Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills

Can some of you 6x4 owners out there help me with 2 aggravating problems with my old reptile? I did a search and found nothing prior.

Some facts: 1996 model (bought used 2003), Kawasaki 18 hp engine, c.1850 hrs, bed lift, new belt and some elec repairs last year (mainly the igition module, I believe)

1- I seem to have a wiring problem that improved after the prior work but now reoccurs often. The eng starts and runs pretty well, then cuts out abruptly when I am underway, sometimes for second or two, restarts on its own, etc, then sometimes it dies completely. The problem seems to happen when I am on rough ground with lots of jostling/bumps.

I think I have tracked things down to a wiring harness that droops in the rear of the engine compartment (not good design on any of the wiring--lots of loose stuff kind of flapping around). When I pop the bed and poke the harness with a stick, particularly in the area of a male/female plastic connector, I can stall the engine just as it does when underway. I can also make it start when it will not otherwise, same medicine.

Has anyone had similar trouble? Did you replace the whole wiring harness (eeeeek!), only the part that gave trouble, or were you able to figure out what to repair/secure to stop it?

2- This one bugs me. I cannot get the oil plug loose to drain the oil. It requires contortion to start with, but even with a wrench on it, I'm having trouble. Can anyone guide me? I need to change the oil since all the stalls and so forth have led to gassy smelling oil. It was just changed not that many hours ago.

Many thanks if you can lend some advice/experiences.

Jim

ps- still stewing about choice of new one, but feeling poor for now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #2  
Jim, do you think your problem is internal to the wiring harness or where it is connected? I've found many overcrimped terminal lugs on machines over the years. They normally are broken and just making contact until the harness is flexed. If it were a high current spot, you'd just look for a spot of heat deformation, but in low current ignition areas, you may have to remove the harness to find a break. You say you are poking a connection. Is it possible that that connection has just collected some moisture and corroded? I think you've done the hard part by being able to create the problem by moving the harness. I'd say the next step is to start disassembly and inspection. After all, you'll have to remove the harness if you plan to replace it. Why not get started at the end that seems to give the problem?

I used to have a similar problem with an old Jacobsen Turf Truck that would stall and die on me at the worst possible time, mostly on rough terrain. My problem was not electrical though. It was trash in the carb float bowl/fuel pump. When I finally cleaned the gas tank and carb, my problem went away. I now have a filter in the gas line. I'd say from your description that your problem is completely electrical and not related to fuel at all.

If you can't get the oil plug out, maybe you could pump or siphon the oil out of the crankcase through the filler tube. It won't get every drop out, but it is far better than not changing the oil when it needs changing.

BTW: Don't you have the Kasco Uni-hitch? I just bought the adapter plate for my original non-quick attach bucket. It was almost 1/2 the price of a new bucket, but at least I still can use my old pin-on bucket with my new quick attach adapter on my tractor.

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #3  
I would guess you have a broken wire and only that wire will need to be fixed. The wiring schematic is in the manual. If you don't have the manual go to the dealer and he will print out the schematic for you. You should be able to trace the wires and isolate the bad one.

With regards to the oil fill plug I use a flex adapter on a socket wrench to get the plug out. You can get a little better angle then to pull harder.

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #4  
Try your local Boat-US or West Marine for a oil change system. It's a small three gallon bucket with a two way pump mounted on the top. Comes with a small thin hard plastic hose that you can stick in the fill cap or dip stick tube. It will suck all the oil out and then you reverse the pump and emty the bucket into your waste oil bin.

Hope this solves one problem for you.

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine

Thanks for the suggestions, should have realized I need that manual and/or schematic. Since I just bought a bunch of Bobcat stuff from the dealer, maybe they'll toss in a manual /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This machine was originally bought by UVa Buildings & Grounds. Your tax dollars work hard /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jim--Kasco and Uni-Hitch sounds familiar. What I have is an SSL adapter plate on my Alo/Quicke Q920 loader on my NH TN90F tractor. The original Alo hookup system is solid but odd. I'll check and report back after my next trip to our farm. The quality on mine is not good (very hard to close the levers, etc /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif), so if it's the same brand, I hope your luck is better.

Wish they made Power Bob-Tach for this one /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #6  
Hi All Hoping someone can help Me Please I bought an older THX 6x4 John Deere Gator with 18hp gas engine, as a surprise for my husband, needless to say my surprise as turned into a nightmare. Since I getting it home it has not started so my husband as done everything he knows to do & looks at me like do not ever get him another surprise!! I have seen him take vehicles to the frame & build back up with no problem but not with this. It may be electrical? but the things he has tried that thought would work has not. Money is tight & I have been looking for a trouble shooter or service book I am finding newer ones for $$$ I don't have. Is there a place or site for the older ones that I can download or view. Any advice would truly be appreciated Sincerely Thank You Amanda V

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #8  
:welcome: To TBN

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #9  
Welcome! You might try to contact a local JD dealer for info. or manual. I believe that same engine was put in some of their lawn tractors. Good luck!:thumbsup:

/ Trouble with Gator 6x4 Kawasaki engine #10  
check the neutral switch on transmission.