Bush Hog ATV

/ Bush Hog ATV #1  

SKOALMAN

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TN65
Hi All,
When tractor shopping I noticed that one of the New Holland Dealers had a "Bush Hog" ATV sitting on the Show Room Floor. I ended up buying a Bush Hog Front End Loader and really like it, made tough etc.... I sat down on the Adult Version that I think was the 175cc Model. I am NOT an ATV expert by no means and wondered if anyone knew anything about them and if they were well made. I did a Search and found NOTHING on Bush Hog ATV's. So would really appreciate any and all comments as I know nothing about them. Was looking for something low powered to help in Fencing, Checking on Cows, Go to the Mail Box and low powered fun in snows. The secondary mission is for my Daughters to Ride and learn and maybe in a couple of years something more powerful.

They have the Spec's for them on the www.bushhog.com web site. But have not heard or seen anyone else buying or riding one of them. They may be good and just new to the market! I do wonder if a Tractor Dealership is qualified to work on one if it tears up. But just gathering ideas at the time.

Appreciate any and all comments! Thanks!

/ Bush Hog ATV #2  
Scoalman,

I'm not familiar with the Bush Hog.
For the purchase of any UTV, the best advice I could offer, regardless of manufacturer is to have a demo brought to your place so you could try/use it in your environment.

/ Bush Hog ATV
Thanks bczoom!

Not sure if the dealership would let a small ATV out the door. When I did the "Search", I found Bush Hog UTV but what I saw was a small 4 wheeler just like the Polaris/Honda/yamaha etc.... I rode a 125 Kawasaki Trail Bike when I was a High Schooler and that Bike had enough Power to get me killed then and probably now. So, thought that the 175cc would be big enough for the chores I would like for it to do. Just never heard or seen anyone riding a Bush Hog Brand of ATV.

No comments then maybe I need to keep looking! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Bush Hog ATV #4  
They are brand new. The first 200 were to be hand assembled in Selma Alabama, then a production line set up someplace else.

/ Bush Hog ATV #5  
A 175cc ATV would probably fill a niche in the ATV market. My first ATV was a Honda ATC70, then we moved up to an ATC110. We considered it "full size". At that time if you had a Honda Big Red, you had the biggest one made. It seems like today with the major brands that you jump from 90cc to 250cc with nothing in between. I see people buying their 8 or 9 year olds 250cc machines and it just seems crazy. Then you have people letting their 12 year olds on Foreman 450's or Sportsman 500's.

/ Bush Hog ATV #6  
I just went back and looked at the specs for the 175 and it has a 2 stroke engine. That is the one thing I would be leery about. I had a 1995 Polaris 400 with a 2 stroke engine. Although it ran great, it ran better wide open than slow putt around farm type work. That is just the nature of the 2 stroke with one of the auto type transmissions.

/ Bush Hog ATV
You Know After reading you rcomments I remember that I had to run my Trail Bike pretty much Mid to Wide to keep from Fouling the Plugs. I also remember carrying a spare plug in my tool kit, so that I would not get stranded out in the boonies. The two stroke was bad to foul if puttering along. Thanks for reminding me, as I had forgot that. For what I am wanting I need the putter for the Farm Tasks. I do have some steep portions on the place that I WOULD NOT feel comfortable on a UTV, but an ATV might be a little different.

Thanks for the reminder! I just bought my tractor so will NOT buy an ATV today, but starting to look. I did notice that there is NOTHING in between the Polaris 90cc and the 250cc. I thought that it was just a Polaris thing. The 175cc I was basing off my Motorcycle memories and thought that might be the right balance. I remember the old 185 Suzuki Trail Bike (Never Owned One, but had a Friend) and it seemed like the perfect balance between power and finesse. Of course that was 25 years ago too. Will keep looking, and open to any suggestions.

/ Bush Hog ATV #8  
I think we had this coversation b4, but that is exactly what my dad bought for my brothers except the second was an atc90, I've been meaning to scan our old photos and I think we have one with both. When it came time for me to have one of those "three wheels have to be safer than two" machines my dad was on an anti-jap kick and bought "Kit by Heald"
american made with a lawn mower engine.

Incidentally, a local consignment bike shop recently had a 1985 Big Red out in front, boy did look small.

/ Bush Hog ATV #9  
Take a look at the Honda Rancher. 229cc 2 wheel drive machine. MSRP is $3699. It's hard to beat a Honda for reliability.

/ Bush Hog ATV #10  
Greetings. The August 2004 issue of ATV Illustrated has a five page article on the Bush Hog ATV. The specs show it to have a 20 hp 614cc Honda engine. Good Luck in your search.
Mark Lewis Ford 1720, Kubota L35 TLB, Kubota RTV 900