Clearing Trails

/ Clearing Trails #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question or not, but we'll soon see.

I will soon be moving to our new home that is being built on a heavily wooded 12 acre tract. We have been promising the kids that we would get ATV's once we moved out there. Well, Santa did not get the message right and delivered them Christmas morning instead.

So, now comes the fun part of clearing trails through the woods. I started the layout today, making sure I won't have to cut down any large trees. Just guessing, but the largest trees to be cut will probably be in the area of 6" diameter. Most are smaller.

My plan was to use loppers on the stuff less than about 1"-1.5" in diameter. However, my concern with this small stuff is the possibility of tire puncture from the stumps. Obviously, I'll try to cut them off as clost to ground level as possible. Will tire puncture be a problem? Should I find another way to remove the small trees? Unfortunately, I won't be able to get my tractor over there until we move (probably March) and I would like to get the trails done before then, if possible. Furthermore, I'm not sure I can get the tractor to all areas safely due to the slope.

I'm going to get someone with a chain saw to clear out the the bigger stuff (I'm not comfortable with chainsaws), but I would like to make some progress on the small stuff in the meantime.

So, if anyone has some ideas on this, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

/ Clearing Trails #2  
Get your self a battery powered sawsall with a couple of large trimming blades. It will save you a lot grief over a loper and will cut up to 6 inch trees. Half the fun is making the trails.

/ Clearing Trails
Jim,

Hadn't thought about the sawzall. Don't have a battery-powered one, but I could put the generator in a trailer and tow it behind the ATV and use my AC version. Or, I could go and buy a battery-powered one (I'll check some prices on-line now). Good idea. Thanks.

/ Clearing Trails #4  
ATV tires are pretty,tough, just cut them off as low as you can with your bush cutters.I goT several long woods trails for my kids,and have had no problem .How about using the hoe on the NEW HOLLAND.You gotta dig them a mud hole to go through /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifTEACH THEM GOOD SAFE RIDING.
ALAN

/ Clearing Trails
Escavader,

We are trying to teach them safe riding. As a new ATV owner, I'm learning right along with them. One difference, though, is my healthy dose of respect for the dangers associated with carelessness - something kids don't seem to have.

I wish I had my tractor at the property to help with the clearing. However, I decided that buying a trailer did not make much sense as I only use the tractor for personal projects. I may decide to rent a trailer for a weekend just to get the tractor over there for some trail work. We'll see.

/ Clearing Trails #6  
I think that with 12 wooded acres you will want to cultivate a relationship with a chainsaw. If used properly they are one of mankind's greatest inventions!

/ Clearing Trails #7  
I've used both the cordless sawzall and the corded with a generator in the back of the Gator. The corded setup with generator was a pain but did work. The cordless works much better for me. I find it's best to stay in the 2" diameter and smaller range with it but it will certainly cut larger. You can cut flush with the ground as the blades are flexible.

Another option I've used is an extendable limb saw with flexible blade. Works best with someone pulling the tree as you saw to keep the blade from getting pinched. This option will also let you cut flush with the ground.

I also agree that you would find having a chainsaw to be invaluable with 12 acres.

dsb

/ Clearing Trails #8  
bmac,

One more thing I have found with ATV's in gerneral, more so with a 2x4 though, is that they are very prone to rearing up and flipping backwards in our territory(didnt have to worry about that when I lived in Miami /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif). I have done it myself and seen several friends do it just trying to climb a powerline or creekbed. It happens VERY QUICK and the bike WILL land on top of you.... Make sure they wear helmets and respect the machine, it can be a blast...

If you work around people mouths you can surely handle a chainsaw /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Again, respect is the thing....

/ Clearing Trails
HGM,

Thanks for the warning. I'm being very careful in the trail design to minimize hazardous terrain. All slopes are fairly gentle (for an ATV) and there are no side-slope (off camber) areas. And the kids have been warned that the creek is a forbidden place. Our rule is "no helmet - no riding". That goes for me too.

<font color="blue"> If you work around people mouths you can surely handle a chainsaw </font>

Well, I'm not sure I would totally agree with that, but thanks for the vote of confidence. My thoughts are that there isn't much demand out there for a one-handed (or even a three-fingered) dentist. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Therein lies my concern about chainsaws.

However, I'll probably break down and buy one (along with chaps, helmet, visor and ear protection). If any of our locals sees me decked out with all of that protective garb, they'll probably think aliens have landed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clearing Trails #10  
I'm not familiar with the types of timber you have in Georgia, but I'm blessed(?) with acres of Honey Locust. The thorns are a constant problem in the tractors, truck, trailers, ATV and dirt bikes tires. I've not had trouble with the saplings trunks I've cut down but the thorns are a pain. Slime became one of my 'best friends' last summer in the ATV and dirt bikes.

Steve