HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help!

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills

Got a buying decision to make, soon.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My bobcat dealer is running behind on closing our main deal so I have some time to hear from this helpful group if you'll comment.

I've got an older Gator 6x4, so this is not totally new, but things sure have improved since that thing was built in 96.

Kubota sent me a good financing offer so that part of the playing field is level (Bobcat dealer will 4% finance either hpx or 2200 with the other stuff we're buying).

My wife finds the cab-equipped RTV noisy, and we both think it feels more like a tractor than a 4 wheel transport vehicle. In fact it really does remind me of my BX-2200, even down to the mushy HST pedal. But the real transmission feel does come thru if you give it a chance, even with the abrupt stopping characteristic (supposedly changed now?), and the coasting control it gives is good.

Power steering, on the RTV? Come on, now, is it really necessary, and is it just another thing to fail--like the similar cylinder on my BX did recently. If you are regularly carrying loads heavy enough to need it, wouldn't you be better off with a ToolCat or, mirabile dictu, a TRUCK /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif?

But it looks good and seems very solid and functional. The dealer could not be better--several of his mechanics love our restaurant and treat me well when I go in for service on the BX, as does the whole family-owned place.

My Bobcat/Deere dealer is great, too, though farther away. I've found them good to work with for the last year, though nothing major has come up. And I am into them for a Bobcat 430 and A300 (sorry Mark Chalkley, I love it!) along w/ many attachments, so it is a relationship that will continue.

The Bobcat 2200 is really a Club Car XRT-1500 as the guy whose father works for the rental company pointed out, but is fairly new to the market. It's technicals are good--automatic 4wd, with autom locking differentials (both) as well, Kubota diesel or Honda gas, 20 HP, up to 1100# rear cargo capacity (with upgraded spring/shock/sway package) and 1500# payload so equipped. Downside? Looks somewhat like a golf cart, ie, the Club Car heritage--it ain't no Gator, which is arguably the best looking of this group or of all utilities. And it costs roughly the same base-wise as the HPX, though the accessories are cheaper, without the proven resale of the Gator. I was impressed with the casual offer my Bobcat saleman made to take in my 6x4 on trade.

One concern is the 2 exposed lines to the rear brakes, that seem way too vulnerable to short stumps, etc. There is a "caliper rock guard" option, but my salesman cannot say for sure what it does.

But it seems like a good machine, with a great ride feel (better than the Gator or RTV), a foot operated parking brake, and the tech specs, esp relating to the drive train, are compelling.

The HPX just looks good and seems the most solid, along with the RTV. Improvements abound (like a real suspension) over my 6x4. Neither it nor the RTV rides as well as the 2200 Bobcat, but truthfully it does not seem bad. The double cyl bed hoist seems really solid, but it costs twice what the Bobcat lift costs (953 vs 495). And the factory cab option, though frightfully expensive, is stunning--saw it live.

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Who decided all these things get such tiny tires? Bigger would definitely be bettah, IMHO.

My first car, used though it was, cost me $1750. Now that was 1971, but ****, these little things are EXPensive/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I would love some comments on my analysis/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, if you folks would be kind enough to hit me up! Sorry for the length /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks as always!

Jim
Moving some fine day to "Mt Burgha" in Fluvanna on the Rivanna
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #2  
I'd vote for the HPX Diesel 4x4. I've had mine since August and it's been flawless. I had a Diesel 6x4 Gator and the HPX is a definate improvement.

Attachments

• 558000-HPX Gator.JPG
    558000-HPX Gator.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 3,481
   / HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #3  
Orange, Green or White, you really can't go wrong with any of those choices in my opinion. As far as your comment about the power steering offered with the RTV, I personally find that a huge benefit! If your application requires a lot of maneuvering I would definitely go with the power steering. For me, I would rank the power steering as much as a benefit as the hydraulic lift. Sooooo many choices you have facing you. Good luck to you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #4  
Jim,

Looks like you've done all your homework.

Like Kevin said, you really can't go wrong with any of these selections.

It seems to me there's only 1 thing left to decide for you. Have a demo version of each brought out to your place. Ideally, all at the same time (regardless of the # of dealers). Let them know you're opening the checkbook for the winner of the day's activities (to make sure they all come). Give each a ride in your terrain, giving them a taste of your conditions/needs. Buy the one that suits you best.

Brian

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #5  
Well, you have done a lot of the work already. Narrowing the choices is *not* easy.

Which one does your wife prefer? And who will be using it the most?

Those questions were factors in our buying experience.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #6  
the power steering is one of the best features on th RTV.. Ever get the wheel ripped out your hand hitting a stump?? You will appriciate power steering the first time this happens..

Frank

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help!

One thing I am hearing is that discounts on the RTV are pretty small if at all. My K dealer will tell me his cost when he works up a deal (did on the BX), so if he asks for a pile more profit, it willl show.

Not sure Anne will let me off the hook on that bench seat /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gator discounts (with our config) run just over 16%. Bobcat dealer had to match another Deere deal, but on Bobcat itself so far he is talking much less money off, around 10%.

One thing I have found bears watching is Frt, setup and labor on accessory install. The 1st Deere dealer quote on an HPX Gator listing at about 19K, was 15,750 plus a mere $250 for all three, 16K total. Bobcat dealer has still not given me his add ons, but he did say that the price he was giving me (matching the first one) was a "10% deal", ie, they were making 10% markup. I know he makes more than that on Bobcat construction iron like the excv and SSL I have.

He was more stingy on his Bobcat 2200s, but in fairness I have not yet asked him to price a machine more comparable to the SUV-like Gator I spec'd. May have gone a little crazy... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

No one on here has made much more than a peep about the 'Cat 2200. NO one on here has one or the Club Car equivalent? Has anyone looked at one? I know this forum bleeds Orange--hey, I bought my BX just so Bird would stop shooting at efigies of my <font color="blue">NH</font> stuff on his fence /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I'd love to hear what kinds of deals you folks have gotten. It seems mostly that RTVs are going close to list, and in fact they are probably list priced a bit more competitively anyhow (same as Japanese cars, I'm told). Their financing is good, though.

Does 16% off on the (high spec) HPX diesel 4x4 sound good? Deere is not offering much of anything on financing (in my case the 4% Bobcat deal will help me if I go with him).

Hey, thanks again for everyone's taking time to drop in their $2 worth (inflation /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif),

Jim

Factoids of the day--
The lady who invented Jeopardy lives 1 mile from our new place /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The guy who sold it to her and Merv many years ago was in the restaurant on NYE listening to <font color="blue">Bluegrass</font> with us /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
</font>

Attachments

• 558861-Rivanna at Mt B jpg tbn 9.jpg
    558861-Rivanna at Mt B jpg tbn 9.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 552
   / HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help!

Hi, Jesse:

Good looking SUV, errr, <font color="green">Gator</font> /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Which ROPS is that--Deere or third party?

Thx

Jim

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #9  
The ROPS is by Deere and is dealer installed.

/ HPX vs Bobcat 2200 vs RTV--Help! #10  
That Gator price seems high to me. We just bought our HPX 4x4 (gas) equipped with the deluxe canopy, bedliner, hydraulic bed lift, brake/tail lights, brush guard, high capacity alternator, floor mats, visor, mirrows and clutch drive enclosure. Total cost was $10,420 dollars. Since I wasn't interested in diesel we did not get a price on that but if that is how much more it costs I am sure glad I bought the gas model! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif