RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07

/ RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07 #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
We should be in our new house by November '07 at the latest. What I thought would be an easy decision looks like it is going to be harder than I thought. So I thought I better post now since it looks like its going to take a while for me to make up my mind.

We are planning on buying one of the three by the time we get moved in. I have looked at all three but only driven the RTV. After about 10 min of starting and stopping the Hydro almost gave me a headach. Question, does it ever loosen up on the stops?

I have read many post on the RTV. By the number of post it seems everyone has a RTV with JD Gator comming in second. And today I stopped and looked at the 3010 Mule, gas model with the two bench seats. Priced around $9500.00. It looks as though all three models will be priced about the same $9500-$10500.

My uses will be:

Hauling fire wood and pulling a small trailer 50% of the time.

My property has hills everywhere (Western NC). So I need something that will pull a hill loaded ( bed and/or trailer).

Some trail riding and chores 50% of the time, 85% of trail riding on old logging roads.

I like the 3010 4 seater mule but not sure how much pulling power it will have with 3-4 people in it.
The reason for the 4 seater, my FIL died in Nov.'06 and my wife and I will be moving my MIL in with us once the house is complete. The bottom I will garden and crop is 500-800 yards by old road bed from the house. So this will be used to transport her to the garden. We have a small river that boarders our property and the bottom so lots of time spent there.

Anyone own the 4 seat Mule or know anything about them?

I like the JD Gator but just has two seats.

I have two Kubotas so I know the RTV will be a good choice. It does seem a little top heavy (hills)...anyone else think so?

RTV is diesel, Gator and Mule I can go gas or diesel...? If I chose to go diesel why not just go with the RTV since everyone seems to really like theirs. If I go gas will it have the power I need...and if gas cost about the same as the diesel why not just go with the diesel.

The problem is I really like the 4 seat Mule. But will I get the same performance out of it as I would the RTV or Gator? If I had not seen the 4 seat Mule it would be between the RTV and Gator. The 4 seater will come in handy since I have around 170 acers with old logging roads and trails. Plus my BIL has around 190 acers just across the highway with old logging roads nad all this would make for a nice Sunday afternoon ride.

This is going to be harder than buying a tractor!

Anyone know how the Mule woud stand up beside the RTV or Gator?

I bleed diesel but may go for the gas model if between the Gator and Mule.

/ RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07 #2  
Consider the following scenarios as a sudden rainstorm hits:

You: “I’m sorry, MIL and BIL, you’ll have to wait for me to come back for you because my Gator only carries me and Mrs. and a load of mulch in the back.”

OR

You: “I’m sorry, BIL, you’ll have to wait for me to come back for you because my RTV only seats me, Mrs., and MIL in a pinch, unless you want to ride in the back with the load of mulch.”

OR

You: “ I’m sorry, load of mulch, you’ll just have to wait for me to come back for the rest of you because my Mule has to haul me, Mrs., MIL, and BIL, and the bed is temporarily small.”

Which do you think will get you in the least amount of trouble?

/ RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07
I don't think that will be much of an issue. BIL has his own ATV. I also have an ATV but it will be used by my son.

My uses will mostly be work, my wife will use for just getting around the property with her mother and friends that visit.

The four seater will come in handy but at what price for power and towing when loaded down with 3-4 people.

I can see the UTV being used two or three times as much as the tractor so I want to make the bset decision.

/ RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07 #4  
If the majority of your use is going to be with more than two people then the Transmule is the way to go. I have not driven one but there is plenty of posts on internet boards for you to get an idea of the advantages/disadvantages and owner input about likes and dislikes. I own an RTV and am very pleased with it but I may have also been happy with either the Ranger or Mule 610 that I took test drives in. Ultimately I settled on the RTV because of the Hydro transmission and its "braking" feature and the power steering. I have the RTV for my property in WNC and the hydro is a great plus on some of the steep terrain and trails. I don't consider the RTV top heavy as most of its considerable weight is fairly low. I have had it side hill on some fairly steep terrain and it has been very stable. One thing you may want to look into if you go with gas engines is their cold-starting ability. I am pretty sure the Kawasaki is not fuel injected and cold weather starting may be a little more difficult. I believe the new Gators have fuel injection. Good luck on your research and decision.

nolefan said:
If the majority of your use is going to be with more than two people then the Transmule is the way to go. I have not driven one but there is plenty of posts on internet boards for you to get an idea of the advantages/disadvantages and owner input about likes and dislikes. I own an RTV and am very pleased with it but I may have also been happy with either the Ranger or Mule 610 that I took test drives in. Ultimately I settled on the RTV because of the Hydro transmission and its "braking" feature and the power steering. I have the RTV for my property in WNC and the hydro is a great plus on some of the steep terrain and trails. I don't consider the RTV top heavy as most of its considerable weight is fairly low. I have had it side hill on some fairly steep terrain and it has been very stable. One thing you may want to look into if you go with gas engines is their cold-starting ability. I am pretty sure the Kawasaki is not fuel injected and cold weather starting may be a little more difficult. I believe the new Gators have fuel injection. Good luck on your research and decision.

I would like to hear from people on the advantage/disadvantage of the Transmule. If it were my decision alone I would go for the RTV or new Gator.

The power steering, electric dump would be an add-on on the mule ( not sure about the power steering on the mule).

And yes 50% of the time I would need to haul 3-4 people so that is where the Trans has an advantage. The question is does that advantage off set the work aspect.

The cold starting will be an issue if it truly has cold starting problems. I do have the Kawasaki motor in my JD LX277 and have not had any problems with cold starting.

What town is your property close to in WNC? Maybe I could but the Transmule and use your RTV when you are in FL:D . You know just enough to keep it lubed up good;) .

/ RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07 #6  
Hunterridgefarm: I have been agonizing over this same decision for months now. I finally made up my mind to get the XUV in another month when it comes out and also one of these quick attach rumble seats.

My decision was always between the HPX and one of the Mules. The HPX was always considered the heavy duty work model compared to the Mules or the Rhinos. Rhinos are designed for high speed fun, not work. I never considered any of the second tier mfgrs or brands where the nearest dealer was over 50 miles away. If I need to spend $10,500 for what I really want with the power dump, roof, windshield, etc than I am not going to buy some no-name model from TSC or something similar to try to save a grand or two. I view top quality as a good investment. That's why I spent the extra money and bought a JD tractor. The main driver will be my wife and our granddaughter as a frequent passenger. A Rhino was the opposite of my needs. The Gator was the widest, lowest heavy duty model in my opinion. The Mule 3010-Trans has the neat seating option, but the overall impression of the dash leaves something to be desired. Gauges, switches,etc look like they designed and installed by a 10th grade shop student. I owned several Kawasaki motorcyles 30 years ago and they had better paint, welding and finish than the 2007 Mules.

If you think you might ever want a rigid cab, then you should buy the Gator or the RTV. Since you already have two Kubotas, I am sure you will enjoy an RTV. By the time you buy, the XUV will be on the dealers lots.

My neighbor has the mid size mule (610??) and one of these rumble seats. It comes on or off in a couple minutes without tools. He has a load of 800# plus when he hauls four adults in it. The RTV or XUV would easily outperform his unit.

Cabela's -- UTV Rumble Seat

gordon21,

Since I have a little time I want to look at the XUV when they come out. I have 1 JD dealer colse to me, 3 Kubota dealers and 2 mule dealers. So this will be the only three I look at.

I too thought the dash on the Transmule left something to be desired mainly no fuel gauge, should be able to add this on.

I have considered the rumble seat for the bed of the Gator. Could put the young people back there. Could also dump them out if they give me any lip:D

I will drive all of them several times before I decide. I need to consider all the options that I need to add, electric dump, sunshade, fuel gagues, etc in this equation. If I can get the HPX or RTV with all this for 10-11K and then add these options to the gas Mule and end up about the same price. I may be better off with the diesel Gator or RTV with a rumble seat in the bed.

But also need to consider my wife will be driving 50% of the time. We hope to have a pick-your-own operation going in about two years and the Transmule would be a good way to transport people to the field.

See why I need to start the decision process now:eek:

/ RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07 #8  
Pick your own? Apples or frasier firs??

gordon21 said:
Pick your own? Apples or frasier firs??

Pumpkins and indian corn in the Fall.

Strawberries, blueberries, figs, and veggies in the spring and summer.

/ RTV, Gator, Mule, by Nov.'07 #10  
Did you consider a smaller version of this for transporting people and picked items to and from the fields? Low sides, big flat area and OK for people if you added some hand holds along the edges of a wood deck. The tow ratings on the RTV and Gator are well above 1200# A 5'x8' 400# wagon, 4 extra adults and some produce and you would be within limits.

Make sure the deck is covered with loose hay in the fall and a couple hay bales in the center. City folks would come to YOUR site just for the neat hay ride.

A.B. Mfg. - Agrimaster 5 Ton Wagon