Getty Up Mule Speed Kit Review

/ Getty Up Mule Speed Kit Review #1  

Matt_Meiser

Silver Member
A few weeks ago I decided to order the Getty-Up-Mule speed kit off Ebay. To allow others to have some information other than the seller's hype, I'm providing this review of the kit I purchased for my Mule 610.

Ordering/Shipping
I ordered the kit off Ebay from seller rooster5072 and received it via USPS Priority Mail a few days later. The kit cost $31.95 + $4.95 for shipping for a total of $36.90.

The Kit
The "speed kit" consists of a 5/8" diameter by 2-1/2" long by 0.072" wire size spring, 3 self drilling screws, and a 1/4" drill bit. I found the exact same spring on Ace Hardware's web site for $4.49. Ace - Century® Extension Springs Why a drill bit is included is beyond me--who would own a drill and not have a 1/4" drill bit? The packaging was a stylish letter-sized security envelope with hand-written "610" text. Total value of this kit is maybe $6, if you buy at your local hardware store in quanties of 1.

Installation
The instructions say to use the provided drill bit to remove the three rivets from the triangular shaped governor cover located behind the driver seat under the bed, remove the cover, and remove the governor spring which is the lighter-weight spring just under the cover. This spring is replaced with the provided spring.

Next, the instructions say to start the mule to check the idle. I could clearly see that the new spring was holding the throttle off the idle stop so I didn't bother. The instructions say that if the idle is too high, to bend the tab holding the throttle return spring toward the back of the mule by 1/4" to correct the problem. The throttle still was being held off idle, so I bent the tab as far as I could. I still found that the mule wouldn't return to idle completely. The instructions say to use WD40 to lubricate the linkages. In my experience, WD40 and dirty environments are a bad idea so I used some teflon lube which drys to a very slick, non-tacky film. A this point, I found that I could make the throttle return to idle, but I also found that the throttle wouldn't return reliably to any one position. The new spring was overpowering the throttle return spring. I figured I could pick up a new spring for the throttle return at the hardware store.

Finally, the instructions said to alter the cover before reinstalling it using the provided screws because it would rub on the new spring. Luckily I chose to wait for this until after I tested it out.

Driving Impression
Before installing the kit, I checked the RPM reading on my Tiny Tach on my Mule after driving it in high gear, at full throttle for nearly the entire lenght of our flat, 1/4 mile deep lot. After several trials, I found that I was consistently running at 3300 RPM. Following the installation of the Getty-Up-Mule kit, I found that I was running...3300 RPM???? There was no change in maximum RPM. Since this kit wasn't chaning the "gearing" of the transmission, this meant there was no way I was running any faster.

The Aftermath
Mad that I'd wasted about 1-1/2 hours of my time and $36.90, I proceed to do what I now wish I would have done in the first place which is to loosen the cross bolt on the governor linkage and adjust the vertical shaft by several degrees using a finishing nail through the vertical shaft's hole as a guage. I did this a couple times and adjusted the mule to run about 3600 RPM in the above test before calling it quits due to an appointment. I plan to make a further adjustment to get closer to 4000 RPM.

At this point, I contacted the seller through Paypal demanding a refund. I did so to create proper documentation for Paypal if things didn't work out. After 2 days, the seller had not responded, so I escalated the dispute to complaint. Paypal promptly contacted me saying that they had reviewed the case and had determined that I was eligible for a full refund. I did have to send the parts back to the seller at my cost. Today I received a refund from Paypal after they verified delivery of the return to the seller.

Once I escalated the dispute to a complaint, the seller finally responded through another channel. Highlights of his email include calling me a liar and stating that I am "one out of 200 that has a problem not fixed". Not something I'd be openly admitting.

The Verdict
Don't waste your money on this kit. If you want to go faster, grab a drill bit (borrow one from a friend if you don't have one,) remove the cover, and adjust your governor for free.

/ Getty Up Mule Speed Kit Review #3  
Matt_Meiser said:
A few weeks ago I decided to order the Getty-Up-Mule speed kit off Ebay. To allow others to have some information other than the seller's hype, I'm providing this review of the kit I purchased for my Mule 610.

Ordering/Shipping
I ordered the kit off Ebay from seller rooster5072 and received it via USPS Priority Mail a few days later. The kit cost $31.95 + $4.95 for shipping for a total of $36.90.

The Kit
The "speed kit" consists of a 5/8" diameter by 2-1/2" long by 0.072" wire size spring, 3 self drilling screws, and a 1/4" drill bit. I found the exact same spring on Ace Hardware's web site for $4.49. Ace - Century® Extension Springs Why a drill bit is included is beyond me--who would own a drill and not have a 1/4" drill bit? The packaging was a stylish letter-sized security envelope with hand-written "610" text. Total value of this kit is maybe $6, if you buy at your local hardware store in quanties of 1.

Installation
The instructions say to use the provided drill bit to remove the three rivets from the triangular shaped governor cover located behind the driver seat under the bed, remove the cover, and remove the governor spring which is the lighter-weight spring just under the cover. This spring is replaced with the provided spring.

Next, the instructions say to start the mule to check the idle. I could clearly see that the new spring was holding the throttle off the idle stop so I didn't bother. The instructions say that if the idle is too high, to bend the tab holding the throttle return spring toward the back of the mule by 1/4" to correct the problem. The throttle still was being held off idle, so I bent the tab as far as I could. I still found that the mule wouldn't return to idle completely. The instructions say to use WD40 to lubricate the linkages. In my experience, WD40 and dirty environments are a bad idea so I used some teflon lube which drys to a very slick, non-tacky film. A this point, I found that I could make the throttle return to idle, but I also found that the throttle wouldn't return reliably to any one position. The new spring was overpowering the throttle return spring. I figured I could pick up a new spring for the throttle return at the hardware store.

Finally, the instructions said to alter the cover before reinstalling it using the provided screws because it would rub on the new spring. Luckily I chose to wait for this until after I tested it out.

Driving Impression
Before installing the kit, I checked the RPM reading on my Tiny Tach on my Mule after driving it in high gear, at full throttle for nearly the entire lenght of our flat, 1/4 mile deep lot. After several trials, I found that I was consistently running at 3300 RPM. Following the installation of the Getty-Up-Mule kit, I found that I was running...3300 RPM???? There was no change in maximum RPM. Since this kit wasn't chaning the "gearing" of the transmission, this meant there was no way I was running any faster.

The Aftermath
Mad that I'd wasted about 1-1/2 hours of my time and $36.90, I proceed to do what I now wish I would have done in the first place which is to loosen the cross bolt on the governor linkage and adjust the vertical shaft by several degrees using a finishing nail through the vertical shaft's hole as a guage. I did this a couple times and adjusted the mule to run about 3600 RPM in the above test before calling it quits due to an appointment. I plan to make a further adjustment to get closer to 4000 RPM.

At this point, I contacted the seller through Paypal demanding a refund. I did so to create proper documentation for Paypal if things didn't work out. After 2 days, the seller had not responded, so I escalated the dispute to complaint. Paypal promptly contacted me saying that they had reviewed the case and had determined that I was eligible for a full refund. I did have to send the parts back to the seller at my cost. Today I received a refund from Paypal after they verified delivery of the return to the seller.

Once I escalated the dispute to a complaint, the seller finally responded through another channel. Highlights of his email include calling me a liar and stating that I am "one out of 200 that has a problem not fixed". Not something I'd be openly admitting.

The Verdict
Don't waste your money on this kit. If you want to go faster, grab a drill bit (borrow one from a friend if you don't have one,) remove the cover, and adjust your governor for free.
Thanks your post is good info