Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #1  

JohnBoy45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800DT
Hi, Why doesn't motorcycles have seatbelts just like cars have?

Thanks, Terry.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #2  
Would you want to be strapped to a motorcycle if you went down or got hit??

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #3  
On a bike you mostly want to get away from it on the way down. If you were belted to it you would be pulled along the pavement under the weight of the bike and substain VERY major injuries (Roadrash). Plus if the bike goes airborn in a wreck yuo sure dont want to be with it.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #4  
Because you have to have a ROPS or a cab or you are not to use a seatbelt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #5  
I have been riding bikes for 19 years, I would not want to belted in if it went down.

However, Next year, The new Honda GoldWings will be equipped with a factory airbag /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, they say it will slow you down when your leave the bike due to impact...Time will tell if they help reduce injuries though...

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #7  
In Israel, they put roll bars or ROPS on ATVs -- I don't know if they have been proven effective.

But I recall a comment made by my neigbor (55 year old professor with 3 Harley's) while discussing helmet use: If you were really concerned about safety you wouldn't be riding a motocycle in the first place. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #8  
Well I persoanlly can't stand when people bring up "safety" with bikes. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You can have an accident just walking into a bathtub, using a machine lathe, etc.....shaking my head.

Helmet usuage on a Harley /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif A bean pot is bigger.

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well I persoanlly can't stand when people bring up "safety" with bikes.

You can have an accident just walking into a bathtub, using a machine lathe, etc.....shaking my head. )</font>

E x a c t l y! And a groin pull with a flip of the coin, before the game even starts. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Question about Motorcycles and seatbelts. #10  
( Well I persoanlly can't stand when people bring up "safety" with bikes)

People bring up "safety"(not to imply that seats belts on bikes is safe) of bikes b/c "Society" pays for the risks of motorcycle operators, not just the operator and his/her insurance company. Of course, "society" pays for a lot of things it probably shouldn't but that shouldn't mean that a logical discussion/debate should be discouraged.

(http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm) "Per mile traveled in 1998, a motorcyclist is approximately 16 times more likely to die in a crash than an automobile occupant. And 3x (times) as likely to be injured."

You say "You can have an accident just walking into a bathtub, using a machine lathe, etc.....shaking my head."

The fact that you can have an accident doing other activities does not negate the increased likeliness of having an accident operating a motorcycle.

I am not of the opinion that motorcycles should be banned or helmets should be mandatory. However, I do believe that the risk and costs associated should largely be the burden of the operator and not society as a whole. Unfortunately that will never happen so in my opinion people are therefore entitled to "bring up bike safety" and should do so.

I liken it to gun safety. I am a huge gun fan. I don't rail against people who preach gun safety. I actually encourage it b/c I believe it helps save lives.

I understand some people not wanting others to tell them what they can and can't do, but why some motorcycle aficionados rail against "bike safety" makes absolutely no sense to me. With freedom comes responsibility.