News on RTV shaft rattle?

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
I have my rtv in shop about front drive shaft rattle. Of course it will not do it when it is in shop. Anyone know if Kubota has acknowledged the problem or come up with fix?

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #2  
I haven't heard a thing. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #3  
If you do a search on "Warranty Items", a post I started about two minth ago, there is some info.

My dealer finally got all of the parts in for the "fix". The service mechanic came out last week. He replace the the front drive shaft and bearing in addition to the two gauges.

The machine SEEMS better. I will have to put a few more hours on it to see if the fix is permanent or if the rattle comes back.

As of 6 weeks ago, Neil Messick of Messick Farm Equipment said that there was "formal fix" just yet. He also thought that each machine would be handled on a case by case basis, not as a recall.

Hopefully Kubota will come up with a permanent solution.

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #4  
Well, back to the dealer again. This time for the final fix and replacement yokes. The mechanic said he is also going to put in a side set bolt in the yoke to put tension on the shaft. (I think this is the "real" fix). Also they are going to replace the fogging gauges for the third time and I'm going back to the old style trans. shifter. I hope this is the last trip.

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #5  
A side set bolt in the yoke will more than likely take care of the problem but it puts excessive stress on the splines...causing premature wear (your mileage my vary). Maybe new gauges will fix the fog up condition but I doubt it...they need a lens with an anti-fog coating or something to else to prevent or take care of internal moisture/condensation build up. Lastly, the old style T/M speed control lever assembly is the best way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #6  
Well, it's been a few weeks since the "fix". The noise and rattle is back. I guess I need to decide whether I can live with it or contact the dealer again.

Does anyone know if the problem will cause any long term damage or is it more annoying that harmful?

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #8  
Well, I got mine back from the dealer and no rattles - for one day, then the rattles returned. Seems worse now than before. Go figure. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What now?

/ News on RTV shaft rattle?
Took mine into dealer. Took 3 weeks for them to make the right phone calls and verify from tec staff in Georgia that there is a problem with front drive shaft on "early" models of RTV. They also put in a new set of guages. The plastic bed linner still rattles, which they were also supposed to fix. Have not had a chance to drive it, so will update post after a few hours of us. My sense is that over time a drive shaft that is allowed to vibrate on a spline that is housed with bearings will cause bearing failure. It is easy to over look these problems now because the RTV really is a nice machine.

/ News on RTV shaft rattle? #10  
I took out the drop in liner in my RTV and had it Rhino Lined. Now the front driveshaft rattle is loud! Yes, I have an early model. I complained fequently about it before going out of warranty. My dealer said that Kubota told him that they don't know what I'm talking about (no known drive shaft rattle problem) and stalled me until I was out of warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I know this is a relatively small issue, but it's about to turn me against Kubota on everything. If Kubota refuses to help me with my driveshaft rattle (especially since it is well documented that it existed before I went out of warranty, the JD HPX diesel is sure looking good. Also, I hear that JD has good competition for my L5030HSTC (including the cab) coming out in a few months. I sure hope Kubota gets off their a**! If I have to dump their products because they won't make good on them, I'll be sure to let everyone know. I'm used to dealing with manufacturers who take care of their customers. If I wanted to be on my own, I'd shop at Big Lots and Harbor Freight for my stuff!