Anyone else's RTV hard to shift?

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #1  

horsinaround

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 Kubota F3080
Wasn't there along thread on this forum about shifting difficulties on the RTV? I know I have read something some time ago. I searched, and can't find it...

Does anyone else have trouble shifting their RTV? Mine is a 2006 and it has less than 50 hours, but it is a royal pain to change between ranges or from forward to reverse. Even pulling the little knob doesn't help.

Interested if there is help out there. Will call the dealer next week.

Thanks.

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #2  
Horsin,
I would not say mine is hard to shift just a little particular...
For example to go into 4WD sometimes I have to feather it forward or reverse and **** into 4WD or come out.... once I learned that seems to help allot... does not take much just a few inches one way or the other... and it pops right in...I have not heard of any fixes etc from the dealer on this...
Good luck..

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #3  
I do! I have to rock the unit like a little kid on a rocking horse to get it in gear sometimes. It's ok for me but my wife has fits getting it in gear. My has the knob thing (technical term) also that's supposed to to help but doesn't. Horsinaround, please post any info received from your dealer!

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #4  
I've got an 06 with the knob thingy (another technical term) with about 45 hrs on it. It's a little stiff but is starting to free up some.

I read on here somewhere that it makes a huge difference after you do the 50 hr filter and fluid change. I've got the filters and I'm going with the super udt for the 1st change at least.

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift?
I talked to the dealer and he said it stinks, but it is normal. Just rock it back and forth and it should go in. You are right, the knob thing that kubota put on it to resolve the issue is more of a gimmick. It is also in an inconvenient place to reach.

The dealer said after you get two to three hundred hours on it things will loosen up.

Not what I wanted to hear. What about the long post that there was a while ago... Does the forum delete posts that are inactive?

Thanks.

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #6  
By the time mine reaches a couple hundred hours it will be out of warrenty! Hope it gets better!

I would just like to add.........what a great work horse this machine is and a joy to drive. I've started cutting and hauling wood and I'm just amazed with this orange tank!

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #7  
horsinaround said:
Wasn't there along thread on this forum about shifting difficulties on the RTV? I know I have read something some time ago. I searched, and can't find it...

There was it doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Try this thread. It's not as complete but it does address the issue.

I've never had to rock the machine. If it doesn't want to come out, just hit the gas pedal a little and then it should work.

As noted, time and tranny fluid changes help the issue.

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #8  
Occasionally I have also experienced the difficulty in changing gears but it is usually only when the RTV's drive train is in a bind like when on an incline. I usually just have to put it in neutral first for a second then it goes into gear. If that doesn't work then I use the shift assist knob which works. I wouldn't consider it a gimmick at all. It does, at least on mine, release the hydro pressure that allows me to shift on the occasions when normal shifting is difficult. The only problem I have with the knob is its placement. I find it awkward to pull the knob with my right hand while reaching across with my left hand to shift since you have to keep the knob pulled out while making the shift. It would be much easier in my opinion to have the knob to the left of the steering wheel.

/ Anyone else's RTV hard to shift? #9  
Hi guys, just new to the forum. I got one of the first RTV 900 out. In fact second one my dealer got in. I have had trouble with the shifter since day one and it is still the same after three years. Dealer says it takes time for the pressure in the transmission to release.
I live in hilly county and it is always in a bind, which is when it sticks and won't come out of gear. If you have to stop because you run out of power, it takes about 30 seconds to be able to get it out of gear.
Also have had trouble with the gauges. Not as good as my 3130 by any means.:eek: Old Coot