HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision?

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #1  

FLDave

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4320, loadmatch, speedmatch, motionmatch, automotive cruise, r4's
Hello All,

Well I've pretty much read all I can on Utility Vehicles and their specifications. I looked at the Mule and the Rhino. I've gone out and test drove the RTV, the Bobcat/Club Car, and the HPX. It's nearing decision time.

My JD Dealer here is giving me about 22% off list price on the following:

John Deere 4 x 4 HPX
Diesel Engine
Deluxe canopy which includes seat belts
High Performance All Terrain Tires
$9,400.00

I may add some of the following also:
Rear Receiver Hitch
Bedliner for Cargo Box
Brush Guard
Floormat
Electrical Kit
Front Work Lights Kit
Rear Work Light

What I wanted to know is if any HPX owners have been satified with their decision or do any of you have "buyers remorse"?

I'm kind of wondering if maybe the Rhino would be a lot more of a blast to have but I know it's going to lack the Utility and Durability of the HPX Diesel. My common sense tell me go with the HPX Diesel but the kid in me is pondering the Rhino. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Of course at 44 years old the kid in me usually get pushed-aside on major decisions. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks, /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #2  
I purchased a similar HPX 4x4 diesel a few months back and I'm very happy with it and the engine. Sips fuel. Price is in the ballpark with what I paid. At times I wish it had a bit more go but I like it still. I'm 44 as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I added the front windshield, electrical kit, brush guard, front work lights, and interior light. Plenty of options but they can really up the price. Front work lights cost a good bit but I'm impressed on how bright they are. On the dirt road from my house to our Sportmen's club I find myself turning them off with vehicles coming the other way. I added one single rear light myself. Easy to do with the electrical kit in place. With the windshield I do notice at higher speeds that it tends to drag dust and diesel flumes into the canopy via the rear window. Thinking about cutting a piece of plexiglass for a back window. Not sure how to fasten it as yet. Not ready to spring for the doors which come with a back window. The hard doors are solid. Be nice if the upper part of the soft doors zipped down for a window. Some of our gators at work with Curtis cabs have this.

Some notes on other options. After looking at my mats and what they cost you might want to consider finding some rubber material and cutting your own using cardboard as a pattern. I didn't get the bedliner as I'm having the bed sprayed like pickup trucks. Called around and got a price of $100 to spray it. If you search this group you can find a company that makes a 2 inch hitch over the smaller Deere hitch. I also think the receiver on that 2 inch hitch mounts higher then the Deere hitch.

Craig

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #3  
Dang, I'm around the same age. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I have a Kubota RTV (which is going to be a direct competitor to the HPX) and a Rhino. Unless you have a huge amount of heavy dumping you need to do, I'd go with the Rhino. True the Rhino has a smaller box, but I've loaded it well over the "recommended" limit and it has handled it like a champ.

The Rhino will go places that the HPX or RTV will never dream to go. Believe me, I have both and it will. That means through more mud, more snow, and up much steeper hills. A neighbor has an HPX. It would flat out be a toss up between the RTV and HPX as far as what they will tow, what they will haul, and where they would go. No competition with the Rhino at all. That doesn't even mention the "fun factor" with the Rhino. It takes everything I can throw at it no problem and has been much more reliable than my RTV and my neighbor's HPX.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like my RTV, but if I had to choose just one; there wouldn't be a choice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck with whatever you buy!

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #4  
We've had our HPX since December '04 and are very happy with it. I think the Rhino is the meanest looking one of the bunch! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision?
Craig, thanks for the information. I would definitely like to have a 2" hitch receiver so I could use my truck hitches. If anyone knows where to get a 2" receiver hitch fo a JD HPX please tell me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the heads-up on the floor mats. I'll probably go to a restaraunt supply house and get a rubber mat and cut it to fit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I could never get the full cab here in Florida. It's going to be so hot soon it would turn into a suffocation chamber. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brent, I know the Rhino must be a blast. I would probably never get 800 lbs. in the bed of the HPX (unless my mother-in-law was riding in the back /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif). But I do need the surface area for hay bales, buckets, tools, (generator & compresser) etc. ... Maybe I'll get one of each so I could be like you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I couldn't get the RTV. It ran great but I just couldn't fit in the blasted thing. I even had the mechanic take the rear seat rest off and I was still uncomfortable in it. I either had to sit straight up like I was standing "at attention" or lean forward and hunch over the steering wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bill, I'm glad you like you HPX also.

I wonder how many hours the rhino engine would last? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have to stop second-guessing my self.

Thanks,

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If anyone knows where to get a 2" receiver hitch fo a JD HPX please tell me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)</font>

Dave, not sure about the HPX but hunterworks.com has these for several UTV's.

Brian

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #7  
The HPX is heavy duty and rides as such. Similar to an old 1 ton pickup. I haven't driven a rhino, but it would be my choice. I would get a small trailer to pull it with, and when I get where I'm going, hook it behind the rhino for hauling loads. The rhino's engine is very dependable with roots back to Yamaha's TT500 in 1976. It is now water cooled and 5 valve head. They do consume oil due to the large piston sometimes but keep running for very long times...Kyle

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #8  
I really like our HPX and have no regrets at all. I have had zero problems with it and we run the heck out of it everyday. We do overload it probably about everyday and it has held up great. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm sure if I was in the mountains there may be places it wouldn't go but so far I have not found anyplace it wouldn't go. I even used it to pull out the pickup this winter. We are very happy with ours.

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #9  
I bought the 2" receiver set-up I have from Hunterworks. I also bought my winch and mount from him also. Really nice to deal with and will answer all your questions. (if you have any). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ HPX Owners...Are you happy of your decision? #10  
I traded a 6x4 Diesel Gator for my Diesel HPX 4x4 last August. I have 125 hours on the HPX now and have been very pleased with it. Never has needed more power, especially since it has a low range for the trans. Mine is equipped almost the same as the one you speced out.