Here is how I fixed my RTV 900 drive shaft rattle.

/ Here is how I fixed my RTV 900 drive shaft rattle. #2  
Dang!

Eddie, that is a well thought out, well illustrated and well documented fix you came up with.

Most impressive, thanks for sharing your solution.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Here is how I fixed my RTV 900 drive shaft rattle. #3  
Maybe you should send that link to Kubota, their engineers will be happy you did their thinking for them.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Here is how I fixed my RTV 900 drive shaft rattle. #4  
An anonymous email link to his fix just went to my dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Here is how I fixed my RTV 900 drive shaft rattle. #5  
How well would it work to use the rubber preloads with the OEM cross pin instead of the set screws? Just an idea. I don't have an RTV.

/ Here is how I fixed my RTV 900 drive shaft rattle.
Thanks for the positive response. I'm happy to share any ideas with you guys. These forums are great and I have learned a lot from them too.

Panache, The rubber preloads do not exert very much pressure. Only enough to pressure to help silence the non-pinned sides of the u-joint/yoke. I'm afraid that using larger bushings to exert enough presure to silence the pinned connections would create too much thrust load on the shaft bearings of the transmission and differential. Not sure if the bearings are tapered rollers or ball bearings, so I used as little preload as possible. Seems to be working great.

/ Here is how I fixed my RTV 900 drive shaft rattle. #9  
I think the spline turns the shaft, the set screw just rides in the recessed part of the pin hole and should last a long time with little wear.

FL_Cracker, you are correct. The set screw does exert pressure only on the machined countersunk area of the shaft where the original keeper pin used to go through. This area on the shaft provides a perfect fit to the set srew. There is two set screws, one on each side exerting pressure. There is no contact with any of the splines so there is no damage or maring/gouging of the splines. The parts will disasemble and slide apart as intended. The the original keeper pin doesn't transfer tourque, it only keeps the u-joint/yoke from falling off the shaft. I'll update my website to explain this.