Which UTV for Me?

/ Which UTV for Me? #12  
jcmseven said:
Fellow Posters,

So I need a vote from the panel. Polaris 700 or Rhino, which one should I buy? John M

Don't know about the Polaris, but the biggest gripe that I can find with the Rhino is the locked rear, doesn't have a differential and if you have any kind of agressive tires at all, it will shred your lawn when you make the slightest turn, I really hate that, reminds me of the old Honda three wheelers.:mad:

/ Which UTV for Me? #13  
milkman said:
Don't know about the Polaris, but the biggest gripe that I can find with the Rhino is the locked rear, doesn't have a differential and if you have any kind of agressive tires at all, it will shred your lawn when you make the slightest turn

Yes, I think that would be true. That is one reason I didn't go with the really aggressive 589 tires. I have 27" Maxxis Bighorns on my Rhino. It does not leave any marks in my lawn and the tires are plenty aggressive. I can also say that in 2 years my Rhino has never been back to the dealer for anything and I've never had to fix anything on it. I do not regret the purchase. I'm likely going to buy another UTV to add to my group, but because of the issues I've personally witnessed with Polaris, I can't consider them at this time. I'm sort of wondering when Honda is going to release their new UTV.

I think the Polaris would be a viable choice if you considered the extended warranty a requirement and made sure that your dealer had a pickup/delivery policy as well as a loaner policy. Those are the reasons my attorney is going to keep his Ranger until it is out of warranty anyway. BTW, good luck with whatever you choose! If you do get a Polaris, I hope it is one that never has to go back to the shop.

/ Which UTV for Me? #14  
milkman said:
Don't know about the Polaris, but the biggest gripe that I can find with the Rhino is the locked rear, .......

The Polaris has a 3 position switch on the dash board that controls the differential. In the down position you have an unlocked rear differential. In the center position the diff is locked. In the up position the Ranger is in 4 wheel drive.

/ Which UTV for Me? #15  
first choice for me is the john deere hpx. second choice for play and work is the polaris ranger xp.the hpx can go through alot more mudd than the rtv can and i like the style of the hpx thats why i chose the hpx first. now it's not a hill jumper but you can have alot of fun on it and i dought it that you can tear anything up on it because they are really tough. they will outlast anyutv outh there in my opinion.they just lack suspension travel for real jumping.

/ Which UTV for Me? #16  
Dargo said:
I think the Polaris would be a viable choice if you considered the extended warranty a requirement .......

When I left for my deployment my Ranger had 50 hours on it. I was concerned that if something happened after the warranty expired that my wife would pay whatever the shop wanted to fix it. When I was home for the 4th of July weekend just before I left, I bought the 5 year extended warranty. I was able to get the 5 year warranty for $800. That is $400 less than it usually sells for. I bought it from a dealership in Florida. They also give a pretty good discount on Ranger accessories and offer free shipping on items $250 or more. So far, I have bought a winch, brush guard, headlight guards, roof and windshield from them. When I get home it's getting wheels and tires.

/ Which UTV for Me? #17  
Tractors4u said:
The Polaris has a 3 position switch on the dash board that controls the differential. In the down position you have an unlocked rear differential. In the center position the diff is locked. In the up position the Ranger is in 4 wheel drive.
That plus EFI would really sweeten up the Rhino!:D

/ Which UTV for Me? #18  
I own an 05' Rhino that I use to plow my 2.5 mile (yep 2.5 miles) driveway in the winter. It plows great. I also haul ALOT of firewood with it and pull a wagon full of wood at the same time. I have had some issues with my Rhino but nothing really major.
I looked at the Ranger for about 2 seconds and decided I didn't want to go down that route. I will tell you why buit bear in mind this is just my opinion.
My buddy owns a Yamaha dealership and he used to work on Polaris all the time. And I mean ALL THE TIME !!! I have seen all types ofPolaris' in there with as little as 10 hours on them with MAJOR problems. He finally refused to work on any more of them because he said they were overwelming his mechanics duties.
it is true that the Rhino does have a locking rear and it will chew up the lawn but the Ranger really can't chew up anything but your bank account if it is never running.
RTV is a great machine but it is pricy and HEAVY !! I would love to have one however.
This is just my .02 cents.

/ Which UTV for Me? #19  
you could just wait for the 07 hpx .then you will have a really nice machine frome what they say.i love my hpx the only thnig it's missing is alittle more shock travel. and john deere hpx is the most reliable utv out there.

/ Which UTV for Me?
Chewing up the lawn is not a major deal to me, as I do not have a lawn. So, the Yamaha's weak point is really not an issue with me. I went by the Polaris dealer today and looked and drove one of the 700's again. It seems nice, but a little rattlely. I also thought the parking brake should seem a little tighter. The biggest problem I have had with Yamaha is I cannot find one!!! Apparently the 2007's have not arrived yet and our local dealer does not have any to look at. Our nearest other dealer is in Asheville, and after two attempts to go actually price one, I waited for a sales associate that never came. I was underimpressed with the dealer, and they only had a 450 one to even see. The dealer in my hometown has two, but that is two hours away and he said these machines were so popular there he would not go off retail. The local Polaris dealer says the machines he sells never come back for repairs, only routine service, but I do not fully believe him on this point. To me, it also seems the Yamaha is a little better priced, but not if they will not come any off retail pricing.

John M