Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes?

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #1  

inseeme

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I have an RTV900 but my brother and I have the bug to buy two new Honda CR250X dirtbikes, just wandered if anybody on this site had any experience with these bikes. Don't worry the RTV isn't going anywhere I love it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #2  
I don't know where you live but around here there is little area the atv's can ride, and even less for off road bikes.

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #3  
My brother rides a Honda dirt bike, he has had several of them over the years and had very good luck with durability and reliability. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Personally I'm a Yamaha guy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #4  
Although it has been a few years ago, I was sponsored by a Honda dealership when I raced motocross. That was a pretty cool deal for me. Anyway, I don't have info on the specific bike you are considering but I know Honda fairly well. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Since you are buying a new bike, I don't see how you can go wrong with the CR series Honda bikes. They are about as durable and reliable as you can get.

I've owned more bikes than I can count and even ran several that I didn't own. In order, my favorite four dirt bikes would be Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Nothing against others, but I've personally raced each of the above mentioned bikes and had great success. I have had a few other brands that I didn't care for at all, but I won't mention them. I figure it would be best to just mention the ones that I really liked. Anyway, good luck! I'm sure the CR250X would make a great bike for you.

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #5  
Hi Not sure which bike you mean. Honda does not make a cr250x. They make a cr250r(two stroke). a crf250r(four stroke) and a crf 250x (four stroke). My son has a crf250r and a crf250x. He races the crf250r and trail rides the crf250x. They are both very good bikes. The r is meant for racing and the x is geared more for trail riding. Other than gearing and tire size they are virtually the same bike. We have had many hondas over the years and have found them to be very reliable and have great resale value.

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #6  
Inseeme,

This is the cross country version of the CRF 250 moto-x bike.
If all your doing is trail riding with no moto-x what so ever I would look at Honda's XR series. These are bullet proof and been around for years. Any modern (2003 and up) 4 stroke race bike is going to need rebuilt and I'm talking a new top end. Some of the new race bikes last longer than others, thats why we race Yamaha's, have both 250 and 450 YZF's. These bikes rev to 13K and don't last as long as you think. The 2 stroke are cheap to rebuild $200 to $300 a year (piston and rings) 4 stroke race bike with valves, valve job, piston rings can easily cost $800 an above, trust me. Do your self a favor and ask around, do a google search ask a bike mechanic.

Malvern

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #8  
1Bush2hog There are quite a few mistakes on that site. The bike they show as a cr250x is a crf250x. The bike they show as a crf250r is a crf250x. I owned 2004.2005 and now 2006 crf250r's and crf250x's. If you go to www.honda.com you will see they do not and never have made a cr250x. The site you are showing is not Honda's web site.

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #9  
my brother and two of his buddies bought xr250s in mid 80's, they had the best times. If I could redo my bachelorhood, I would do what you are contemplating.

/ Anyone here know anything about dirt bikes? #10  
Sorry Rogator - The site I linked is indeed wrong

Honda used to only have the XR's (4 strokes) and CR's (2 strokes)

Even the dirt bike world is not as simple as it used to be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the clarification - how do you like the newer models?

I never road a honda dirt bike - rode just about everything else during my time and just sold my last one - a KTM 620 EXC

The ol' knees aint what they used to be /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif