Where is RTV work light harness connector?

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #1  

PRW587

Tractor
Kubota RTV900
Want to add front and rear work lights to my RTV. Kubota wants over $100 for each kit. I've found some lights (at $16 per) that look like they would do a fine job. Have some questions, though, for anyone who has already done this.

1. Most lights I found were 55 watt. These are 35 watt, so would not be so much load on battery/generator. I plan on two front and two rear. What do you think?

2. Can use an ON/OFF/ON switch so cannot turn on both rear and front lights at same time. Has anyone done it that way? Were you pleased?

3. Where is the connector Kubota supplies to connect the harness for their work lights? There is a 15 amp fuse on the vehicle labeled "work light", but don't want to tear into the vehicle harness to see where it goes. Is there a connector in the front for a switch, or is that part of Kubota's package?

Thanks, Guys!!

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #2  
I have two work lights on the front and two on the back. They are the Kubota/Curtis worklights. The install kit comes with a relay that switches the power line for the lights. The power line is in the back near the fuse box, but it won't do you any good without the relay to switch it on. The relay is rated at 15 or 20 amps and the Kubota lights draw 3 amps apiece, so the work light fuse (I think it is 15 amps) will also handle the load.
I originally installed my lights with a single pole - double throw switch (ON-OFF-ON) thinking I wasn't sure how much current the relay would take and that I would only run either the front or rear lights, but not both. Problem was unless I paused long enough between switching from front to rear I blew the dashboard 5 amp fuse. I could never figure out why. Anyhow, I rewired the power line to two separate switches and from there to the two front lights or the two back lights and now I can run all four at once and I don't blow fuses anymore.
My two cents worth, the Kubota/Curtis lights are worth it just for the relay and the wiring diagram. I don't think I still have the wiring diagram or I would sent it to you.
Andrew

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #3  
Checked my manual and the work light wiring is Red/Yellow and Black, in the wiring bundle below the fuse box. The Red/Yellow wire is only hot when the relay closes. The relay couples the Red/White wire coming off the 15 Amp work light fuse to the Red/Yellow. If you wanted to wire the worklights directly to the fuse look for the Red/White wire coming off the 15 Amp fuse. My manual shows a Red/White wire coming off the 10 Amp fuse as well, for the cigarette lighter, so be careful.
Andrew

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #4  
Hey PRW587...did you ever get your lights installed?
Andrew

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #5  
I am going to install a light to shine out the back so that I can feed the horses at night.

Is there an existing relay that I can tap into? Do I even need a relay for a 55 W light? IF there is a relay, where is it and where should I tap in.
I have a switch to install next to the headlight switch that I will use to turn the rear light on and off.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. A picture is worth a 1000 words also.

Thanks.

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #6  
I bought Peterson 55w 3x5 lights at the local parts store. I think they are about $15 each. I also bought 2 relays, 2 pigtails for the relays, and 2 switches which probably cost a total of $15. I then found the wire coming out of the fuse block for the work light circuit and plugged the relay for the front lights in to that one. Then I found another circuit (can't remember what it was but it was 15 amp) and plugged the relay for the rear lights into that. I then mounted the switches on the dash and wired them in to the relays. I put 2 lights on the front and 2 on the rear. Everything works great. It does pull the engine down when you switch them on but I'm not worried about it as it's well within the load the alternator is made to handle.

I used trapazoid lights on the front which throw out a longer narrower beam than a flood light. The lighting is perfect for night driving. I used floods for the back as I figured I'd be using them for backup lights and for rear work lights. It worked out really well and that thing really lights up the night.:D

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #7  
Partsman, do you know what the load limit for my alternator. I plan on installing 85w on the front of my rtv this weekend. Thanks

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #8  
Bobby57 said:
Partsman, do you know what the load limit for my alternator. I plan on installing 85w on the front of my rtv this weekend. Thanks
I bought about $200 worth of parts and service manuals with this thing and I can't find a spec on it anywhere.:mad: I'm running four 55W halogens on mine (which are the same wattage as offered from the factory lights) plus an electric lift for the snow blade and haven't burnt the alternator up yet. They are also built to accept a winch so I think you'll be fine.

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #9  
Partsman2 said:
I bought Peterson 55w 3x5 lights at the local parts store. I think they are about $15 each. I also bought 2 relays, 2 pigtails for the relays, and 2 switches which probably cost a total of $15. I then found the wire coming out of the fuse block for the work light circuit and plugged the relay for the front lights in to that one. Then I found another circuit (can't remember what it was but it was 15 amp) and plugged the relay for the rear lights into that. I then mounted the switches on the dash and wired them in to the relays. I put 2 lights on the front and 2 on the rear. Everything works great. It does pull the engine down when you switch them on but I'm not worried about it as it's well within the load the alternator is made to handle.

I used trapazoid lights on the front which throw out a longer narrower beam than a flood light. The lighting is perfect for night driving. I used floods for the back as I figured I'd be using them for backup lights and for rear work lights. It worked out really well and that thing really lights up the night.:D

Partsman2, thanks for the information. I found two existing plugs back by the fuseblock. I assume that these are the ones you are talking about... Do you know if there is anything on the existing harness up by the dash for the switches, or did you run new wires? I would guess that there are, but I haven't found them... Any advise is appreciated.

/ Where is RTV work light harness connector? #10  
horsinaround said:
Partsman2, thanks for the information. I found two existing plugs back by the fuseblock. I assume that these are the ones you are talking about... Do you know if there is anything on the existing harness up by the dash for the switches, or did you run new wires? I would guess that there are, but I haven't found them... Any advise is appreciated.
You may have already figured this out. I used 2 relays, one for the front lights and 1 for the rear. I mouted those on the back firewall where a couple of other relays were already mounted. I ran the hots from the factory connectors that you are talking about to the relays and grounded the relays to the frame. I then located hot wires under the dash and used splice locks to connect the switches to those hot wires. This is OK because the switches pull very little juice since all they do is activate the relays. Mine has a heater so I used that hot wire to splice into under the dash. I then had to run wires from the hot side of the switches to the relays. I grounded the lights as well as the switches to the front firewall and ran the hots from the relays to the lights. I assume you are using relays. I wouldn't consider hooking it up any other way because otherwise you will continually burn up the switches as they are not made to carry that much load. I may be telling you something you already know. I hope this helps.:)