Gas v. Diesel Gator

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is a GP RTV?
)</font>
A General Purpose RTV, see RTV
Andrew

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #13  

Hint to newbies: Tell folks where you are (update your profile) and you'll get more responses to for sale blurbs. We promise not to send you junk mail since you only need to give the basic geography (Town/county & state). And the other requested info helps each of us understand where folks are "coming from" literally and figuretively when they express an opinion, etc. Skip the pictures--man, some of you turkeys are Ugggleee /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, Oh, I suppose we can't all be handsome like Capt Bird and Earthforce Mark (wait a minute, might reconsider on latter... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

BTW, I have had good luck with a 6x4 gas for sev yrs now, except for a nagging starting/running problem which I finally traced to a ground wire intermittance (that's "loose").

One consideration for me: this one (Kawasaki 18 twin) is whisper quiet compared to the RTV, HPX and any other diesels I have tried out. I did note that the (newer) HPX gas Kawasaki seems noiser, though I am not sure why.

Also for me, it seems easier to use a gas engine for start and stop driving, which I do frequently with my gator. I tend to let my diesels idle which as several have pointed out on here is not always good, and it just seems more appropriate to cut a gas engine off then on again, more often. I suppose starting a diesel just seems like a bigger deal.

One other note, and my Exmark (zero turn) dealer Service Mgr backs this up on his experience: Kawasaki does not make servicing its engines easy. That may have changed on the HPX, but on mine, even changing the oil is hard. There is a nasty expression for the Japanese mfrs attitude about their belief on the smell of their waste (ie, there is no need to worry since our stuff never needs service...), but Mohammed's filters would never let it thru.

Confession: my Italian New Holland engine ain't no bed a roses, either!

Just my 2¢ worth for what it's worth,

Jim

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #14  
sorry i didn't notice my profile was out of date /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. i really didn't want to sell my hpx but if the right offer comes around i will. she never gave me any trouble i think they should make it manditory for all new gators to have the full clutch enclosure that would be a good improvement .i have a friend down the road and we are lookin at my hpx real hard right now trying to fab some find of lift kit for it.the only drawback is it's still under warranty and i don't wanna void anything /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifso we just gotta wait right now. but as for where i live man i live in the swamps down in south east louisiana.terrebonne parrish. it does real good in the mud it would do better with a clutch enclosure and some better tires. i'm gonna try and post some picture of the hpx going up a incline with a load of logs .the incline is almost a stright up and down climb but the hpx does it with no problems it does slip when it's wet but when its dry it's ok the only thing stoppin my gator is traction /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator
Well, I guess I have done it. If I can afford it, which is a big "if", I am going with the diesel. My dealer procured a new HPX 4x4, which will be about a 1600.00 dollar upgrade from the gas one I have been trying now. He is getting a set of chrome larger wheels and Gator style tires for it, a spray-in liner, floor mats, and a Ramsey winch. He is fabricating a front/rear detachable plate for the winch to be used both front and back and an electric dump bed. Sounds good, but I hope I can afford to get it!!! The only part not yet in is a 72" front blade from American to mount to the winch for bad weather. The whole package should be ready by later next week. That should give me time to sell everything I own to buy it. I will try to post some pictures. Thanks to all who helped me with the process of spending money!!! (He offered to mount a stereo, but I politely declined that addition; and yes, he has done it before for a customer).

John M

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #16  
You won't regret going with the diesel. The two speed trans will come in handy with the bigger tires. How much bigger are you going? Be sure and post pictures. That sounds like quite a rig!

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #17  
jcmseven

You will like the HPX 4x4 Diesel. I think it is the best way to go. I have a 2004 model and will soon trade in my JD 6x4 diesel to get a 2005 HPX 4x4 Diesel to replace it. I use one of these ever day in my horse stable business. They are just what I need to do the job.

The ride is better then the 6x4 and the power is better to. I've also added some ATV equipment for the Gators. I have a seeder and sprayer that I pull with the Gators. I use the Gators to help care for the pastures so as not to tie up my tractor.

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #18  
I have a Diesel Gator HPX. One of the reasons I went with the Diesel is the engine life is about 50% greater than the gas engine (roughly 1000 hours greater), which I thought worth the approximately 15% price difference.

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator
Well, the Gator is ready. My dealer has sent pictures to me and it looks really nice. I am going to try to get it this weekend. My dealer said he took it to the community's "Toys for Tots" parade and it was all the rage. I will post pictures (if I can figure out how) once I get it. It looks pretty beefy and the new tire/wheel combo makes it look a lot meaner. I am not really sure how much I will use this thing, but I am certainly going to try to find some uses. He also put an "American Eagle" plow on it for winter time and light grading that is winch operated. He said the company was a little slow getting the plow to him, but it seemed heavier and a little better made than the John Deere plow. I understand they have other offerings for other ATV's and UTV's also.

John M

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #20  
Jcmseven

I can't wait to see the pictures! I as well pickup my new 2005
HPX 4x4 diesel Gator yesterday. I will put it to work today for the first time. You will love you HPX as well! Good luck and have fun with it.