Please help me find a Snow Cat!!!

/ Please help me find a Snow Cat!!! #1  

BigAl

Platinum Member
California , Idaho and a little island in Panama
Tractor
Kioti DK45TLB
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to locate a older model "Tucker" Snow Cat to buy.
It can be "Parts" , a "Basket Case" or "Complete Running Unit" . /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have been to the other web sites,also Ebay, and thought I would try here .I am also"VERY" interested in buying a "Kristi" or a "SnowTrac" style snow cat in any condition !!!. Anyone know of a machine sitting in a field ,barn, shop,etc???
!!I will pay a finders fee on anything I buy !! Hey Christmas is coming and we can all use a little extra money !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
There must be one sitting around unused and forgotten somewhere ?I am in California/Idaho. I don't mind having to travel to get one . Call me at 530-265-8079 ,email at hutson@localnet.com or reply here at TBN .
Thanks to all ,
Allen

/ Please help me find a Snow Cat!!! #2  
I would check out the local want ads in the newspapers for the CO and surrounding states - they seem a bit more popular there. Also may want to check ski resorts and around them, they may sell off the old ones.
Good luck! I will look around here for you but WV is limited on that kind of stuff...

/ Please help me find a Snow Cat!!!
Thanks ! I appreciate it very much . Yes I have looked over the newspapers for the western states . A lot of the stuff in the ski resorts is newer than I am looking for . I am looking for 1940- 1972 era snowcats . Thanks again
Allen

/ Please help me find a Snow Cat!!! #4  
How big? How far are you willing to travel? Here's 1 just a few miles away from me:

snow cat - Bombardier, w/plow, needs work, $1550 B/O Amsterdam, NY (518) 842-0619 Eves

Hi & Thanks ,
We looked at the Bombardier ,when we first started looking . I am 6-4 and a Bombi seemed to be a little tight . It was a bombi BR100 (I think ) .I know they make different models though . I need one that will carry 4-6 people .
Allen

/ Please help me find a Snow Cat!!! #6  
Al, take a look at SafetyOne. They are the largest Snow Cat dealer in the world and have used machines, parts and training. There is a page that is sort of hard to find on their site that even gives buying advice on what to look for when buying used equipment.

http://www.sotc.com/snow.sale.html

Snow Cats & Snow Dogs article: http://www.sotc.com/snowdogs.html

I found my 6 to 7 passenger Snow Trac on an English military surplus site that listed all sorts of military and non-military equipment. If SafetyOne can't help you out, you may want to do a web search of the military sites. I imported mine from England but there are some scattered around the US and Canada. Tahoe Basin seems to be a hot spot for Snow Tracs as they are popular on estates, easy to maintain, reliable and very capable. BTW, I don't recommend trying to import one, it took several months to make arrangements, get clearances, etc. and then another 6 weeks to transport it. I was lucky to have a seller willing to put up with the hassle of packing it up, transporting it to the dock, etc.

You may also want to consider the Studebaker Weasel, some were equiped for Snow and will hold the number of passengers you are looking to carry.

Volvo made some great articulated snow cats that you might want to consider, the British military switched from Snow Trac's to Volvos during the cold war.

Hi Bob ,
Yes, I have already talked with Barb at SOTC . I do like the looks of the Snow Trac . I know all about importing into the U.S. I picked up a 1847 antique snow sleigh from Canada . Oh Boy ! What I nightmare ! It took two months ! I talked with a real nice fella who has a Snow Trac today and he told me he thought I would be better off with a Tucker because of the terrain I will be in . Tucker has been my first choice but then Mother saw a picture of a Snow Trac and now wants one . I do have a couple of leads on a couple here in the states for sale . I also just got off the phone on a Kristi KT2 and a KT4 . Sure wish it was a KT3 . I would already be hooked up to the trailer and on the road to pick it up . I also found a BV202 in Sweden that the owner is checking on the shipping cost as we speak . I told him he ships to my door or I am not interested !I went and looked at a Thiokol 601 in great shape on Friday . Boy ! Those things are huge ! Seats 12 people ! I here they will go anywhere ,but I know little about them . There is actually a Weasel that was listed on ebay today .I do love the Tucker Kitten but need more room than 2 passenger Kitten .
Thanks for the information.
Allen

/ Please help me find a Snow Cat!!! #8  
So???? What is the latest update? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Can you get the Volvo shipped over from Sweden in reasonable time? Is your better half set on the Snow Trac because of looks? Any leads on a Tucker? Since Tucker is your first choice which model are you looking at and would you accept a short cab version and then be willing to fabricate a passenger cab behind it to suit your needs? I ask that only because I found a Tucker on the internet a while back, it was only a 2 seater.

When I did another search recently I found it is still for sale. Douglass Sales, Tucker Snow Cat

Hi Bob ,
I bought a Kristi for myself to use last night . It is the KT4 in a soft top pickup design , The soft top is long gone ,but otherwise it is pretty much complete. They were used in tundra and swampy conditions as well as snow . The tracks can be extended verticle an addition 16" for deeper water fording . It uses a corvair motor which is frozen up so now I am looking for one ,if anyone out there has one .It will be a major restoration job!
I am also waiting to hear from a guy today who has a "prototype snowcat" made by a major snowcat company that was never put in production . It is complete and needs nothing and he uses it regularly . He has agreed to sell it to me and I am waiting to hear the price today . I won't even show a picture of it or tell you the brand until I get it in my possesion .Wish me luck !!!
And lastly ,I put a offer on a older Thiokol 601 that has been completely rebuilt and is ready to go that would be for the wife .This one will get a new "polished wood interior" like the old travel trailers in the 1940's had.
I am still looking for more snowcats so keep the messages coming .
Allen

/ Please help me find a Snow Cat!!! #10  
The Kristi's are cool machines, I'd have gotten one if I could have found one of those. I've not seen the soft top configuration so it would be nice if you posted some photos!!! As with the KT4, my Snow Trac is at home on gravel, sand, mud, muck and snow. So really they are all season vehicles. Good luck on the restoration. I'll be spraying in a RhinoLiner floor in mine very soon (possibly tonight if I get out to the shop to finish taping off everything that shouldn't get sprayed). I'm gathering you won't get the Kristi up and running before the snow gets deep since you don't have an engine. But I suspect a Corvair engine would be a fairly easy find.

I'm not familiar with the unit you're getting for your wife. Is that one of those square box type snow cats that sort of look like an old flat nose bus on tracks? If so, that could make for an interesting interior. Based on what you wrote, I'm thinking "airstream" camper interior.