Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday

/ Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday #1  

dukenyc

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4100
The local dealer let me take one for a spin, and it seemed like what I need. He wants $8600 for it, and will throw in a free helmet (any $100 or less helmet). Any attachments (skid pad, roof, windshield etc... is -15% of Yamaha list price. 3 year extended warranty is $768.00, and I don't know if it is worth it.

Any must have accesories? Anything in particular I should inspect before taking possession? Any maintenance or mods I should make before the first outing? Anything else I should know, lol.

I really appreciate the help.

/ Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday #2  
I don't have a Rhino, but do have a Grizzly and would suggest

Leave it stock for awhile until you get used to it.

First suggested mod - better tires, 6 ply, not too big, and you will be fine

Drive it like you stole it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and have fun

Don't forget pics and ride review either - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday #3  
The first changes I made to my Rhino were to add a winch and skid plates. I almost immediately used both. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Once broken in, I added the Black Rhino CDI unit that takes out the 40mph speed limiter and increases performance. After getting stuck again, I added 27" Bighorn radials and a switch to be able to turn off the speed limiter in reverse. When trying to get out of a mud hole, it really helps to be able to spin the tires in reverse faster than the 6 to 10 mph range that is factory set. Don't forget the "stick stoppers" that will protect your CV joints. I have dings in mine; I'd hate to think what would have happened without them. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Then, you notice that you get covered in mud, so then you'll want to add the Yamaha factory mudflaps. Contrary to popular belief, they really do help! Ah yes, then you really want to know how fast you are really going; the LCD display in the dash instead of the little lights that come on the base unit.

Now, you will have a beast that will go places you never dreamed and up hills that you can't hardly climb on foot. So, you then will want to add the cool HunterWorks front console that holds two drink holders and has some storage space. Oh yes, the drinks; then get the plastic storage unit that goes under the driver's seat. It is good for at least a 12 pack - or Mello Yello that is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Finally, since you used the largest storage compartment for drinks, get the glovebox lid. That is of much superior quality than the one for the RTV, and it actually gives you a pretty decent amount of storage.

Hmm, did I miss anything? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Attached is a pic of my Rhino after I had only added the skid plates and the winch. For comparison, it is parked next to my RTV. Have fun!!

Oh yes, the only "add on" that was a mistake for the Rhino was the billet aluminum exhaust tip. It provided no performance increase, made the Rhino much louder, and killed light throttle resonse. It was a waste and had to go bye-bye.

Attachments

• 637715-PICT0363.JPG
    637715-PICT0363.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 213
   / Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday
Thank you both for the replies.

The Rhino was in fact delivered last friday. I gave it a bit of a workout over the weekend, but nothing to strenous.

Overall, I am very pleased with it. The engine starts right up, and hasn't stalled under load. I have not had the same issues with the prolonged warmup. It was about 45 here over the weekend, and no more than 30 seconds of warmup was required. I did it get it hopelessly stuck though, once.

When they say ATV, they really mean all terrain except mud. I tried to ford a small stream, and got stuck right in middle. The water was well above the floor boards, and despite being stuck, the engine did not quit and the belt did not slip. I had to shut it off and hike out of the woods to a friends who came and gave me a tow out. When I got back to the machine, it started right up and driove fine on the way home. I cleaned the mud out of it, and rode around for several more hours w/o incident.

The only add-ons I have are front and rear alum. guards for the A-arms, an alum brush guard for the back over the gear box, and a brush guard for the front for the headlights. I left the polymer/plastic skid plate in place and will replace it as needed with alum.

I definately think it needs a drink holder, and I will try and find that hunter works one. I will also add the digital tach/speedo and perhaps a winch (would have saved me some walking and some embarassement, lol).

Mine is missing the owners manual, which the dealer is going to mail to me ASAP. Anything else I should know in the meantime?

Oh, BTW, the dealer said to clean it off with a pressure washer after use. Is is necessary or even advisable? I am worried that spraying everything down will force water into places it shouldn't go.

/ Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday #5  
I'd love a shot at your mudhole with my 27" Bighorns and the BRP CDI with the reverse rev limiter also on a switch so it can be turned off. I've made it through every place now that I got stuck before. Sometimes I came through a little too fast. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The tires make a big difference. Also, only being able to go about 6 mph in reverse really hurts when trying to get out of a hole. The ability to switch that off is great. Good luck and have fun!!!

/ Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday
Dargo, It isn't really a hole, there is a small stream that runs across part of the property that is a about a 12-18" deep. The water wasn't the problem, when I got out to the middle, I just sank like a rock in the mud.

When I got out, I sank waist deep between the mud and the water. I honestly didn't think there was that much mud there, or I probably wouldn't have tried it. Also, I wasn't going very fast as i was trying not to splash water up on to the console where the air intake is. I had been driving along fine with the water above the floorboards prior to hitting the soft spot. When the machine sank, the water/mud combo was above the seat, almost to the shifter. All in all, I was pleased that the engine had no difficulties, and that the tranny/belt stayed dry.

If I may ask, do you have the hunterworks console/cupholder? For $241.00, I would expect it to be pretty nice, lol.

I noticed that the polaris has a metal mesh guard over the radiator and front tranny. I can't seem to find anything for the rhino to cover that area. The closest thing seems to be the radiator guard from hunterworks, but I cant tell what it actually covers from the pictures on their website. Do you have this on your rhino?

I like the big tires, but I don't want the shiny rims, I kinda liek the black or maybe a powdercoat or matte finish. I'll leave the chrome look to the Harley.

/ Well, My Rhino should be delivered on Friday #7  
I do have the Hunterworks console. I thought it was $124 though. Yes, pricey, but nice. I did stay with the black wheels on my Rhino when I went to the larger tires. They fit on the spare set of stock rims I bought just fine. Now I have the original set of wheels and tires off of my Rhino sitting on a shelf waiting to dry rot. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think you have the right idea with tires, digital gauge, and or winch next. I don't have any real gouges in my aluminum skid pans yet, and they were quite pricey. I waited until I had 50 hours on my Rhino before I added the Black Rhino CDI unit to up the speed and performance. With my additions, I do have a bit of change in my Rhino. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oh well, I really like it. And, it's been totally bulletproof so far. I don't expect that to change. My only wish is that they were fuel injected. No big deal, but it would be nice! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif