Bent RTV bed and tailgate

/ Bent RTV bed and tailgate #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Man we are having a stroke of serious bad luck around here....

Today while dumping I must have backed into the pile to far, the tailgate looks to have caught the oil filter protection housing.

The tailgate bent out so far it will not close and the RTV bed is bent inward towards the middle. The RTV lights now are an angle towards the middle of the RTV.

Any idea how much a new tailgate and bed will run me? I know some of you actually replaced the metal beds, what did you all use?

I can post pics if you need them.

Thanks.
-Mike Z.

/ Bent RTV bed and tailgate
Here are some pictures, I am sick to my stomach.

Full view of the backend.

-Mike Z.

Right light view, notice stress point.

-Mike Z.

Left light view, notice same stress point... as right light view in previous post.

-Mike Z.

/ Bent RTV bed and tailgate #5  
Yikes! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Bent RTV bed and tailgate #6  
Mike,

Sorry to hear about that. I know the feeling.

Last summer the better looking of the two of us was out mowing with the JD 2210. Just couldn't stay off the area with new seeding. Eventually worked her way over until she started getting stuck. After working it back and forth for a while she had it angled down in a ditch. Instead of waiting for help she decided that she would get the HPX Gator and pull the 2210 out, by herself. Of course the 2210 is hydro so unless someone else was available to operate it .....

Anyway, she gets the Gator and while backing it up to hook things up it starts to roll. As luck would have it, the 3-point arm on the 2210 lined up perfectly with the tailgate on the Gator. Looked like you took a big hammer and drove it right into the tailgate, urgh. Fortunately no one was hurt, physically anyway. I eventually blocked it up with wood and used my press to straighten it.

Looks like yours will be more involved to straighten out. Good luck with it.

dsb

/ Bent RTV bed and tailgate #7  
No name calling at me now, but I've bent up my share of metal in the past (not that I've really stopped). I can't see much from your pics, but I'd think that your bed can be fixed relatively easy. I'm also sure that your tailgate can be straightened as to be functional, but it will always be ugly.

I have a shop full of metal working, metal cutting, metal bending, and welding tools. I've created enough of of my own reasons to practice. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif If you want to post some additional pics of the underside of the bed, inside of the bed, and the under/side of the bed, I can provide you with enough info to most likely enable you to fix your bed. The same goes for the tailgate if you want to just try to make it functional for now.

Hey, Thanks for the advice and offer to look at more pics. I stopped by my neighbor today who has a press. When I get some time, HAH (in the middle of the farm rebuild) I will end up stopping by and trying to straighten it (the bed) out.

The issue with being bent and dented is that it is bad enough not to close or work at all now. I may run without a tailgate for a while, but the bed must be worked on to get the tailgate or a replacement to close it up. We haul a lot in the bed area.

I was thinking of replacing the tailgate with a heavy rubber/plastic material. That way if this happens again, at least I will not damage the bed.

I'll see if I can get some more pics of the bent bed area in a day or so....

-Mike Z.

Any ideas on how to get the bed off with ease? Any gotchas or things to look out for?

Thanks in advance.
-Mike Z.