Suzuki 500

/ Suzuki 500 #1  

Gizmo36

Platinum Member
I have a Suzuki Quad Master 500 4X4 it only has 800 miles on it . it stop pulling I thought it was the belt. Pull the cover off the belt looks new .what would be the next thing that would brake .It is going to be in the transmission.I need all the help I can get.I have never work on one before.

Attachments

• PICT0320.JPG
    PICT0320.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 377
   / Suzuki 500 #2  
I've never worked on one, but it looks like the same kind of drive as a snowmobile which I have repaired. The belt can "look" good but if it's narrower that it's standard it will not pull from a start. The other thing that can mess up with snowmobiles would be if one of the pulleys is sticking and doesn't change size like it's designed. I don't think there would be anything in the transmission that could keep it from pulling unless it had no oil and it was getting ready to lock up. One last thing to check would be to make sure the brakes are not dragging. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Richard

/ Suzuki 500 #3  
Hey there, behind the clutch there is another centrifical clutch, the problem is more than likely there. Make sure that there isn't anything going to get into the moving belt clutches, attach the ground lead to a good ground ( you should have had to disconnect it to remove the cover and put it out of the way of the moving pulleys) then make sure the quad is in neutral, start it up and give it some throttle and see if the belt pulleys are doing their thing. The pulley in the front should squeeze together and the larger one in the back should go apart to let the belt lower itself into it. If this is happening then hold the brake (someone to assist would be recommeded) and put it in gear then give it some throttle see if it also works the same way, if not or if it doesn't work as stated above then the centrifical clutch isn't working, if everything works that you can see then something may be wrong inside the trans itself. If it is the clutch behind the outer clutch then you may want to purchase a repair manual from your local dealer or online. I hope this helps alittle. Have a great week! Let us know what you find. And most of all good luck with your repairs I hope it is simple and easy.
Lar

/ Suzuki 500
I started it up put it in gear and ever thing works right. there is a big spring behide the big one in the back .I think i will have to take the transmission apart .has any one ever had one apart.

/ Suzuki 500 #5  
Gizmo36 said:
I started it up put it in gear and ever thing works right. there is a big spring behide the big one in the back .I think i will have to take the transmission apart .has any one ever had one apart.

I like to apply the K.I.S.S. principle, are you sure the transmission selector is in fact putting the transmission in gear?? Maybe unhook the linkage and mover the selector lever on the transmission by hand to make sure it is working??? I would try anything to prevent taking the tranny apart. Good Luck.

/ Suzuki 500 #7  
I have a polaris 400 auto. This happened to me & I found out the problem was in the rear or secondary clutch I made the repairs for around $30.00.Hey Gizmo, Check out fourms.atvconnection.com & click on the sizuki link ask these guys .That's how I found what was wrong with my polaris. I looked at your picture. With the back wheels off the ground, Put it in gear with the belt cover off . Give it gas & watch the belt it should start to climb the front clutch. while, the rear clutch should open up & the belt will fall lower into the groove. BEE CAREFULL WITH THAT CLUTCH COVER OFF !!!!! Don't let it grab your clothing or body parts

/ Suzuki 500
The belts and the rear clutch all work right.it just don't move the wheels.thinks for the web site i am look at it.

/ Suzuki 500 #9  
can you hear any noises like it's trying to move ?Mabe it's not going into gear :confused:

/ Suzuki 500
It sounds like it allways did .When I hit the gas it made a pop sound and did not move .I has not made any more sounds the clutchs turn the belt gose up and down on the Clutch's.The Suzuki place wants 85$ and hour to work on it .I give it to some one for parts before I will pay that.