Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle

/ Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Hey there, I know these types of questions can lead to arguments but please lets not go there. I use to follow the ATV market but when I started my haying venture a few years back I gave up riding and following that segment. Now my farm has expanded and we have added an orchard and vineyard to the farm. So now I am looking to buy a Utility Vehicle for all around farm use. I have a ton of dealers around here so I should be able to find just about any model or brand.

What I am looking for is either 4 or 6 wheel but I would lean more toward the 6 wheeled unit for added capacity and better stabilty. A dump box (either hydraulic or electric) is also high on the list of priorities. It needs to seat two people with easy access on and off. I do not need a cab but depending on price I would consider it. It also needs to be easy to drive so either something with an automatic transmission or a hydro tranny would be ideal as eventually my daughter will drive it and my girlfriend will also be using this as well as a couple other people so it needs to be easy to shift and drive. Also, it has to be able to cross a small stream (nothing too wide but at times it gets up to a couple feet deep and about 10 feet wide) I can go around if it gets too deep but it is a long way around.

So what is out there that will fit my needs and be reliable without breaking the bank. Is there any other options I should look at also as this is a new segment that I have very little experience with. Around here almost all the grape farmers run JD gators and they seem to have decent luck with them. Other then the Gators I don't see very many utilty vehicles in use.

/ Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle #2  
Take a look at the new gator xut. It just showed up on the deere website today. Lots of talk about them the last few months. I have an 06 gator hpx and no trouble with it, but I like the clearance of the new ones. JC

/ Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle
Ground clearance is an issue also, the more the better.

/ Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle #4  
What are your load goals ? The XUV will do 1000 pounds IIRC. If that's enough go that route, from what I've heard they won't be more then 10 grand or so.Also with the XUV the top speed is 30 now I think.
It also has a ton of ground clearance and a clutch enclosure so you can cross that stream with ease. Now you say you want lots of stability and lots of ground clearence. Me too but you have to compromise somewhere. I think the XUV will be stable enough for you though it's not like a 4-wheeler that can tip easy. Of course I've never driven an XUV so I don't really know. I have however driven a HPX and gator 6x4.

I used to own a 6x4 that thing was a beast. It could haul anything but was also slow moving and low to the ground. I think the capacity of one of those things is something like 1500 pounds. Now my current baby is my HPX it has a top speed of 25 mph (instead of the 6x4s 15), can haul 900 pounds, and is a bit higher up. Neither of these had a clutch enclosure because it isn't available (both are diesels, gas model of the HPX and XUV have them). I didn't really have many problems with water. We also have a stream but a couple feet is more then it gets to except during a flood, that's some pretty deep stuff. I've had it above my floor (barely) and made it across (barely) with both. Wouldn't recomment a load doing it though. That's why you are going to want a gas model XUV or HPX they have a clutch enclosure. Reliability on these things is amazing I run the engines hard and haven't had any problems. They're built like a tank.

If you don't have any super steep hills I think your best bet will be a XUV. Be sure to check out the kubota I don't know much about it but I know they are reliable and hard workers as well. Probably don't have the ground clearance that the XUV does though.

The ground here is fairly flat with a steep bank along the road where the house is. For years I use to help my neighbor (whos farm we just bought) and it was a case where I would ride on the trailer to go pick apples. When the trailer was full I would ride on the tounge of the trailer or the 3pt arms. Not the safest thing to do now when you think about it which is why I want the two seat utility vehicle. I want to be able to put some apples in the bed and maybe a few tools but also be able to pull a trailer full of apples. I don't know how much weight will be there but I don't want to have problems and I don't want to have a helper hanging off a tractor when we head down and back to get apples. I was thinking that the 6 wheeled version would allow me to haul apples in the box and pull the trailer but have the added weight of the longer frame and extra axle to help make it more stable. It may never be an issue but when my daughter is old enough to run it on her own I don't want to take any chances by having something that could be tippsy. I would think these things would be fairly stable to begin with but having very limited experience with them I just don't know so I had to ask.

I also plan on using this to run around the property and hay fields so it will get some use. I don't know how much ground clearance I need but I am use to our ATV which has around 10 inches and does a good job around here so I am thinking that is something to shoot for. I just don't want to be bottoming out in a rut from a tractor or if I have to go over something for what ever reason.

The water crossing is only in a few places when I circle the property and eventually I want to fix these areas so that they are tiled. Most are drainage channels that have filled in over a long time and need to be re-dug. One is a creek though and that will require a bridge of some thinking and nothing I am in the mood to worry about yet.

I would prefer a diesel motor since I have farm fuel on hand at all times and only buy a couple 5 gallon jugs of gas when I need them for the ATV or lawnmowers.

/ Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle #6  
I would definitely recommend you test drive a Kubota RTV. The worksite model includes the hydraulic dump bed with a cargo bed load of 1100 lb. Also the RTV has power steering as well as the hydrostatic transmission. Although it might not have as high of ground clearance (7.5 inches at rear axle) as the Deere that should not make quite as much of a difference if your concern just involves crossing water as opposed to rough terrain. What you may look at is the location of the air filter housing and see if that is high enough on the RTV. The Deere owners speak highly of their machines and if a dealer had been nearby I may have gotten one myself but I have been very happy with the RTV so far. It is built like a tank and weighs almost as much as one! Also it is a diesel.

/ Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle #7  
Was typing my first reply when you posted more information regarding your possible uses. The manual I have shows a towing capacity of 1300 lbs. I have not used it for towing yet but have had the bed weighed down pretty good with some 12x12 timbers I used on a project and it came up the mountain with them like they were'nt even there. One other observation I have made is it seems to sip fuel. I have attached a photo so you can kind of get an idea on clearance with the standard setup. You may also be able to make out part of the tubular frame where the rear hitch is attached.

Attachments

• Kubota RTV.jpg
    Kubota RTV.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 760
   / Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle #8  
Yeah I wouldn't worry about tipping with any of the UTVs. I totally agree with you on the diesel and was afraid you would say that. The reason both of my gators are diesel is because I also have a large diesel tank because we used to farm.

I get the feeling you should go with the RTV. Again I have no personal experience with it but I think for your use being mostly work it would be the best. They're built like tanks and I'm sure you could go with a weighted down bed and pull a trailer. I would say XUV all the way but since you want diesel you won't be able to get the clutch enclosure until later on in the year I heard. Although the clearance is a lot more then my HPX you could probably get by without one or at least without one until they come out with it.

I am not looking to buy until later this summer. Do you know when the XUV is suppose to have the enclosure available with the diesel?

As for the RTV, I have read on here where others have had trouble with the tranny being hard to shift. Is this still a problem?

/ Who makes the best overall Utility vehicle #10  
I know that there have been some posts regarding difficult shifting on the RTV especially some of the early models. Kubota did acknowledge this by adding a pull knob on the dash that helps release excess hydraulic pressure if your having difficulty getting into gear. I usually don't have to use it as it goes into gear pretty easy but on occasion, mainly when I am stopped on an incline or have the wheels in a bind the shifter won't go into gear easily until I pull the knob and then it shifts without a problem. I don't think you would have any problem on the terrain you have but I would definitely test drive several different brands, preferably on your property if possible, before making any decisions. I had researched and test driven both the Kawasaki Mule and the Polaris Ranger before I had given the RTV any thought. The test drive made a big difference especially when my wife took a turn and feel in love with the power steering.