Little ATV

/ Little ATV
Does anyone know how to determine engine size w/o tearing the engine down? These were supposed to be 70cc, the engines are stamped 49 cm3. The place is telling me they are all stamped that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, but based on serial number they can tell me if it is a 50 or 70cc engine - yeah right. I'd like to be able to determine for sure before I call them back today with the serial numbers.

BTW, thought I would post a quick update. Kids have been having fun with them. Both of them had bad fuel leaks - to the point you would fill it up, go out the next morning and the tank would be completely dry. Looks like most of it was just line problems, they had real thin almost plastic type lines. I was at Lowe's and picked up a about 3' of regular 1/4" fuel line and some decent clamps and it seems like we are OK now. Need to check it again. One starts easy runs real good fairly quick, the other one got pretty hard to start - bad enough that my wife ran the battery down trying to start it. I've been able to adjust the carb a little bit and get it so that it starts pretty good. Just a little cold natured, have to let it run with the choke out for about 30 seconds to a minute, but then runs fine. I don't know if I'll mess with it anymore or not - don't wanna go back to the hard starting.

/ Little ATV
I was surprised. When I called the company back, they were forth coming and admitted that they were only 50cc engines. They said they would either pick them up and deliver new 70s or they would give us a $175 credit. I took the credit. Didn't feel like having to recrate the ones we have and the uncrate the new ones again - plus these are going plenty fast enough for the kids. Tooks us down to just over $1300 for both of them. Kids love them.

/ Little ATV #43  
This is an excellent thread, as I'm in the same situation. I have an 8 year old son who wants an ATV, and I can't justify dropping over $2k on a new Honda when an "off brand" is going for $500.

So, now that it has been a couple months, are you still happy with the Hunters you bought? Do you think the 50cc model you bought is large enough for a cautious 8 year old? Have you needed any service? Any regrets at all?

Thanks in advance!

/ Little ATV #44  
Cart,

Thanks for resurecting this thread. I meant to post something but had forgotten to do so until you posted.

Take a look here for some good information on buying kids/small ATV's. Lots of good info.

Sorry Jim and others for not having thought of that place earlier.

Brian

/ Little ATV
As far as the ATVs themselves. Pretty happy considering the money we spent. Disappointed that the kids don't ride them more. One of 2 things, they have too many toys and just move on to the next one or they don't like wearing the helmets. Maybe as it cools down they'll start riding some more again.

As far as problems. Nothing major. One was a little hard to start. A little adjustment to the carb and that was solved. Pesky fuel leak on both - they actually included extra fuel line. I didn't use it. I went and bought some decent fuel line, clamps, and a Briggs fuel filter and that solved my problem. The only thing that is kinda ongoing is, the batteries don't really hold their charge for more than a couple of weeks. I guess that is why they include a charger. I'm not real sure if these things actually have an alternator/generator on them or not so that could be part of it to.

As far as appropriate for an 8 year, I guess it depends on how big he is. If he were small built like my kids are, he would probably be fine, but if he were built like Bubba the Moose /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, they would probably be too small.

/ Little ATV #46  
I had to resurrect this thread to see if anyone has had any other problems with these small ATV's. I'm looking at a SunL 110cc for my 8 year old's birthday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I too don't want to fork over $2000, and these, SunL's, are selling for $500

/ Little ATV
Only a couple of minor issues. The batteries don't really want to hold charge. One being worse than the other. Made me think the carbeurator needed adjusting, but I ended up putting it back to where it pretty much was, because it didn't help, but if I throw it on the battery charger it fires right up. I really should replace both batteries, but I really need to do the one, but for now I usually just throw the battery booster on it for a few minutes and then the kids are good to go.

Right after I bought them, I replaced the fuel lines and filters because I couldn't get them to stop leaking. Spent something like $5 or $6 on each one and solved that problem. Since then no problem.

Son has bumped a couple of things and flip it once, so he has broken a couple of body mounts, but nothing that I was able to fix quite easily. Can't see any of the repairs from the outside. I figure for the price these were pretty much disposable and if I can later sell them and get some money back that'll be a bonus.

Guess I really should change the oil in them since I haven't done that.....

/ Little ATV #48  
Are we talking about the atv's made in china ? If so , I had a friend of mine that went to Georgia & bought his kids a couple last christmas. Both are now broken down know & the only one that will repair them is the place in Georgia ! Guess what ? the guy that he bought them from no longer sells them ! If you buy a name brand,at least you can take it to a repair shop if (notice I said if ) you have problems. I still have a 87 suzuki 50cc atv that my 19 yr. old son rode for many trouble free years & it still runs like new !. You won't beat the quality of the name brands . You get what you pay for

/ Little ATV #49  
kenmac said:
Are we talking about the atv's made in china ? If so , I had a friend of mine that went to Georgia & bought his kids a couple last christmas. Both are now broken down know & the only one that will repair them is the place in Georgia ! Guess what ? the guy that he bought them from no longer sells them ! If you buy a name brand,at least you can take it to a repair shop if (notice I said if ) you have problems. I still have a 87 suzuki 50cc atv that my 19 yr. old son rode for many trouble free years & it still runs like new !. You won't beat the quality of the name brands . You get what you pay for
I agree. I think I'm going to pass on these. I'm also a little scared that my son might tip over on a sharp turn as I've heard of these accidents. I guess I'll wait till he's a little older. For now, he can drive the RTV.