Little ATV

/ Little ATV #21  
Not too familiar with little ATV's but If I'm allowed to recommend an insurance company. I have insured my motorcycle for years and since 2003 I insured my Polaris sportsman 400 4x4 ATV with Markel Ins. Co. 2 locations in Pewaukee, Wi. and in Evanston, Il.They seem reasonably priced to me. Their toll free # is 1-800-236-2453
George

/ Little ATV #22  
Jim,
Since you already got the ATV's, mind if we talk insurance/registration for a minute?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Brian,

Just to clarify, I am an insurance agent (in PA), a CIC (Certified Insurance Counselor) to boot. Of the 6 insurance companies we represent that write homeowners insurance, NONE will add ATV's onto the HO policy. Only exception to that is that one company will add both liability and physical damage coverage onto a FARMOWNER policy. However, that same company will not add them to a homeowners policy.
)</font>

Don,

Glad to have you here to see if I'm on track. As I understand it, here's how it went (in PA). Prior to 10/1/03 no ATV's required registration/insurance. A new law went into effect on that date that required both. Once a vehicle is registered, it is no longer allowed on a homeowners policy. In other states that don't require registration, if it is utilitarian type ATV it "can" be added to a homeowners policy.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As for title and registration, did you get a title for the RTV? I did not, nor did the dealer give me any registration paperwork, which I believe is required when selling an ATV. I don't have any paperwork which would make me think I need to treat the RTV any different than I do my JD 855 as far as insurance and registration goes. From a pure technical standpoint, I don't believe I can legally drive my JD on public highways. I do, and I've been passed by lots of State Police while doing it. My guess is that if I'm putting up the road in my RTV with the spray rig in the back, they'll beep and wave as they go by.... Only time will tell.)</font>

OK, title/registration/insurance on the RTV....

Yes, PA does consider it an ATV and it does need title/registration/insurance.

To get a title:
Go to the ATV section of the DMV web site (access through www.state.pa.us).
There's an application form available online. Print it and fill in the blanks. Attach a copy of your bill of sale. NOTE: If the bill of sale doesn't have the full VIN (they normally only put the serial # on the receipt), take a picture of the VIN plate on the RTV and include. (VIN is above the battery).

When you fill in the blanks, you'll also fill out the section for registration/plates (and pay the $). A couple weeks later, you'll get a license plate, title, registration sticker. All you need now is insurance.

Brian

/ Little ATV #24  
Good info Brian. I'll do a little more digging on my side next week in the office.

After reading the DCNR page though, I'm not going to register mine, as I did buy it to use here on our little hobby farm. If I decide to drive it to the office some morning, I'll make sure I have the hedgetrimmers, shovel, rake, etc. to maintain the office...... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Little ATV
We are a little disappointed /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and a little worried /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif that the ATVs aren't here yet. I talked to them today and they were supposed to be shipped today and be here tomorrow. They claimed they had trouble getting them - even though they had told me they had them in stock. The credit card was charged on the 10th. If it isn't here tomorrow, I'll be disputing it to the credit card co, but I'm trying to be paitent and optimistic.

Question for you Brian,

The wife went to the Harley/Suzuki/Honda shop in town today. They had never heard of the "growing helmets" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Do you have any more info?

/ Little ATV #26  
Not good about not getting them yet.

For the helmet, I can't recall my daughter's particular model but check out www.vegahelmet.com.
Hers is a full face.

We got it at the local motorcycle/ATV store.

Brian

/ Little ATV #27  
Jim,

Too tired to post/look into it last night.
OK, here's what I found.
It appears my daughter has the Mojave PV. From their main menu, use the pullodown for "Off Road Helmet" and select that one.

From their page:
"Removable liner system for easy cleaning - 7 sizes (XS, S, M) (L, XL, XXL, XXXL) interchangeable."

The small 3 sizes and large 4 are interchangable. My daughter currently runs the S so all I need to do is buy a new M shell when it starts getting tight.

Brian

/ Little ATV
Do you know if there is any difference in a Mojave PV and a Mojave PV Jr.? The PV Jr. just comes in XS, S, & M where as the PV comes in XS, S, M & then L, XL, XXL, XXXL. I'm assuming the same thing just grouped on the site differently. I'm going now to go look to see if I can find a dealer close.

/ Little ATV
Woohoo, I just spoke with the shipping company - not the seller - they are to be delivered today. I'll be heading out here shortly so I can go play....er....get them set up for the kids. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Man, I'm feeling a whole lot better now.

/ Little ATV #30  
When you get them prepped & out & about, post a pic or 2......Along with a short review....My kids might need an upgrade............Thanks..........