Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #21  
Not sure about the 40-60yr olds, its hard to tell anyhow, they dont usually have any identifying features exposed. I believe though that the issue is more related to the younger population. Typical reckless driving that I see is exibited by the younger crowd. Even growing up, it was cool for a 16yr old to get the fastest bike he could then brag to all his freinds about how he got to open it up on the deserted highway. You also see these kids splitting lanes at 40-60mph(I fit those numbers in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) above the speed limit. I really dont want to bash sport bike riders, because as I mentioned earlier, I know several and they are quite responsible. My point is that these bikes are factory race bikes available for cheap prices, which makes it easy for an inexperienced rider to get one and kill himself or someone else.

As far as training the caged public to respect bikes, make the drivers lisence test be a weekend long saftey course on a bike, regardless of if you will ever get on one again. Cant ride a bike in a saftey couse, you cant get a lisence. PERIOD... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #22  
I love statistics. Almost everyone of us "TRUSTS" them everyday without even knowing or thinking about them. From the suitability of drinking water to be consumed to prescription drug interactions to the durability of the tires we ride and drive on to the electricity that comes into our homes to the lifespan of plastic used to package and make so many items today, etc..... Statistics are so much a vital part of what happens from day to day in the industrial world that it is mind boggling.

Sure, people can make up surveys and interpret statistics differently. But the mathematics of the collection, organization, and interpretation of numerical data, especially the analysis of population characteristics by inference from sampling AKA STATISTICS is a great tool. Just like anything, it can be used for good and bad.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #24  
It was just the visual of associated with the 40-60yr old ( I resemble that) riding a crotch rocket struck me as very funny /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While I know there are many in that category, most of the ones I see while I'm out riding are much younger.

Now back to the seatbelt question....

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #25  
What exactly is your point? What conclusion is flawed and where are the facts to show this flaw?

Almost every conclusion you and I come to is based on limited knowledge. We are rarely ever(if ever???) going to have "all the facts." Rational, thinking human beings take as much data as possible and make conclusions on that data. Does that mean the conclusions are always right? Absolutely not.

I believe you answered your own question.

My point is that many people do not take the time to thoroughly evaluate and question data that is presented to them, especially if they are not part of the minority effected by the data.

Unfortunately statistical data can also be very subjective and manipulative.

Statistics can be a good tool - but IMO, common sense is a greater one.

Just curious, Do you ride?

BTW - Welcome to TBN - /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #26  
"I believe you answered your own question."
Not at all. I just took your word for it that there were other facts and I am waiting to examine the contrary data. Where is it? I was under the impression that you were going to provide it. I am open to changing my perceptions/thoughts/beliefs.

"My point is that many people do not take the time to thoroughly evaluate and question data that is presented to them, especially if they are not part of the minority effected by the data."

You imply I am guilty of this without any evidence. How do you know how much time I have spent evaluating the data?
In addition, it is interesting you attacked "a term" from the data without even trying to determine how the term was defined/used.("OFF-ROAD")

Let's stop splitting hairs. Please show, with "all the facts" as you put it earlier, the error of my way. Once again, I would love to read some other research/facts that basically contradicts what I posted originally.

Common sense is good. I think common sense(and physics) would agree that a motorcyclist is MORE LIKELY to die and/or be injured in a crash than an automobile occupant.

This isn't rocket science. Many motorcycle friendly sites agree:
http://www.bikesetup.com/Hurtin-2.htm
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm

These sites talk about the risks b/c they are important to remember. They have it on there so people don't become complacent.

Like I said before, I am not calling for a ban of motorcycles. However, knowing the dangers/risks is important. To argue that there are no increased risks of riding a motorcycle and then to compare it to slipping in the bathtub is either disingenuous or simply lacking "common sense."

"Just curious, Do you ride?"
No, too dangerous /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #27  
I have read almost all of the posts on the subject of motorcycle/safety/seatbelt/statistics!

I would like to mention that anytime there is an accident involving a car and motorcycle it is usually a no brainer about who will win that one. It amazes me the number of motorcycle riders who do not wear a helmet. A helmet may mess up the hair, but believe me, a wreck after 'no helmet' is not nice. I know I could get a complete night of sleep if accidents never happen.

To all of you out there I would like to say "be careful and watchout for your neighbor" Also, buckle up in the car especially the kiddo's

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #28  
I can't figure out the helmet thing either--with both of my wrecks on the hardball my helmets were cracked. Can't image what my head would have looked like. Seeing some cool dude flashing by on his machine with his bare legged, hair blowing in the wind sweetie on the back gives me the willies. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Guess we all think we are bullet proof at some time in our lives--some folks figure it out and some don't get the chance.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #29  
Yeah, I have to agree. I am not trying to pass any sort of judgement on people who don't wear helmets but, after I had a bad crash where I thought my helmet came off (it broke into 2 halfs attached only by the chin strap), I have to say that I always wear a helmet when I'm on a bike. There is no doubt my accident would have been fatal if it were not for the helmet. Even if I still think I'm bulletproof, I have to think of my family.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #30  
Guys,

This is what an emergency room nurse told me was the the joke around there.

What do you call a motorcycle driver?

Organ donor.

Sorry if this is morbid humor.