RTV making weird noises again

/ RTV making weird noises again #1  

cypressman

Well, here goes, this may be a long post, but please bear with me! My RTV now has 180 hours, the dealer was able to fix my original shaft rattle by installing a new longer yoke and new shaft (the first section closest to the transmission). It was, and remains quiet after some 50 or so hours, but now I have a new rattle. This is in the front drive assembly. It rattles at all speeds in 2wd. Sounds like something is coming loose. There doesn't appear to be much loose motion in the front shaft from the carrier bearing to the front drive. Also, the engine has now developed a "droning" sound and vibration at half throttle. It creates a vibration that can be felt in the seat, and thru the steering wheel. It doesn't happen till about half throttle, then goes away at full throttle. The engine noise goes way up, and then quietens down as RPM's increase. I just had the dealer perform the 200 hour service, and he couldn't find a problem!

/ RTV making weird noises again #2  
Could it be the center carrier bearing going out??

/ RTV making weird noises again #3  
Sounds like you need the fix for the front driveshaft rattle.
Check the front driveshaft all the way in the front.

For the engine sound, I can't hear it through the typed word.
At approx. 1/2 throttle, the engine/tranny and hyd. pumps are thinking about what's going on. If under load, the aux. pump may be trying to kick in (it will reduce your speed but provide more power).
Example, when I'm climbing a steep hill, if I start with the pedal mashed all the way to the floor, I'll start climbing but it'll start to bog down. When I back the pedal off to 1/2 way, the aux pump will kick in. When this happens, the engine will resume RPM's and I'll have more power to the tires. This aux. pump is incorporated to offer more power when in use but will do it by sacrificing speed. For an analogy, think of a 2-stage pump on a log splitter.

Brian

/ RTV making weird noises again
bczoom: Thanks for the reply! I know that "the typed word" is no substitute for being there, but it's the only resource I have at present. The noise is a recent development. It's like the engine is "hitting hard" for lack of a better term. The engine has up to now, ben very smooth at all rpm's, but now, as I say, seems to vibrate, or "drone" at about half throttle. It's not coming from the transmission, but from the engine. It also seems to be a lot rougher at idle than before (not missing, but hitting hard), and the idle speed is somewhat lower. I removed the muffler spark arrestor, to no avail. Is there a maintainence procedure for de-carboning the muffler?

/ RTV making weird noises again #5  
Did they put the right amount of oil back in it?
If/as I recall, the manual capacities are incorrect.

According to the stick, it's fine. The problem started before the last service.

bczoom: I could possibly have found part of the problem. There's a rattling from inside the muffler. When idling, I can hold the tailpipe, and the noise goes away. Without holding the pipe, or putting pressure on the muffler, the muffler rattles like crazy, but all fasteners seem to be tight. I wonder if the noise, or resonance at half throttle could be related? Have you experienced any problems with the innerworkings of the muffler assembly becoming loose? My dealer just scratches his a-- and says "well, we could look at it an a couple of weeks".

/ RTV making weird noises again #8  
My RTV now has 100hrs. There was alot of rattle going on with it. The tailpipe only fell off, still under warranty so dealer is replacing that and the parts that make the yoke rattle(y joint?). The parts for the yoke are on back order. Is it common to have just the tailpipe fall off? We did not run over anything to have it ripped off...

/ RTV making weird noises again #9  
We have 2 RTV's, one (200hrs) is on the third tailpipe/muffler assemby and have constaint problems with fuel / temp guages working..
Local Kubota folks keep fixing it without issue. The other RTV (100hrs) has not had any issues.