Gas v. Diesel Gator

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters,

Last month my trusty John Deere dealer found me a good deal on an HPX gasoline Gator. It was used but not high hour and in good shape. I was quoted a price of $8200 with a power dump bed and floor mats. I am springing for a 72" front blade and winch for the machine. I currently have it and have no complaint, but I have not yet gotten the winch, so I have not yet had to pay for the machine until the winch is ready (dealer letting me use it). My dealer can get me a diesel Gator new for $1500.00 more. He says that there is "no difference" between the diesel and the gasoline Gator, but I have heard good opinions so far to the contrary, including a very highly respected panel member here. Before I make my final decision, I wanted to ask those who have had or used both, is it worth the difference? I will not use this machine for high hour work, but I will work it and also have a diesel tractor. Is there ANY significant performance difference seen by those with the machines? In reality if I did not have a tractor to do most of the heavier work, and relied more heavily on a UTV I would get an RTV Kubota (even though I bleed green), but part of the purchase of a machine like this is the dealer who is a friend and great person. Also, due to the distance involved between my dealer and I, I probably will only be able to muster a test drive before having to decide, so advice would be helpful.

John M

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #2  
I've driven the gas gators but have never owned one. Personally, I don't like the sound of the gas engines. The shop foreman of the JD dealer I use said most of the Gator problems they've had occur in the gas models. This is the second diesel Gator I've had. First was a 6x4 Diesel that I had for nearly 4 years. I've had my HPX Diesel 4x4 for over a year now. It's been a very good machine. Uses very little fuel, lots of power and sounds great. Mine is equipped with hydraulic dump, bed liner, HDAT tires, ROPS and lights.

Will it perform better than the gas model? I don't know; performance is great with the diesel and it'll move any load that you can get traction to move. The diesel is bullet-proof, will last a long time and uses very little fuel.

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #3  
jcmseven

Go for the diesel. I have a HPX 4x4 diesel and a 6x4 diesel right now. I'm thinking of upgrading the 6x4 to another HPX 4x4 diesel.

The HPX are big improvement over the 6x4 diesel.

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #4  
I have the 6x4 diesel gator.

The diesel has a 40 amp alternator good for that winch extra lights a radio etc...

Uses the same oil, filter, fuel as the other stuff in the barn. Same motor as lawnmower.

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #5  
I agree, go with the diesel.

I've had both although the gas model was at the dealer more than it was at my place due to mechanical problems (do a search on my username for details).

Even though the little Yanmar diesel is only rated to have one more ft/lb of torque than the gas engine, it feels like much more when under load. The torque is also lower in the powerband which makes it more usable.

I've got a little over 250 hours on mine now and it gets worked almost daily. I have had zero problems with the diesel. Like Jesse1 said, it's bulletproof!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #6  
Maybe it just me, but I am not sure why you would buy a used diesel gator when you can buy a new GP RTV for less money.

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #7  
Here's a Gator in action! Pulling my Miller Trailblazer 302 on 5 x 8 trailer I'm in the process of rigging out. I've added reels for the welding leads since the picture was taken. I'll use the Gator to pull the trailer around the pasture when I build pipe fence.

Attachments

• 779734-Trailblazer4.JPG
    779734-Trailblazer4.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,434
   / Gas v. Diesel Gator
Thanks to all the posters so far. I appreciate the info!! To MFE, I understand your question about the Gator V. RTV. The answer is that when comparably priced I would go with the Gator because of my close ties to my friend who runs the dealership. This is one reason, though, I have considered the diesel as it seems more of an apples to apples comparison v. the RTV (the power steering notwithstanding). I thank all for the responses and keep the info coming. It is very helpful. Jesse, nice picture!!

John M

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #9  
Diesel is the way to go if you have the money. The Kawasaki motor in the HPX is very cold natured.

/ Gas v. Diesel Gator #10  
if your in the market for a gas hpx i might have one for sale it's less than a year old. i plan on upgradeing to something bigger but i can't afford two of them so one would have to go.it's in great shape and it pulls like a mule got the winch kit for the front and back with a 12 foot remote. and the heavy duty roll cage with 4 55watt spot lights mounted on a bar. the winch is a warn 2500a and it can be pinned in the front or the back it's wired up with quick connects and when it's not in use i keep it in a box in the bed.i allso have a 1 million candle power spotlight that stays under the dash that you can plug into the 12 outlet.and a 12 volt air pump too.all for the low price of 8500.00 it has 250 hours on it.