Driveshaft rattles

/ Driveshaft rattles #1  

Tact

Gold Member
Just took my RTV back to the dealer for slack in the front driveshaft which makes an extemely loud rattle when idling. When put in 4 wheel drive it stops. I know of one other forum member who had nightmares with his dealer attempting to fix this problem with no success. He replaced both yokes, driveshaft, carrier bearings, and now thinks that they will have to go into the tranny. I was just curious if anyone else was having this problem and what you did for the cure.

/ Driveshaft rattles #2  
Let's hope yours is an easy fix. Cypress is having a real tough time and hope it gets resolved.

/ Driveshaft rattles #3  
We've had to replace a couple of the yoke assemblies on the output shaft out of the transmission and that took care of the problem our customers were having, but we did have a customer who waited too long to tell us about the problem he was having, had to replace tranmission output shaft to front drive shaft.

/ Driveshaft rattles
I appreciate the info. I'll pass it on to the dealer if they can't figure it out. I hope it won't be any more than that. Thanks.

/ Driveshaft rattles #5  
Yes, my RTV has the rattle. It is comming from the front drive shaft at the yoke/U-joint at the transmission. I contacted Kubota and they are aware of the problem and have solved it by changing the tolerance in that yoke/u-joint. The part number is the same. Until my new part arrives, I simply waped electrical tape between the shaft and the yoke/u-joint.

I later found this information on the Kubota web site under F.A.Q.

Bud

/ Driveshaft rattles
I recieved my RTV yesterday and so far the clattering and rattles are gone for the most part. The mechanic said that it will probably return and the only true fix is to drill a hole at the base of the yoke, tap it, and screw in a bolt just tight enough to put pressure on the shaft (set screw). The yoke is a slip-on type and it has room to move and vibrate as it wears. He said Kubota will not let them do this at the dealership, maybe because it weakens the yoke, I don't understand why. If the rattles do return I guess I'll try this fix but only after the warranty is out. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I'll post this on other sites, maybe this info. will be useful to others.

/ Driveshaft rattles
OK-- My rattles reappeared. I just got off the phone with my dealer who just spoke with Kubota. They said that in about 1 month Kubota is coming out with a completely new yoke design that will take care of these issues with the driveshaft problems. We'll see if that developes. I'll keep posting as soon as info. is recieved. I'll also post on other forums for others.

/ Driveshaft rattles #8  
I just got confirmation from my local Kubota dealer that there is indeed a new design for the yoke/u-joint assemby coming out. They have backordered the part and will notify me when it comes in. I'll try to get the part number/s and post it here.

/ Driveshaft rattles #9  
The part number for the u-joint assembly (K7561-16820)

Scroll down to the "4WD Shaft Rattles" on this page for the Kubota info on this issue.

/ Driveshaft rattles #10  
BC, this would be for the assembly machined to tighter tolerances no? My local dealer says Kubota is redesigning the assembly. It may have a new part number. I'll find out for sure though.