The new ASV Scout

/ The new ASV Scout #2  
Now I have something else to add to my ever growing list of things I can't afford!

/ The new ASV Scout #3  
I deal with the ASV undercarriage allot on a differant brand of machine and I would be concerned with the use of that system in any muck over half the idler deep. The drive motor support bearing fails fair to much in a "clean" application to actaully place it in the mud.

/ The new ASV Scout #4  
I'm betting that you will not touch that for less that 60K.

/ The new ASV Scout
Thought I'd revive this thread from last fall. I saw an article in Compact Equipment which says that the ASV Scout is selling for $25,000 - $35,000 depending on options. Lots of money but looks like a rather serious machine. I haven't seen a good description of what you can do with the Hydraulics but they are talking flow up to 16. 3 gal/min which should be able to work a number of attachments depending on what is available to hold the attachments. Never see anything about that. Hauling up to 4000 lbs and having a removable dump body would be a big plus also.

Could give the Toolcat a run for it's money.

/ The new ASV Scout
Don't know wha they are offering track wise. I can't find a whole lot on them besides the Compact Equipment article and ASV's website.

/ The new ASV Scout #8  
I read that article in Compact Equipment, plus Construction Equipment also had an article with a bit more information in it. They seem to really like it, but of course, I've never read a review in a magazine that didn't gush over what they were reviewing. Price seems to be around $30,000.

The bed holds 1.3 yards of material and the 50hp perkins engine should do the job, but I'm at a loss as to why anybody would want such a small dump truck? My full sized loader holds a yard of material and I can haul it just as fast as the ASV dump truck, so why would I want to buy another piece of equipment that does't haul very much material?

The thing that really kills it for me is the enclosed cab does not have AC. It does have heat, but who in the south wants to be in a machine without AC?

One misconseption about tracks is that they do not grip in mud like tires do. Tracks lay down on the ground and the drive sprockets roll the machine over the tracks. The principle is totally different then how a tire works. The tracks on the ASV are 15 inches wide and only have 2.5 pounds per square inch of preasure. This means that they will pretty much float over most any soft material.

The reason a tracked machine gets stuck is when the tracks spin. When that happens, your in big trouble!!! hahaha

They did mention in the article that they have some special tracks that are for lanscapers that will be almost impossible to destroy the grass with. They are of a special material and design to do this.

Eddie

/ The new ASV Scout
Eddie,

Can't argue with you about the air conditioning. Would seem mandatory in the south. Heater sure sounds good up here in Vermont.

As far as capacity. I don't have a loader which moves anywhere near that amount of material so it could be helpful. Also looks like it's something which might get out in the woods to help bring back firewood, or logs. Maybe even in the winter.

/ The new ASV Scout #10  
catvet,

I agree that it just might be the ultimate utility vehicle. The tracks and HP will allow it to go where no other UTV or even an ATV can go. I didn't think of snow, but that would just add one more element that it would excell.

Not counting my earlier complaint about the lack of AC, I still have trouble with the $30,000 price tag. Especially when I can buy three Kubota RTV's or any other UTV for that much money. If one got stuck, I'd just drive the next one until it got stuck and then the third one for the same money as one ASV costs.

Or I could buy one high end diesel UTV and think of that $20,000 I still have in the bank when I get it stuck.

Eddie