a grizzley bear with by bear hands to protect any one of my kids. All I'm saying is that for me, if they can play with fun off road motorized vehicles that are safer than others, then I'll have them in the safer one 100% of the time. I'm a doting father. My 13 year old daughter has already told me that I've scared off nearly every boy who has called her or tried to come over to visit. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Hey, but that's me. I know what I was like when I was 13! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My 13 year old daughter has already told me that I've scared off nearly every boy who has called her or tried to come over to visit. Hey, but that's me. I know what I was like when I was 13! )</font>

I have 2 daughters myself, 7 and 4 years old. I told my wife that when they start dating at around age 30 that the boy will have to come into the house to see me as I clean my Ruger Blackhawk .45.

Oh and I also had a Honda Odyssey. Excellent fun!

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand?
Your always right to be concerned about children, no question. I do much of what I do based on a risk assesment. I do carry my 3 year old on my lap with my tractor as well. It's all done when my concentration can't be distracted from him. There are times I simply cannot use the tractor knowing if he's in my lap, I won't be able to do both jobs at once. When using an ATV it is much the same. I have to say the one time when you are really taking the risk assessment element out of your hands and others is driving the car. The problem with it is, your working in concert with others and hope all others at least have the same idea of responsiblity as you. Driving an ATV or for that matter, a RTV like the Kawasaki Mule we use always involves a certain amount of concern for everyone, especially the children. I find driving the Mule a problem because of the time it takes to buckle in my 3 year old and even at that, I still don't feel confident he's part of the Mule. He always manages to squirm around to the point where I need to stop and readjust him. Why do kids squirm so much?

Anyway, this post was not so much about the safety issues of ATV's and RTV's nor a question of whether an ATV was really what I wanted or needed. Having used both fairly extensively, I know where my desires or needs are. I'm really interested in folks views or opinions on the ATV they own, ride or rode. Thanks, Rat...

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #19  
RaT;I'll give you my thoughts on your original question about ATV's. It sounds like you plan to use yours like I use mine: some light recreational riding, general transportation while working outside, and some light work (you mentioned spraying, etc.) I shopped around a year ago and ended up buying a Honda Foreman 450S. It is the manual shift model, and shifts in and out of 4wd. Honda has redesigned the model for 2005, giving a larger engine, disc brakes, and a few other upgraded features.
After a year and 200 miles, no problems and I like the ATV. It is standard shift (I just feel that gives me one less thing to malfunction), and I have used it deer hunting, and I pulled my 900 lb. lawn roller last spring with no problem. My girlfriend use it with a trailer when she gardens, and she handles the machine fine. I recommend it highly. You will find other brands with more features, but I am sold on Honda simplicity and dependabilty.
Will

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand?
Thanks Will, thats what I'm after. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif