Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #1  

LoneCowboy

Veteran Member
Ok, having gotten the ATV and doing a lot of seeding this spring and some fertlizing. For pieces smaller than 2 acres or so, it's much faster just to use the ATV than hook up the big one on the tractor.

So, I bought a cycle country spreader from the local shop for about $380 dollars including tax.
What a POS.
Truly, a total piece of junk, spread most of it on me, not the ground, never worked right (although had a nice control feature), mostly plastic, etc.

Then, I did tons of research and found Herd Seeders Herd Seeder - Seeders, Spreaders and Feeders
Called them up and ordered one of the ATV seeders

Wow
Big solid metal (cast iron?), galvanized bucket, big motor and it spreads correctly. (and adjustable to fix the spread). oustanding, best part is, it was $350 shipped.
worth every penny, highly recommended.

gt77atv.jpg

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #2  
The Herd spreader you show is a modified version of the M96, which is a great spreader. Its heavily built and works well. I use a 3pt version on my tractors and I'm sold on the quality. Its made in Indiana, mine is a couple years old and showing zero corrosion. The gears still spin freely. Everything is built well and it works like it is supposed to.

I had an Agri-Fab that was a total P.O.S. pull behind type spreader. I put the Agri-Fab by the curb for the trash collector and someone came by and took it off the pile. I was worried they would bring it back :eek:

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #3  
I'm so glad I read this thread as I am in the market for just such a spreader. I also had a tow behind Agri-fab speader....what a complete piece of junk and waste of money. Never worked right, I think the gears must be made of plastic. A couple weeks ago they had a 12 volt ATV spreader at the tractor supply, don't know if it was the "herd" company or not, but the price was about the same. I was afraid to buy it after my experience with the Agri-fab.

Any reason why I couldn't hook the Herd on the back of an RTV?

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's
Nope
look around their website, not only does that version have a UTV mount kit, but they have other trailer hitch style ones.
call them up, very helpful people

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #5  
Lonecowboy, was curious...what size atv are you using?

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's
Honda Rubicon 500CC (automatic, no shifting, almost perfect for what we are doing, plus the wife doesn't seem to get manual shifting. :rolleyes: ). That's not my ATV in the picture, I stole that from Herd's site. but it installs just like that.

works pretty well, and i do like the automatic, just gas and watch the implements.
It's working pretty hard though pulling a 6' chain harrow on aggressive. (and some fat guy on the seat. :eek: )

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #7  
I bought a Cosmo ground engaged from TSC, pricey at $600, but heavy duty, large capacity. It's the same exact unit as 3 pt, just has wheels added. Pull behind ATV, tractor, or jeep/pu. Photo attached

Attachments

• spreader.jpg
    spreader.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,110
   / Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #8  
I bought a Cosmo pull behind (ground engaged), from TSC same as the 3 pt, but you can pull behind tractor, ATV or truck. Heavy duty! Pricey too but built to last.

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #9  
As Bob S has said, the Herd Spreader is a good spreader. I have the M96 also and just love it. Have had now 4 years and my self and two neighbors use it each 3 times a year.

murph

/ Herd Fertilizer/Seed spreader for ATV's #10  
.I just had my Herd ATV model delivered today. I bought it based on what I read on this site. The quality seems very heavy duty. I also had an agri tow behind that was a waste of money.