Honda Foreman cold starting help

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #1  

Boiler74

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
I bought a new Honda Foreman last fall, and it has sat for two months without use. Went out and tried to start it, no luck. I used the priming pump like the manual says, even shot a little starter fluid into the air intake. It fired, so I know I have spark. But it won't run. It does have gas in it and the fuel valve is on (just to ward off that question). Any advice or tricks to start this thing? (Aside from waiting for warmer weather!!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #2  
Try removing the spark plug and drying it off and making sure it is clean and gapped properly. You may have flooded it and the plug is wet.

Also, drain the carb bowl and allow any water to drain out and then allow to fill with gasoline.

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #3  
We have a new 06 Forman and starts every time. Have had 5 Honda’s before this one and never failed to start. Primer needs to be used along with the choke. Pump the primer as directed and pull out the choke. It should fire right away. If not and its under warranty take it back to the shop.

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #4  
I have a 2003 Rancher that sometimes sits for a couple months without use. Never had to use the primer. Just pull the choke and it starts immediately. Take it back to the dealer for service.

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #5  
Take seat off, use the prime on the bottom of the carb., and try pull starting it. Your battery might be weaker than you think.

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help
Thanks everyone. I'm in the process of charging the battery to see if that helps. If not, I think it's going back. I bought Honda for the reliablility....... not working out so well right now. I don't want to take the carb apart for fear of doing something to the warranty. It just acts like it isn't getting fuel. And I've tried to pull start it and no luck there either. So, we'll see.

Thanks again.

Josh

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #7  
I bought a new Honda Foreman last fall, and it has sat for two months without use

While the Honda's I had were always pretty reliable the carburators would easily gum up, IMO more so than other mfg. units, if I didn't use Stabil, especially when stored for two months without running.

Try draining the old gas out of the tank, and then opening up the drain plug on the bottom of the carb to get any remaining crud out of the carb. Refill with gas mixed with Stabil.

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #8  
Boiler74 said:
I bought a new Honda Foreman last fall, and it has sat for two months without use. Went out and tried to start it, no luck. I used the priming pump like the manual says, even shot a little starter fluid into the air intake. It fired, so I know I have spark. But it won't run. It does have gas in it and the fuel valve is on (just to ward off that question). Any advice or tricks to start this thing? (Aside from waiting for warmer weather!!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

my '01 rubicon always starts (down to -22); just replaced the battery and have NEVER used the priming method. my honda has the carb heater (not sure about the foreman, i suspect it does have it).

to start my rubicon, i always follow this procedure and it has never failed:

- full choke
- tweak the throttle one time (full gas)
- turn on key
- WAIT ~30-45 seconds depending on temp. the colder it is, the longer you wait (max = 45 seconds @ 15 degrees or colder)
- hit the starter button; GENTLY apply small amount of throttle

the key to this method is a strong battery.

good luck.

pf

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help #9  
I have an '03 Rincon and had a litllle trouble starting in cold weather, I had it serviced this past summer and that magically went away. The mechanic mumbled something inaudible about the initial setup but I was unable to catch what he had said. Now it will start quickly in all types of weather. If the quad is new, I woud go back for the first service and have them go over the entire thing and find the problem. May have been the initial setup from the factory. Also have a friend with an '06 Foreman and his battery went dead within two months of not using it. After charging the battery it would start fine, but would still lose power over time. After a week of sitting it would not start, finally dealer replaced the original battery and haven't had any problems so far. The dealer had mentioned something about the slow drain from the clock in the instrument panel. I don't think that a brand new quad with a clock in the instrument panel should destroy a battery in a couple of months, I think it was a bad battery from the start.

/ Honda Foreman cold starting help
Thanks for all the advice. I fiddled with the quad and did get it to start after putting some carb cleaner in the bowl and then some fresh gasoline. But, then it leaked gas out of the carb bowls drain. I guess the float needle was gummed up and stuck open, or something like that. I'm not exactly sure because as soon as I saw it leaking gas, I turned off the gas valve and loaded it up on the trailer. The dealer cleaned the carb, and now I know to keep stabil in each tank of gas. I'm also running the carb dry by shutting the gas valve off if it's going to be stored for a while. Live and learn.

Thanks once again.

Josh