Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit...

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
Now that my RTV will be out of warranty within the month, I think I'm going to try to address two issues I have when off roading. On some of my hills, with the traction I get with my Bighorn Radials, I flat run out of power with the RTV. Apparently it is putting out all it was made to, but it is lacking. The RTV weighs more than the old 6X4 Gator diesel I had and I think the additional weight is creating an issue with power. With good moisture content, but not muddy, my Bighorns really grab on some of my hills.

I've tried the half throttle and all over the throttle range in "L" range, but the ole RTV just doesn't have the power to pull some of my hills with two of us in it. I know with my Cummins pickup, there are literally hundreds of ways to increase power to the diesel engine. I was wondering if anyone has tried with the RTV. Nobody wants to drive the RTV now after driving my Rhino. It is going to be slower, that is a given, but it will not go up many trails that the Rhino flies up. It's simply a power issue. Any suggestions??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Next, I bought a second set of front struts for my RTV and plan to add the lift kit to those struts and simply change them out with the original struts after I add the lift kit from Essex. I figure that with the struts off, a local machine shop that charges $10 to add the spacers with their strut compresser will be pretty simple since I have a spare set of front struts. As I understand, adding the rear shackles are no big deal.

I need a couple of extra inches of clearance to keep from hitting some of the thousands of hidden rocks that are on some of the trails I made. The Rhino clears them no problem, but I've had two nice bumps with the RTV due to lower ground clearance. Two inches would have made all the difference in the world. Heck, if I can get the power up some, I may even swap out the 25" Bighorns on the RTV for a set of 27" ones like I have on my Rhino. The 27" Bighorns just look so much bigger and wider. I think the look would be great.

So, I'm ready for suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm afraid that if I can't get any more power out of the RTV, it may not be long for my stable. As I said, it's not necessarily the speed issue as much as it not having the power to run the same trails because it can't pull the hills. I think the lift kit with the spare struts, especially if I go to taller tires, will eliminate my bottoming out on rocks problem. Okay guys, can I get more power, or is the RTV just not going to work out for me? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #2  
Dargo, Weren't you the one that pulled a trailer and building with the RTV. Wasn't the weight several thousand pounds? I'm surprised the RTV won't pull your hills with 2 people. I'm keenly interested in this lack of power because I would like to get one to haul fire wood out in hilly areas. Maybe the RTV is not the machine for me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #3  
i have steaper hills than any pix i have seen in this forum i am in southeastern ky in the heart of the appalachian mountain range close to 3000 feet above sea level and my rtv in low climbs all our very steap grades with two person plus two hundred pounds of feed strait up a 50% plus grade hill with the ground wet. i have tried the half throttle but it does not work on these kind of grades but boy low range diff. lock 4x4 work great and with plenty of power left . i seems to have unlimited power in low plenty enough for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit...
Yes, my RTV was pulling nearly 6k in that pic. Rolling weight. However, with really good traction, it won't pull the extremely steep hills I have on my property. Admittedly, these hills are much more than you'd likely encounter and are even very difficult to climb up on foot. However, my Rhino blasts up them with the 4X4 diff locked, flinging 4 streams of dirt straight up. I don't expect the RTV to spin all four tires at 40mph while trying to climb hills, but if it had enough power to turn them, it would likely climb fine and work for me.

With the rear diff locked in 4X4 and low range, the RTV gets only so far up and then just grunts. It will slightly roll the tires over until they really hook up. Then it just grunts. Dealer has checked it, and it is puts out the same power as any other RTV. He too said that with the greatly added traction I have, the RTV just can't spin them when they really dig in on a steep hill. As I said, nobody wants to drive it then since they have to take a different route when following each other while trail riding. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Any diesel mechanics out there know if the pump can be cranked up on the ole RTV? I'd assume that would be the first place to start, with possibly larger injectors along with increased fuel flow. If it can be done, I'd love to keep my RTV! Otherwise, I think I'll have to look for another unit that is designed for work but is also capable on the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #5  
I'll be watching this one, if it'll work on the RTV, it'll work on the BX. I'm thinking turning up the hydrolics also. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #6  
I think the Polaris Ranger may be the ticket if it weren't for two issues. First of all reliability with Polaris products seem to be a real issue, I've read about alot of problems in a number of forums and my brother has had severe problems with his ATV. Secondly the box is considerably smaller than the RTV.

I expect in the next year or two Kubota will have a new model with more horsepower. For now Polaris does seem to have the best machine for a mix of work and play.

Have been impressed with the reviews on the Rhino.

Maybe someone knowledgeable in diesels will get you a solution soon.

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit...
I'm lookin' and waitin'. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I actually had agreed on buying a Ranger 6X6 when two good friends of mine talked me out of it because of reliability issues they were still fighting years after buying their Polaris ATVs. That is when I bought the Rhino. It's a blast, but is not in the same league as the RTV on work. With more power, the RTV will be just fine for me.

My dealer won't even talk to me about increasing the power on the RTV even after it is out of warranty. However, he did say that he thought it could be increased a pretty good percentage. I just want to know how! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #8  
In low range I've not seen a RTV stop spinning the tires yet. I do wish you guys would be closer as I can't get a customer to allow me to play with one yet. It isn't power if the hydro is stopping and either can be adjusted if the desire is there.

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #9  
When this subject started croping up on the different RTV sites most users apparently thought they had Bought An F-14 Tomcat rather than an RTV as the applications they were complaining about the RTV Not being able to do were impossible things! Which negated serious thought from me about there self induced problem!

Yours appears to be different but I will need to know the grade that you are attempting to climb (please be accurate, most people overestimate) and the position of the oil level that shows on the dip stick (trany)when it finialy goes "Grunt"

Like Art said I too can't stop the thing (at least mine) in low range!! Yeah I know use the brake dummy!!

I find this interesting enough to devote the time it takes to get an answer for you and others if possible!!

/ Power increase for RTV900 and lift kit... #10  
Dargo
I think Archdean is on the right track. The extreme grade plus the fluid level could be running the transmission dry. I have had equipment that had to be overfilled when used on grade or it would simply quit moving. Poor design on placement of the suction line was the culprit.
If I remember correctly, the fluid levels stated in the early owner manuals are not correct, they were low on the fill capacity. I would double check fluid levels.