RTV900 Two Year Maintenance

/ RTV900 Two Year Maintenance #1  

lloyd123

Silver Member
Tractor
RTV-X1100C
Has anybody actually followed Kubota's two year maintenance schedule for the RTV900?

Some of the required items:

* Replace fuel line
* Replace radiator hose and clamp
* Replace power steering oil line
* Relace intake air line
* Replace master cylinder inner parts
* Replace remote hydraulic hose
* Replace rear brake cylinder seal
* Replace front brake seal

The only items I did were replacing the coolant and brake fluid. I can't imagine how much it would cost to do all the other items.

Last edited:
   / RTV900 Two Year Maintenance #2  
it also probably say that it's recomended that you take it in to have those thing done by a certified tech right? just so they can blead some more money out of you.if that much stuff needs to be changed out after just two years that rtv ain't worth the money you payin for it.

/ RTV900 Two Year Maintenance #3  
Nope. Two years and going and other then a oil change I have not done anything. Not to say that you shouldn't, but common mechanical sense applies here I think. Just my opinion of coarse.

Kevin

/ RTV900 Two Year Maintenance #4  
My thoughts are it would depend on the hours as to if I'd even consider many of those items. If you had a thousand hours or more I'd be looking at all to see if they are showing signs of failure. Most people are not getting enough hours to justify major service.

/ RTV900 Two Year Maintenance
Art,

That's what would make sense to me and Kubota does list most other maintenance items on an hourly schedule. The items I listed in the first post are scheduled by time - two years.

There's also the inner air filter that Kubota says needs to be changed every year. If anything an air filter's life span would entirely depend on the amount of air passing through it (hours) and/or the amount of debris that has to be filtered. Just saying that it needs changing because it's been a year makes no sense.

/ RTV900 Two Year Maintenance #6  
lloyd123 said:
Has anybody actually followed Kubota's two year maintenance schedule for the RTV900?

Some of the required items:

* Replace fuel line
* Replace radiator hose and clamp
* Replace power steering oil line
* Relace intake air line
* Replace master cylinder inner parts
* Replace remote hydraulic hose
* Replace rear brake cylinder seal
* Replace front brake seal

The only items I did were replacing the coolant and brake fluid. I can't imagine how much it would cost to do all the other items.

I have to go along with your line of thought. Many of those items appear to be listed as if on a 2 year service requirement on a piece of equipment that is used 40 hours per week for commercial service. However, over time brake fluid can become contaminated from the initial break in process and, contrary to popular belief, antifreeze does lose it's rust inhibiting properties. Not changing it at specified intervals is just asking for premature internal rust problems. So, unless you are talking about a hunk of junk that you paid $100 for and you intend to throw away, I'd take appropriate measures to comply with reasonable fluid changes. I've walked away from buying many pieces of equipment and vehicles when the owner demonstrated a total lack of intelligence in understanding what is required to maintain a piece of machinery. I'm not interested in paying for someone else's stupidity.

However, there is a difference between prudent preventative maintenance and wasting money on replacing items that do not need replaced. The items you listed above are items that can be replaced upon showing symptoms of wear or impending failure. If I were going to rely on the RTV as my sole form of transportation across Africa, I'd likely go ahead and have all the items mention replaced at a certified shop by a certified technician. Since that is not likely the case with you, I think by changing the fluids that can, over time, cause permanent damage by being ignored, you will be fine. Judicious preventative maintenance will not only lengthen the life of a mechanical item, but will also allow it to operate as designed during that lifetime.