Hard start and no start on RTV900

/ Hard start and no start on RTV900 #1  

DarinRay

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 JD 4310 300CX 72MM, dozers, excavtors, bachoes, loader, tractors.
Hey all,

Well took delivery of my RTV900 this last week and have about 3 hrs on the clock. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Have some issues though and hope that someone can help. This week has been cold with lows around -15. Went out later in the morning to start the girl and was unable to get it to fire. Ended up having to put my salamander heater on it for about 15 mins and then it was hesitant. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have a Ford F550 and on cold mornings I'll cycle the glow system a couple times before attempting and tried this method with this RTV. I have called my dealer to get a block heater but machines aren't always near electric. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am not sure if I'm expecting too much from this Kubota or not. Has anyone else experienced this trouble? Is this normal or should I have dealer look at this? Thanks everyone.

Darin

/ Hard start and no start on RTV900 #2  
I encountered the very same problem with my RTV once the outside temperature was -5 to -12. At first I suspected possible diesel fuel clouding (gelling/waxing) or water in the diesel fuel.

However, my M6800 and BX23 were working fine. The only difference is that both of the previously mentioned machines have engine block heaters.

Sure enough, once the block heater was installed on the RTV I've had absolutely _no_ hesitation or stalling.

This is yet another reason why I'm installing a tow bar on the front of the RTV in the event I'm not near an electricity and need to move it easily.

Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Hard start and no start on RTV900
Thanks for the response. I guess it's good that I haven't got a bunch of replies as this may just be an isolated case. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif What I did after the no start was added another 4 oz. of powerservice to the existing tank. Already had a 1/2 tank of treated from my fuel cell in my truck but added more. Then after reading on this awesome site someone had their own way of starting their Kubota tractor so I tried it. What they said was to cycle plugs and attempt to start briefly. Re-cycle glow plugs and then it started in 1 sec. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The idea here is that on the first attempt you basically prime the fuel to the injectors and on the second longer glow plug cycle you go to start and she fires right off. Tomorrow I am going to try not to even glow the system on the first attempt to see if the theory is correct about the fuel. Or it may have just been a gelling issue. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Darin

/ Hard start and no start on RTV900 #4  
A 400w block heater will take care of it with ease and cycle your engine start (10 sec. glow plugs & 10 sec. ignition) up to 5 times or so.

/ Hard start and no start on RTV900 #5  
I started mine this am at -16 celcius. Hold the glow plugs and count 20 sec and it starts right up. One other thing is you might want to try synthetic oil for cold starts.It works great in My Dodge Ram 2500 with the cummins diesel

/ Hard start and no start on RTV900
What I shoud have done was read the darn manual before thinking it would start like my other diesels. These girls just like to be heated a little more than I'm use to. I don't even play around anymore.. Heat the unit for a 20 count and then turn the key. Brrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooommmmmmm almost instantly. Sweet just like it's suppose to be. Thanks for all the advise and opinions.

Darin

Attachments

• 576199-DSC02237.JPG
    576199-DSC02237.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 304