Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #11  
Unfortunatly we have become a society of the unaccountable. Very rarely will anyone claim responsibilities for their own actions. It is rewarded in most cases because they "didnt know" and will in turn sue the manufacturer, owner, state,country,etc...

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #12  
Well welcome to TBN ...where the party never ends /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So now I need to “cry” because society has to pay some extra. Well welcome to life, this happens with more then just bikes here, as you stated. I could go on and one about this but the one that comes to find is health insurance. Does my premiums go up since some moron does not have it and I have to flip part of the bill, yup.. Well I could whine and complain but what will that do…ZERO. Plus I do not care. It happened before me and long after I am dead.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( (http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm) "Per mile traveled in 1998, a motorcyclist is approximately 16 times more likely to die in a crash than an automobile occupant. And 3x (times) as likely to be injured." )</font>

I do not know what that means without know the full background. Plus I do not know how or who supplies FARS with the data. Plus I do not trust statistics since you can turn them around pretty early for you liking; at least I learn how to in college.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am not of the opinion that motorcycles should be banned or helmets should be mandatory.)</font>
I agree and tell that to all the civil liberties unions and other people….losing battle here.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I liken it to gun safety. I am a huge gun fan. I don't rail against people who preach gun safety. I actually encourage it b/c I believe it helps save lives. )</font>

Since I live in MA the #1 state for having 100 gun locks on a gun and maybe you can have one. I will not post on the subject since it varies by what state you live in. Live here and see how long that mentality lasts. I promote it to a point or a line in the sand. Then it is crazy.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I understand some people not wanting others to tell them what they can and can't do, but why some motorcycle aficionados rail against "bike safety" makes absolutely no sense to me. With freedom comes responsibility. )</font>

I agree but I need a license to ride a bike but any moron can have kids and I have to flip the bill, along with society. Responsibility in today’s world is about as common as common sense; aka not common.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #13  
gsxr1100,
I can help you with ALL of those issues. Move a little farther north to NH /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
We don't have seat belt laws for adults (only state in the union that does not I believe), no helmet laws for motorcycles, no mandatory auto insurance, pretty lenient gun laws.

I think you'd fit right in up here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phil

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi, Why doesn't motorcycles have seatbelts just like cars have?

Thanks, Terry.

)</font>

I don't know but most likley would not like to be strapped to any high speed out of control heavy metal object.....

But have been motorcycling every single day for the last 37 years without a seatbelt, although I always keep my helmet chin strap latched on and my crash suit on.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #15  
It just happens that this year the statistics on Motorcycles accidents that include death are at their highest level ever...
From what I've seen I do not doubt it. I feel the sport has increased in popularity along with the accident rate. A large number of it being inexperience as well...
Getting back to being strapped on using a seat belt - if you were to escape injury, in an accident it would most likely be your ability to scramble away from the machine. I thankfully never have put down a machine on the street, but its not to say I haven't wadded ( a term used to described a crushed tin can) a few machines on the track !! my ability to scramble along with the ability to slide away to safety - using full leathers- was the deciding factor for me being able to continue the sport /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I cant imagine being tied on a machine and not being injured...

I cant see anything that will help or save a motorcyclist from the deadly left handed turn from a car.....unless they can put it down before impact....horrible conditions to encounter with few success stories.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Duc

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #16  
I have crashed and burned twice (both times with the help of a fella named Adolph Coors) doing over 60 on the hardball. Got up both times with some very nice rasberries. A good sealtbelt on that bike would have prevented the 2d crash and burn--I wouldn't have been alive after the 1rst one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyhow, decided I wasn't smart enough when to know when to drink beer so I quit drinking beer and riding on the road and bought a tractor!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #17  
I've read a few reports that due to the high cost of gas, that we now have many new members in the 2-wheel society and a large number are 40 - 60 year old baby boomers. The dealers sell them what they want, mostly sports bikes, and away they go, first bike + 120 HP + cage drivers that don't look = A STATISTIC. I think if the dealers required new buyers to show proof of completing a certified motorcycle safety course before selling them a bike it might save a couple lifes. Just my thoughts. Steve

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #18  
I haven't seen many 40-60 year old crotch rocket riders in Atlanta, or anywhere else. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In GA passing a written and driving test is necessary in order to obtain a motorcycle license. One can also qualify for the MC license by completing some of the MSC's.

I don't think the dealers should be held accountable for the riders actions, but then again, there does not seem to be too many people out there these days that will accept accountability for their own actions. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I would stop riding MC's /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif before I would wear a seatbelt while riding one. Just my personal and humble opinion.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #19  
Interesting statistic you mention.

The report also mentions over 80% of these fatalities occur OFF ROADWAY. So if you ride less miles off road and have more fatal accidents, then one could certainly achieve a greater percentage (16X) - correct?

The report also does not specify if the "per mile traveled" is on or off roadway, so I'm not sure what the point of the statistic is as it relates to insured (on roadway) drivers?

I'm not here to argue with you, but too point out that too many times people jump to conclusions without having all the facts.

Maybe we should also train other drivers to look out for and respect motorcycles and the MC accident rate would be less?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for riding responsibly and safely. I'm also very aware that I am riding at MY own risk. I'm also aware that there are those out riding MC's that should not be.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #20  
the stat was posted by a motorcycle friendly site, not some anti-motorcycle zealot. The report does not say a lot of things, that doesn't logically invalidate the results. In addition, I would love to read other studies that paint a contrary picture to the study I posted. Please post if available so we all can have more of the facts.

OFF ROADWAY does not mean off road riding.
Here is the definition from the report http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/809-360.pdf:
Off Roadway – A crash occurring on the shoulder, median, roadside, outside right-of way,
off roadway – location unknown, in a parking lane, gore and separator. A gore is an
area of land where two roadways diverge or converge.

"I'm not here to argue with you, but too point out that too many times people jump to conclusions without having all the facts."

What exactly is your point? What conclusion is flawed and where are the facts to show this flaw?

Almost every conclusion you and I come to is based on limited knowledge. We are rarely ever(if ever???) going to have "all the facts." Rational, thinking human beings take as much data as possible and make conclusions on that data. Does that mean the conclusions are always right? Absolutely not.

"Maybe we should also train other drivers to look out for and respect motorcycles and the MC accident rate would be less?"

I AGREE and think that comes under "safety" along with other things.

My contention was that when people bring up "safety" with bikes it is a positive, NOT A NEGATIVE as the previous poster alluded to by stating "Well I persoanlly can't stand when people bring up "safety" with bikes"

I apologize to the initial poster for threadjacking his/her post.