Clearing Trails

/ Clearing Trails
OK, you guys won. I bought a chain saw today (Stihl MS-260) along with chaps, helmet/visor/ear protection combo and spare chain. I was talking to a friend today and learned he used to be in the tree cutting business. He offered to come over and do a little hands-on training. This guy is a safety nut so I'm sure he'll show me the correct way to wield this widow-maker.

Thanks to all who offered your encouragement (I think). If I end up missing any fingers or limbs because of this, I'm going to retract my thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clearing Trails #12  
Just make sure you always keep a firm grip on the handles and be most careful while limbing.

/ Clearing Trails #13  
Have him show you how to sharpen a chain while he's there.

/ Clearing Trails #14  
RE: Chain saw accessories
I would pick up a couple of plastic wedges as you will bind your chain saw bar occassionaly and need a wedge to dislodge the bar/chain.

/ Clearing Trails #15  
I also wanted to mention,i use all the woodchips from chipping the brush ,from the trail brush and my woodlot to fix the bad places.REMEMBER dont use them where water sometimes stands ,they float.They really smooth up a rough area.You can get the kids a dump cart and they can help.The first thing i did was cut the property line trails.Be careful to stay just inside the line to avoid trouble.You now have established a perimeter to pratrol your land.I then had several other trails come off from these.Sounds stupid ,but the kids named them,and made little signs..kind of cute.
10 year olds path
8 year olds lane
swamp trail
stone wall path
poachers lane
line trail
apple tree road
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ALAN

/ Clearing Trails #16  
A MS260 Sthil is a great saw.
With 12 wooded acres you and that saw will become close personal friends, treat it right and with great respect and it will reward you with lots of jack **** labor as I have so fondly come to call dragging and throwing trees into piles.

/ Clearing Trails #17  
bmac,

You'll appreciate the chainsaw. You got the right equipment. Just use it safely. Having your neighbor/friend help is a great asset.

For your trails, I'd like to propose that you don't cut them off at ground level. On trails, erosion happens. The dirt will wash away and you're (now ground level) stump will re-appear. It'll become a hazard. It'll be harder to dig out since there's nothing to grab to rip it out.

Your kids are there.... don't risk it. For now, drive between the trees. When you have the equipment there, pull the whole tree out (roots and everything). Backfill as needed.

Brian

/ Clearing Trails
Brian,

You make an excellent point - I didn't consider the erosion factor. However, most of the woods where the kids will be riding is too thick with sapplings / small trees and large vines for them to fit between them. Most things we cut today were in the 1"-2" size with a few measuring up to 4". We did this with a combination of a cordless sawzall and a DR Trimmer equiped with what I thnk they call a beaver blade (a large metal diak with a chainsaw-like chain around the edge). We only cleared about 150' but in that distance, there were only a couple of 6" trees that we will come back for with the chainsaw. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'm not sure there will be any stumps emerging over time that will be big enough to cause an accident or throw them from their ATVs. And, I will be monitoring the trail and will be able to go after any troublesome stumps with the backhoe once I get the tractor out there.

Another thing, at the current rate of clearing, I predict it will take a long time to clear the trail - I'll probably have the tractor over there by then and, hopefully, will be able to implement your plan.

I do appreciate your suggestions and will keep a close eye out for potential problems.

/ Clearing Trails #19  
bmac,

I suggest more reading/searching on TBN for others trail clearing efforts. There are many ways to get your place truely ready and safe for ATV's.

I approached my area with chain saw and lopers. Then graduated to tractor and FEL. The chain saw and lopers worked for big trees and low hanging branches. I cut trees four feet up. This was so the tractor and FEL could use them as leverage removing root ball and all. In the areas of sapplings, the tractor and FEL once again proved their worth, getting under the roots and clearing/ripping them out.

That said, having cleared about an acre of trails, I called in a dozer operator. What I ceared in a month of part time work, they cleared in two hours. They even stacked the cuttings in a burn pile.

I ended up saving my back and tractor. Trail clearing is tough on man and machine. Wear saftey equipment even when operatoring your tractor in the woods. Good luck to you.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clearing Trails
Mike,

Good morning. Regarding using a dozer to clear the trails, I inquired about that method here on TBN when I was having my building site cleared. Some (I can't remember if it was 1 or several people) suggested that using dozer would result in trails that were too wide and would really tear up the terrain. I also recall someone saying that leaving the roots would help prevent erosion (I could be wrong on this recollection).

I agree that doing this the way I'm approaching it now is going to be very time consuming. And i can see merit in the issue of eliminating stumps for safety reasons. As far as hard work is concerned, I wouldn't mind my kids having some sweat equity in the trail preparation. Having said all of this, time and energy considerations will necessitate a more efficient method of clearing these trails.

Thanks for the feedback.